Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

That would be pretty amazing, if it were remotely true.

You are so easy to gaod into responding. lol

Actually it is more amzing than was portrayed. Frick was shot not once by the moron, anarchist scum, as depicted but three times---at point blank range. John Leishman was able to stop him from shooting him more. Leishman helped Frick up and then Frick tackle the scum. Firck was then not stabbed once, as in the show, but four times in the leg by the scum. Employees rushed into the office and stopped the malaise. Frick was indeed back in the office the next day. lol lol That is the rest of the story.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
You are so easy to gaod into responding. lol

Actually it is more amzing than was portrayed. Frick was shot not once by the moron, anarchist scum, as depicted but three times---at point blank range. John Leishman was able to stop him from shooting him more. Leishman helped Frick up and then Frick tackle the scum. Firck was then not stabbed once, as in the show, but four times in the leg by the scum. Employees rushed into the office and stopped the malaise. Frick was indeed back in the office the next day. lol lol That is the rest of the story.

I know the story well, and had attempted to post a pretty detailed account, but it disappeared into the aether. Leishman, according to the sworn testimony at Berkman's trial was more responsible for tackling Berkman, and it was the office staff that beat Berkman to a pulp.

Yes, Frick was back at work the next day. He was indeed a tough old bird. Oddly enough, Carnagie thought him "unbalanced".

Then there was the little matter of Frick's subsequent betrayal of Leishman, the man who saved his very life...

I have a pretty intimate knowledge of the old b*s**rd, a man once rated by The Wall Street Journal as one of the worst CEO's in history (this WAS before Bernie Ebbers and Al Dunlap), for the mother of an intimate friend of mine was once the curator of the Frick Museum, and I spent a summer in College indexing photostats of his personal correspondence for her.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Which is exactly what I said. :p

Well, not exactly, in that Leishman was more responsible for the "tackle", and the office staff for the beating. Unfortunately, aside from the personal and business correspondence, which believe me does not cast Mr. Frick in a particularly kind light, we have only Frick's friend Harvey's biography, a bit of hagiography along the lines of the memoir which is detailed in "The Late George Apley".

Frick was indeed an amazing man, and there was much more to him than the cartoon that emerged in the public consiousness in the wake of Homestead. I have no doubt that he was quite certain that he was, to quote one of our modern leaders, "doing God's work". He doubtless shared his absolute certainty of purpose with other strong leaders, for example Torquemada, Stalin, and John Brown.

I do note that in his personal life, he was very tender to his wife and children, had a sentimental attachment to the companions of his youth, and had an amazing, strong abiding love of art, and superb taste, and a gimlet eye.

Last edited:
Well, not exactly, in that Leishman was more responsible for the "tackle", and the office staff for the beating. Unfortunately, aside from the personal and business correspondence, which believe me does not cast Mr. Frick in a particularly kind light, we have only Frick's friend Harvey's biography, a bit of hagiography along the lines of the memoir which is detailed in "The Late George Apley".

Frick was indeed an amazing man, and there was much more to him than the cartoon that emerged in the public consiousness in the wake of Homestead. I have no doubt that he was quite certain that he was, to quote one of our modern leaders, "doing God's work". He doubtless shared his absolute certainty of purpose with other strong leaders, for example Torquemada, Stalin, and John Brown.

I do note that in his personal life, he was very tender to his wife and children, had a sentimental attachment to the companions of his youth, and had an amazing, strong abiding love of art, and superb taste, and a gimlet eye.

Let us not forget what legacy he left. He willed 150 acres of land in Pittsburgh to use as a public park. It still exists as Frick Park with a $2,000,000 maintenance fund. It is now 600 acres with the expansion due to the maintenance fund.
Following his wife's death his huge art collection was opened to the public as a museum. The Collection is one of the finest collections of European paintings in the United States. The former Clayton residence is now the Frick Art and Historical Center.
Frick got rid of Leishman by having him appointed ambassador to Switzerland. I could think of much worse ways to get ousted from the Presidency of Carnegie Steel. :p He did except after all. :p

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Let us not forget what legacy he left. He willed 150 acres of land in Pittsburgh to use as a public park. It still exists as Frick Park with a $2,000,000 maintenance fund. It is now 600 acres with the expansion due to the maintenance fund.
Following his wife's death his huge art collection was opened to the public as a museum. The Collection is one of the finest collections of European paintings in the United States. The former Clayton residence is now the Frick Art and Historical Center.
Frick got rid of Leishman by having him appointed ambassador to Switzerland. I could think of much worse ways to get ousted from the Presidency of Carnegie Steel. :p He did except after all. :p

Remember, too his New York home, and ITS art collection, which is now THE Frick museum.

Frick left fully 80% of his wealth to the public, let me note.

You are correct in that this is something that our modern titans could well emulate. In additon, Frick's legacy was not set up as a part of a propaganda machine, as was the legacy of some others.

Remember, too his New York home, and ITS art collection, which is now THE Frick museum.

Frick left fully 80% of his wealth to the public, let me note.

You are correct in that this is something that our modern titans could well emulate. In additon, Frick's legacy was not set up as a part of a propaganda machine, as was the legacy of some others.

Yes, the Clayton residence was one of his residences as I mentioned.

No matter what you think of Frick, he hwas not a hypocrite. You knew exactly where you stood with him from day one. He could be brash, loud and appear uncaring be he was honest. Like you say, his charitable giving was not an advertising machine as was Carnegie's Rockefeller's and a host of modern industry titans is. They have their name splashed on thousands of things while they are still alive.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the Clayton residence was one of his residences as I mentioned.

No matter what you think of Frick, he hwas not a hypocrite. You knew exactly where you stood with him from day one. He could be brash, loud and appear uncaring be he was honest. Like you say, his charitable giving was not an advertising machine as was Carnegie's Rockefeller's and a host of modern industry titans is. They have their name splashed on thousands of things while they are still alive.

Clayton was the Frick residence in Pittsburgh, built in 1882, and turned into the Frick Art center after the death of Mrs. Frick

THE Frick Museum is in his former Manhattan town house , built in 1913 to a design by Carriere and Hastings, with the intention of eventual use as a permanent museum. The collection in the Frick (New York) is truly in a class of its own. Clayton is a fine installation, but it pales in comaprason to The Frick>

Well, of course, I'd never have done it. Wanting and doing are two different things :p

I knew I could goad you as well. lol lol You know, of course, that the action by the anarchist scum resulted in 2,500 workers losing their jobs and the workers that stayed had their wages halved. The negative publicity actually helped Frick. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe