Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Hey rjb1, I was an English major myself once.

Claiming that The Beverly Hillbillies is like Shakespeare because it makes use of the same traditional tropes, stock characters, and comic conventions is fine. But that doesn't mean that The Beverly Hillbillies is the same thing as Shakespeare. Nobody was watching it in the sixties - or is now - for enlightenment or edification, just for lowest-common-denominator entertainment. And that's fine, entertainment is great... but it's not the same thing as literature.

Anyway, despite your learned analysis, I don't think there's much to be found in The Beverly Hillbillies that reveals the essential truths of the human condition! But hey, that's just my own opinion...

rjb1

Practically Family
"Hey rjb1, I was an English major myself once."
Actually, I'm a mechanical engineer - I just play an English major on TV (or about TV). (but thanks ...)
The "back story" on that Shakespeare/Beverly Hillbillies essay came from being in a high-school English class at the time that the Beverly Hillbillies were on. We had to learn/memorize Shakespeare's comedy conventions and I noticed that The Beverly Hillbillies were doing all the same stuff.
I wrote a paper on it and got an "A", although my English teacher (a real English major) was also skeptical. (But it was fun to research and write...)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
"A Piece of the Action." My favorite Star Trek episode of all time. Kirk and Spock end up on a planet of gangsters. "Nobody's going to put the bag on ME again!'

"A Piece of the Action." My favorite Star Trek episode of all time. Kirk and Spock end up on a planet of gangsters. "Nobody's going to put the bag on ME again!'

With Vic Tayback as the crime boss who ruled the planet. lol

vic-tayback-1-sized.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender

I happened to see that one just recently myself, one of those can't sleep in the middle of the night type of things. I don't know what was funnier, that furry fedora Kirk had on, or Spock calling a V-12 Cadillac a "flivver."

I happened to see that one just recently myself, one of those can't sleep in the middle of the night type of things. I don't know what was funnier, that furry fedora Kirk had on, or Spock calling a V-12 Cadillac a "flivver."

A flivver?! :rofl: I'll take one if that is what they think of them. :p The plush fedora was at least possible. The tight fitting 60s suits were something else. :p

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

Yeah, I noticed the furry fedora, too. That whole episode is just hilarious.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I actually really like the gangster episode and will watch it again and again. The singing hippies, though...if I never watch it again, it will be too soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe