Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Ha - meow!

I'd like to revisit that show, actually. I recently stumbled across an episode of Charmed on TV. Not one I watched, really, but it put me in mind as to whether and how all the shows I did watch in the 90s would still hold up. I suspect Buffy might be dubious - I'd certainly hate the last two series a lot more than I did back then. X-Files I loved for the first few series, when it was still in Monster-of-the-Week mode. Once it got too deep into the one-issue, alien conspiracy thing it lost quality, and they should never have even contemplated carrying it on beyond Mulder leaving. The first film was pretty risible, though I found the second much better. Where it really went wrong was when they stopped keeping it vague, and started to outright have actual aliens and whatever... the real genius of the early stuff was that as the viewer I wanted to believe Mulder's supernatural explanation, but Scully's rationalisation could not be dismissed. Once it lost the latter, it lost a lot of what really made it special.

I've spent the last year working my way through the M*A*S*H box xset, on and off. With Season 3 of The Walking Dead off now and the long wait for next Spring when the fourth series will hit free-to-air in the UK (I refuse to be suckered in to paying for subscription TV of any sort), I'm making rapid progress through that box again. As of last night, I'm well into season eleven... Soon be looking for something else. I have considered Game of Thrones, though I'd rather wait until I can get a good deal on a complete box set than buy them as they come out. I might go looking into Mad Men - they seem to be available cheap enough these days.

Ha ha! Well, the X-Files isn't as good as I remembered it, that's for certain. I don't know what I was expecting though. Old age clouds my memories! I do find that the alien episodes are particularly tiresome. I agree, I like the story presented (both Mulder & Scully's sides) and then the audience decides on their own.

I still like Buffy, but mostly just the first few seasons.

Methinks I'd best go back to watching 'Thriller' and 'One Step Beyond.'
X
BD

Ha ha! Well, the X-Files isn't as good as I remembered it, that's for certain. I don't know what I was expecting though. Old age clouds my memories! I do find that the alien episodes are particularly tiresome. I agree, I like the story presented (both Mulder & Scully's sides) and then the audience decides on their own.

X
BD

One Step Beyond?
[video=youtube_share;N-uyWAe0NhQ]http://youtu.be/N-uyWAe0NhQ[/video]

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up

X
BD
One Step Beyond is a good series.
I have that on DVD, 96 episodes I think.
What's neat about it, is they claim the stories are based on real events.

A good X-Files episode?
Depends on what you are looking for.
Season 6 Episode Arcadia. Mulder and Scully go undercover as a married couple (Rob and Laura Petrie) to investigate mysterious happenings in a planned neighborhood, where not following the Association rules can be deadly.
Season 6 Episode The Unnatural. A black baseball league in the 1940's (in Roswell NM) has a player that seems to be breaking many baseball records. Talented or something else entirely? An interview with the man hired to protect these players reveals a bounty hunter, who's face is very familiar to Mulder, because he's an ALIEN bounty hunter. Good episode IMHO.
Season 9 Episode Sunshine Days. Reyes and Doggett investigate two murders revolving around a house that is, at some points in time, identical to the Brady Bunch house. Wasn't their best one, and the last episode for the regular season (before the finale). Fun though.

A good X-Files episode?
Season 6 Episode Arcadia. Mulder and Scully go undercover as a married couple (Rob and Laura Petrie) to investigate mysterious happenings in a planned neighborhood, where not following the Association rules can be deadly.
Season 6 Episode The Unnatural. A black baseball league in the 1940's (in Roswell NM) has a player that seems to be breaking many baseball records. Talented or something else entirely? An interview with the man hired to protect these players reveals a bounty hunter, who's face is very familiar to Mulder, because he's an ALIEN bounty hunter. Good episode IMHO.
Season 9 Episode Sunshine Days. Reyes and Doggett investigate two murders revolving around a house that is, at some points in time, identical to the Brady Bunch house. Wasn't their best one, and the last episode for the regular season (before the finale). Fun though.
Oh geez! You know the episodes by number?!:doh::rofl: I have some episodes of One Step Beyond. I'll have to see about getting more of them....

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Oh geez! You know the episodes by number?!:doh::rofl: I have some episodes of One Step Beyond. I'll have to see about getting more of them....

I know WHICH ones I like, but not the numbers. I look those up on this interweb thingy. ;)
The box set I have of OSB is of the original episodes, as they were, so some are a bit washed out.
I also have the re-mastered ones, but there aren't 96 of them.

I know WHICH ones I like, but not the numbers. I look those up on this interweb thingy. ;)
The box set I have of OSB is of the original episodes, as they were, so some are a bit washed out.
I also have the re-mastered ones, but there aren't 96 of them.
Sure. That is what they all say. :p Gee, I think I want the cleaned up versions. :p I have about five cleaned up versions and they are great. Along with another of my favorite of the genre---Lights Out! :p

earl

A-List Customer
In keeping with my utterly tragic inability to watch television, today I managed part of the American Horror Story pilot and the first episode (all 11 minutes of it) of [The Regular Show.]
Actually watched both seasons & liked it a lot. Looking forward to the upcoming season. Earl

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab

A good X-Files episode?

I love 'One Step Beyond'! I prefer it to the 'Twilight Zone' and other similar series.

I only have Season One of the X-Files. After what I've seen, I don't think I'll be purchasing any more. Ha ha!
X
BD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld