Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

damn that's nice love the green. would love a full trucker in that.

stuart has continued to step up the workmanship and the leather quality.

the other panels wont necessarily be like that. youll get more grain and creasing, but those wide horizontal striations are a fundamental part of the leather, not something that pops up over time.

They are starting to come out on the other panel and some of the back. Yes, not all LWs do this or on every panel. On my jackets it’s mostly the sleeves.

In Latin America men still wear long pants and tourists wear shorts.

1717298441637.png

TartuWolf

One Too Many
I missed the shorts discussion, but I'll still add my thoughts:
Hate shorts personally.
My strategy for this keeping cool this summer : linen pants and linen long sleeve top with a hood.
Hood helps keep the sun away from the neck, ears, etc..
Long sleeves and long pants keep the sun away from the skin as much as possible.
I guess in terms of hot weather I tend to look at how people dress in the desert - long robes with hoods, not shorts and t-shirts.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I missed the shorts discussion, but I'll still add my thoughts:
Hate shorts personally.
My strategy for this keeping cool this summer : linen pants and linen long sleeve top with a hood.
Hood helps keep the sun away from the neck, ears, etc..
Long sleeves and long pants keep the sun away from the skin as much as possible.
I guess in terms of hot weather I tend to look at how people dress in the desert - long robes with hoods, not shorts and t-shirts.

Desert robes such as thawbs perform a triple function in their specific dry environment: they allow air to circulate during the day while protecting the skin from the sun, but they also (to some extent) keep the body’s heat in at night when the desert gets cold. Try wearing a thawb in a jungle and by mid-morning it will cling to your upper body like a shower curtain and you’ll be dragging it around like a corpse all day. Your trousers and shirt are in no way analogous to a robe since you can remove the shirt and still keep the trousers. This is not a small difference.

Shorts, on the other hand, ARE analogous to numerous culture's short skirts for men (such as the Roman tunic) or loin cloths worn by men the world over throughout history (also in extreme desert environments, eg, the Navajo). They are also somewhat analogous to options like the sarong where the length is easily modified. Go to India or Indonesia today and you will see many many laborers with their sarongs tied up between their legs or rolled up high at the waste to bring the hem above their knees. Are these "shorts"? No, but they serve the same function and are much more analogous to shorts than linen trousers and shirts are to the robes worn by desert-dwellers.

This thread’s antagonism to short trousers is understandable since it’s mostly a leather jacket community. I get that. If you think shorts look silly, fine - but implying they don’t serve a practical function or don't have precedent throughout human culture and history is simply not accurate.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld