Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Alexander Circle A Brand

P1020740.JPG

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
First day of school in MN hat.

Good day. Today is the first day of school in MN. I was at the gym early this morning preparing for the school Gymnnastics/Dance/Karate/Wrestling/Soccer Fall programs first day. Welcome 2011-12 school year!

Here is me opening the business this morning wearng my Stetson Whippet in a tawny color. Limited lights as I am being "green," cheap as my wife says when she stumbles in the gym.

Photo-on-2011-09-06-at-1109-M.jpg

Thanks for leting me share. Eric -

Herzen

One of the Regulars
Good day. Today is the first day of school in MN. I was at the gym early this morning preparing for the school Gymnnastics/Dance/Karate/Wrestling/Soccer Fall programs first day. Welcome 2011-12 school year!

Here is me opening the business this morning wearng my Stetson Whippet in a tawny color. Limited lights as I am being "green," cheap as my wife says when she stumbles in the gym.

Photo-on-2011-09-06-at-1109-M.jpg

Thanks for leting me share. Eric -

Great hat, and it suits you well. Good luck on the new school year! My wife teaches and today is her first day as well.

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Geez, who doesn't look good in a Whippet? Gotta be one of the most flexible hats out there. That one looks great on S.B.G. but they also look great on people who look nothing like S.B.G. face-shape-wise. Great hats!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Great hats Al, great food, too.

Dobbs today, found in an antique store in Gloucester, MA. Pic is a little blurry, the way I feel today.

Thanks, Perry! I remember well when you first posted that beautiful Dobbs. Looks great on you.

Really enjoyed seeing everyone's photos from the long weekend. I don't know which to comment on first! Rusty's Borso, Aureliano's featherweight, David's pickle banded panama, everything AL puts on his head... these are just the highlights I remember without looking back.

I'm a little glazed from 1250 miles of driving and assembling and repairing furniture in my daughter's new apartment (and an epic visit to IKEA on Labor Day weekend.) I did have a chance to sneak away for a great visit to Optimo and an even greater opportunity to connect with Lounge friends in Chicagoland. A highlight was time spent with Josh - including a mobile phone ebay surfing and bidding session from inside a parked car on Western Ave in the midst of a torrential hailstorm. Vintage hat shopping doesn't get much better than that. We decided that a Lounge get together in Chicago is definitely worth getting on the agenda for the coming year.

more later,
Alan

Thank you, Alan, you are most kind! I look forward to hearing more about your trip to Optimo and your mobile bidding adventure with Josh. We narrowly missed meeting up with him a few weekends back...

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Great hats, everyone. I have a lot to catch up on from the weekend. And to boot, with the exception of a day trip with my wife and kids out to Lake Okoboji, IA, I stayed home all weekend working.
Did get a chance to wear the Belamey homburg out to Okoboji (photo taken just before we left) and am wearing it again today. Getting used to it.
001copyje.jpg
, Also had a great gig playing jazz piano with some really wonderful musicians Saturday night. It felt like a Baron Bowler kind of night, and that turned out to be the right choice!

Chicago weekend summary

We were all in Chicago area this weekend helping to set up my daughter's new apartment. It's a nice hi-rise a block off Lake Michigan in Evanston with three bedrooms, two terraces and a hell of view. It's cheaper than campus housing, but Donna and I figured that a months rent here would have paid our first apartment rental for four years.

I got leave on Saturday morning to make my first visit to Optimo. Josh got there before me and we spent a long time wandering back and forth between the felts and straws, drinking in what can be accomplished with vision, good craftsmanship and the best materials available today. It is an amazing operation... beautiful space, thoughtful service and gorgeous products. AL posted fantastic photos a few weeks back on the Fedoras Afield thread... I didn't take a one. Josh and I talked quite a bit, comparing the features and construction of these fine new hats to the vintage models we love and collect. The new felts sourced from Portugal are really quite wonderful and finished on a par with the best vintage. I wouldn't know where to begin selecting one... at least not on my first visit. The fine Panamas are extraordinary... it was thrill to be able to touch them and experience their incredible lightness and fineness.

After drinking in Optimo we took Tiffani's suggestion for a nice place to sit and have lunch a few blocks further south. Josh brought along a few of his favorite hats (including his great new early Nutria western) and we sat and chewed the fat and some bagels, not noticing that they were looking to head home until a half hour after they had closed. Managed to grab a couple of quick photos in back... before the rain and hail sent us scurrying for the car.

new_apt7.jpg

Josh was wearing a great Dobbs Forty...

new_apt6.jpg

I had two trusty traveling hats that could stand to be wedged into a fully packed station wagon... my Lee Panama - somewhat floppy from the humidity and by this time, suffering severely from an inferiority complex - and my 1940's Royal Stetson Vita-Felt:

new_apt5.jpg

Safely in the car and listening to the threatening pings of hailstones on the hood, we looked through our current ebay watchlists on our mobile phones and hung out until an auction I was watching ended. Not having spent a cent at Optimo, I bid loaded for bear, and if the old Dobbs homburg turns out to be 1930's as I hope, it will be my best iPhone win to date.

IKEA got the rest of my non-Optimo spent budget the next day and we worked to put it all together, fix broken stuff and clean messy stuff, before making the drive back to Buffalo on monday. The girls posed for a couple of photos before we pulled away...

new_apt4.jpg

with the last sister kiss getting a little interrupted by a passing cute college guy.

new_apt3.jpg

cheers,
Alan

Last edited:

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Great post, and it sounds like you had a great time. Knowing your track record with vintage, I'd love to see what sort of Optimo you'd come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld