Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
@tmitchell59 , right back at ya. Love my Spiegel.

PXL_20230423_193159138~2.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Spiegel just in from @AHP91 . Size 42, Horsehide. Thanks!

View attachment 510830

@tmitchell59 , right back at ya. Love my Spiegel.

View attachment 510850
Perhaps you are both already aware but Spiegel was one of the earliest Chicago based dept stores, first catalog published in 1800’s. The original west loop warehouse burnt to the ground in the fire. I wonder if it’s reasonable to assume the jackets were made by the same maker supplying jc penny. The jackets to me more strongly resemble the JC Penny m/c styles that had this label:

3A6E7A37-E745-4EF5-B7DE-8D2934A54E1A.jpeg

I had one but sold it on account of the 22” back length. I’m trying to find pics as I can’t seem to find any online but the resemblance to the Spiegel jackets is compelling. Especially those top of sleeve zips, and the zippers on Will’s jacket, with the exposed tape are identical to the penny’s I had. All ring pulls.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps you are both already aware but Spiegel was one of the earliest Chicago based dept stores, first catalog published in 1800’s. The original west loop warehouse burnt to the ground in the fire. I wonder if it’s reasonable to assume the jackets were made by the same maker supplying jc penny. The jackets to me more strongly resemble the JC Penny m/c styles that had this label:

View attachment 510860
I had one but sold it on account of the 22” back length. I’m trying to find pics as I can’t seem to find any online but the resemblance to the Spiegel jackets is compelling. Especially those top of sleeve zips, and the zippers on Will’s jacket, with the exposed tape are identical to the penny’s I had. All ring pulls.
Tony, you are Chicago, Chicago is home to more than catalogs. The City has a great Heritage, home also to the WLS-Worlds Largest Store-. Sears Roebuck and Company is being sold, lost, forgotten but the impact will last forever in garments we wear, in our tools and even in the house we may live in. With that heritage comes the connection to the Windy City. Willis Tower will never stand as tall.

I will seek out these JC Penney jacket you mention, but the label you pictured is perfect example of a California Sportswear Co. made jacket. "Made in the West" plus the CSC horsehide tag. I've got other jackets with this same Penney label "Made in the West" not made by CSC.

"Made in the West" does not say California Sportswear Co. or California. I do have another suspect in the West, but in the West.

The Sportclad (JC. Penney label) pre-dates this JCP label. I see more Sportclad labeled MC jackets. I will look with a keener eye at the MC jackets with his label.

Yes, it was red, but faded to kind of orange. No leather tag, I think it fell off, the Spiegel tag was hanging by a couple of threads. The zipper was a Ykk replacement.
It looks outstanding with that fresh red lining! I've never done that, mostly the cost, but this takes the jacket to a new level and it is well worth it.

I did read refresh myself with your past comments.. thanks

JackBroChill

New in Town
Yes, they are a tad long, and I have long monkey arms. But, if you button the sleeves they stay tight on the wrist. Mine is a medium- I probably could’ve went with a small.
How much have you noticed this stretch in the body over time? Pulled the trigger on this, torn between L and XL. Really just a matter of what I want to wear under it (or not), the XL sleeves are a bit long and I think that would bother me more than the tightness I feel with it buttoned up on the L.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe