Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
"The Men Who Built America". Great show.

Well I've only seen the first three episodes, and find it a charming fantasy, particularly the most recent one regarding Morgan and Edison.

Then there is the depiction of the Homestead strike. The workers were entirely too innocent and unroganised compared to accurate accounts, but then neither were the Pinkertons depicted as sufficiently vile. The scene of the rafts of Pinkertons floating down the river and being repulsed by the workers of Homestead and the other mills would have made for some fine, though expensive television. Then there is the little matter of the attempted murder of Frick. The program seems to imply a frustrated, desparate worker, rather than Alexander Berkman and his "Propaganda of the deed".

As always, the prop-master in me is agitated when I see something like this series, where the SAME $5.70 1918 Ingraham Square Black Mantle Clock appears in the 1880's homes or offices of virtually all of the wealthiest men in the country . The 1925 radio horn loudspeaker in Edison's 1879 Menlo Park laboratory is also a panic. The "Old Man" certainly was ahead of his time!

I realized 1/2 way into the 4th episode that it was the first one running again! Shows how much I can work, post here and watch TV at once lolYeah, it's part documentary, part soap opera I reckon. But the sets are mostly really engaging and,for TV, pretty good. Regarding the Pinkerton v unions, it's no Gangs Of New York!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Krass's "Carnagie", and Nasaw's "Andrew Carnagie" are fine jumping off points, covering in sympathetic detail the many talents of this brilliant, ruthless, sentimental and supremely generous man.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I realized 1/2 way into the 4th episode that it was the first one running again! Shows how much I can work, post here and watch TV at once lolYeah, it's part documentary, part soap opera I reckon. But the sets are mostly really engaging and,for TV, pretty good. Regarding the Pinkerton v unions, it's no Gangs Of New York!

Have you read Herbert Ashbury's magnum opus "The Gangs of New York"? The tale told in the Scorcese picture occupies but a few pages of Ashbury's tome, whiich is practically encyclopedic from 1810 or so to the coming of Prohibition. Utterly fascinating. A cheap trade edition came out as publicity for the picture, and is available at a nominal price.

Whilst looking for Ashbury's stuff, check out "The Bon Vivant's Companion, or How to Mix Drinks", a hilarious paen to the long lost days of Demon Rum on The Bowery, and a fine Mixologists guide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe