Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

JAVIER

Practically Family
I went through Season 2 of The Borgias, this weekend.
250px-The_Borgias.jpg

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Very interesting documentary on our Irish speaking channel TG4 - CSÍ (pronounced CSI Fada) - a series of programmes that features Irish historical crime stories but reveals unexpected twists and turns with elements of a who dunnit, modern forensic analysis and cold case review.

Tonights episode was Murder in East 51st Street:

This is an extraordinary story of Murder and Suicide set in New York in 1942 but rooted in the heart of Co. Clare. In recent years Eugene McMahon (a retired school teacher) from Connolly, Co. Clare discovered he had a secret Aunt he never knew about - his mother's sister. It was after a family funeral, when a parcel of old photographs, newspaper cuttings and letters from the 1940's surfaced - they revealed a shocking story. This newfound Aunt - Mary Hayes - had emigrated from near Miltown Malbay to New York sometime in the twenties. There she met and, in the face of family disapproval, married an Italian - Frank Traina. They'd 3 children together but the marriage was not to last. By 1942 they had separated. Frank, however, it seems never accepted the separation and, according to newspaper reports, he made arrangements to meet Mary in downtown Manhattan "in a swank apartment building" where he worked as a handyman, with a view to some reconcilliation. Mary travelled to meet him, but it ended in tragedy. He threw Mary off the 6th Floor and jumped to his death. Mary survived several hours, long enough to give an account to the NYPD before succombing to horrific injuries. Their three children Robert( 6) Muriel (4) and John (2) were left orphans. The Murder / Suicide was big news in the New York papers at the time but here in Ireland it was hardly even spoken of. Initially Mary's family were told the couple died in a car accident.

Nearly 70 years later Eugene McMahon wants to find out more about his own family's hidden history and what happened to his three first cousins. Is this a fools errand or can you really find a needle in haystack?

CSÍ follows his search with exciting results and reveals the real story of Murder in East 51st Street.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Well, that Floyd the Barber was kind of Hippy dippy. :p

In 1963 Howard McNear, (Floyed the Barbour) suffered a severe stroke, leaving him with little mobility, he could stand for short periods, but his left arm was useless. The cast and crew begged him to come back, and he finally relented. He manged to last through season 8 but died soon after. Very tragic, definitely not funny!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe