Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

rjb1

Practically Family
I watched an episode of "The Roy Rogers Show" last night (made in the early '50's). I enjoyed the show when I was young kid, and still do, but one thing that strikes me now is that the writers, and the kids watching, clearly did not have the word "anachronism" in their vocabularies (certainly the kids didn't, and I guess the writers knew that).
For those who haven't seen it, Roy (and Dale Evans) live in a cowboy-world in which everyone rides horses, carries six-shooters, and does Old-Western things like chasing the stagecoach robbers across the prairie. However, he also has a "comical sidekick" (Pat Brady), who drives a *WWII-surplus jeep* named "NellyBelle". This clearly places the actual time period as late-40's/early-50's.
However, last night's plot was about Roy's efforts to mediate a battle between the homesteaders and the cattlemen, complete with cattle drives, fistfights, and shootouts, just like the 1870's.
All that is odd and funny, but it's somehow even more so when they go back to the ranch-house and they have a 1950's refrigerator in the kitchen. (What??)
It's a strange world, but fun and entertaining, as long as I think about how I would have watched it in my kid days.
Also, at the end of the show, Roy and Dale sing "Happy Trails to You", so that makes everything all right.

It seems strange but yes rural America was thought to be floating between the 1860's and the 1950's. I watched a Lassie episode (i think) where they were just getting rid of the old icebox and got one of them there real eeelectric darn tootin' reeeefrigerators. They were sad to tell the iceman not to come anymore.

I watched an episode of "The Roy Rogers Show" last night (made in the early '50's). I enjoyed the show when I was young kid, and still do, but one thing that strikes me now is that the writers, and the kids watching, clearly did not have the word "anachronism" in their vocabularies (certainly the kids didn't, and I guess the writers knew that).
For those who haven't seen it, Roy (and Dale Evans) live in a cowboy-world in which everyone rides horses, carries six-shooters, and does Old-Western things like chasing the stagecoach robbers across the prairie. However, he also has a "comical sidekick" (Pat Brady), who drives a *WWII-surplus jeep* named "NellyBelle". This clearly places the actual time period as late-40's/early-50's.
However, last night's plot was about Roy's efforts to mediate a battle between the homesteaders and the cattlemen, complete with cattle drives, fistfights, and shootouts, just like the 1870's.
All that is odd and funny, but it's somehow even more so when they go back to the ranch-house and they have a 1950's refrigerator in the kitchen. (What??)
It's a strange world, but fun and entertaining, as long as I think about how I would have watched it in my kid days.
Also, at the end of the show, Roy and Dale sing "Happy Trails to You", so that makes everything all right.

Those were great episodes no matter how mixed the time periods were. It figured right into the children's minds of the time. They could pretend they were Roy Rogers in the same time period and nothing was wrong. When you went in and asked Mom for a sandwich when you were doen then Mom got the ingredients out of the same fridge Roy and Dale had. :p

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I watched an excellent documentary on PBS on the life of Billy the Kid. Finally understood the dynamics of the Lincoln County War, and got a lot more insight into the character of The Kid. Fascinating.

rjb1

Practically Family
"When you went in and asked Mom for a sandwich when you were done then Mom got the ingredients out of the same fridge Roy and Dale had."

Exactly right...

And we also ate breakfast with Kellogg's Sugar Smacks, just as Roy and Dale told us to do at the end of the show.

Stealing Lincoln's Body.
I've seen it before, but its still good on second viewing.

The whole "bronze" thing made me wonder. He was like a statue already. :p

I find it sad that his last living relative never had any children and died in 1985----Robert Lincoln Beckwith. Strange that even though only one of the Lincoln Children actually lived to maturity---he had three children, one died young but the other lived to maturity but their children either never got married or never had children. That line produced either strange, barren or offspring that never lived to maturity.[huh]
Timothy Lincoln Beckwith is NOT a Lincoln. His supposed father Robert had had a vasectomy six years before he was born and the doctor assured him that he was "completely sterile." He still managed to get money from the Lincoln family trust just to keep him from filing a claim later. :eusa_doh: Interestingly enough he is a lawyer with the Florida State Attorney's Office and lives in West Palm Beach. :rolleyes:

"When you went in and asked Mom for a sandwich when you were done then Mom got the ingredients out of the same fridge Roy and Dale had."

Exactly right...

And we also ate breakfast with Kellogg's Sugar Smacks, just as Roy and Dale told us to do at the end of the show.

Yes indeed. You even had a battery operated lantern with Roy's picture on it to use as a nightlight or to play cowboy with your friends with the genuine Roy Rogers outfit, guns and gun belt. :p Roy was a marketing genius. :p

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I'm introducing my wife to Game of Thrones Season 1. She bought me season 2 on blu ray, haven't started it yet as we can watch it together once she's caught up. I've read all the books (number six, where are you???), so no surprises for me. She's finding it rather shocking, but at the end of each episode, it's "so, what happens NEXT???"

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
I watched an excellent documentary on PBS on the life of Billy the Kid. Finally understood the dynamics of the Lincoln County War, and got a lot more insight into the character of The Kid. Fascinating.
I watched that the other night and I agree it was an excellent doc. Thankfully it was only 50 minutes long and not a Ken Burns epic.
jamespowers said:
He was once on the side of the law.
Barely!

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
I'm introducing my wife to Game of Thrones Season 1. She bought me season 2 on blu ray, haven't started it yet as we can watch it together once she's caught up. I've read all the books (number six, where are you???), so no surprises for me. She's finding it rather shocking, but at the end of each episode, it's "so, what happens NEXT???"

I have heard so many good things about this program, that I may have to get the box sets.

I'm currently watching the 80's TV series 'Robin Of Sherwood' box set, with my son, who loves it... it hasn't aged too badly on the whole. I was a huge fan as a teenager; I loved the music by Clannad.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Okay, to ALL The Walking Dead watchers:

Please tell me I am not the only one on this board who has read all of the comics (current) and watches the show, PLEASE!
And as for Maggie and Glen, I didn't get that. Why was Maggie angry at Glen's reaction to wanting to know whether she had been violated or not. That was silly, and more proof that only men write these crazy women characters on this show. Don't get me started to what they have done to Michonne's character!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
My kid made me read the comics a year or so ago. Took a little of the shine off the tv show for me. Now I'm wishing it could have been done more like the books.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe