Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattface

Practically Family
With my grandson, enjoying the old New Hampshire pastime (well, we invented it the other day) of throwing pickles in the river.

I'll never understand how 2 states which are geographically so close together can be culturally so far apart. Here in Vermont we throw olives in the river.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Started with olives here as well. I believe it was in 1772 that Lord Dunstable's gamekeeper noticed that a large pickle dropped into a body of water produced a bigger splash. The pickle revolution began, leading in due course to the Anerican Revolution.

Olives quickly found themselves restricted to the martini glass, into which they are still frequently thrown.

bobm

A-List Customer
Wonderful thread and so nice to see so many fine and different hats. On that end, I see a couple of gents sporting the Borsalino Allessandria and looking great. I had the exact same hat and in the 20+ years that I owned it, wore it fewer than a dozen or so times and recently sold it. I just never felt that hat, with the tall blocked crown looked well on me - and others agreed! It is amazing how nice it looks on others though.
Now, about that Borsalino Featherweight - is that available new or only vintage and is it noticeably lighter weight (and more suitable in warm weather) than "standard" felt hats?

Bob

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Labor Day Weekend...Felt Like Felt

Hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable Labor Day Weekend. There certainly was a plethora of splendid hats on display here over the past few days. Well done, gentlemen!

Saturday morning Dim Sum. Mandarin Kitchen, Bloomington. Optimo Silverbelly.

At an antique show later in the morning. Picked up this Dayton Company, Minneapolis, 'Imported Fur Felt' fedora, with original sales slip and hat box.

I just love this characterful old lid that I also found. Adam Executive Quality Mr. Airwate, in Sterling. Asking price of $2.00 and it fits me like a glove, too.

Sunday morning breakfast at Nina's Coffee Cafe in St. Paul. Optimo Silverbelly once again.

Back to more antiques. The mini donuts were hot and scrumptious, Perry!

I was unable to repeat the success of the previous day, but Lydia and Ryan did well.

Catching Debbie Harry, aka Blondie, in the evening, on the first stop of her U.S. Tour.

Labor Day. Getting ready to supervise Ryan and his high school buddies in some Airsoft action before school starts...tomorrow. My $2.00 Adam Mr. Airwate.

Fedora with polycarbonate goggles.

A bit of sadness as the setting Sun brings Summer to a close, but I look forward to the coming felt seasons with great anticipation.

Last edited:

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Does the Mr. Airwate have a dimensional brim or is that just a trick of perspective because the sides are viewed edge-on? It looks to be much wider in front than on the side, combined with the slightly narrow ribbon it's a very nicely proportioned look.

faadamairelkoleonore.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Rusty: Thanks! Even us melon heads get lucky once in a blue moon.

Brent: Despite its appearance in the photo, the brim is 2-7/16" all the way around. Crown is 4-3/4" and the ribbon is 3/4". Thank you, and I agree the proportions look good on this lid, as with nearly all Adam hats.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Now, about that Borsalino Featherweight - is that available new or only vintage and is it noticeably lighter weight (and more suitable in warm weather) than "standard" felt hats?Bob

Only vintage. Felt is incredibly light. It took me a while to find one...

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
About that crease on Cattleman...

Is that something mostly done is more Western-style hats? I was trying to get almost that exact bash in my Alessandria over the weekend and just couldn't make it work. Having both the pinch and the dent up front matches the contours of my head and a crease like that would let me keep the crown as low as possible with riding on my noggin. Normal center dents bottom out on the back of my globular head something fierce.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab

Is that something mostly done is more Western-style hats? I was trying to get almost that exact bash in my Alessandria over the weekend and just couldn't make it work. Having both the pinch and the dent up front matches the contours of my head and a crease like that would let me keep the crown as low as possible with riding on my noggin. Normal center dents bottom out on the back of my globular head something fierce.

Yeah, that is mostly a western crease. It is generally called a Gus crease, although it had some other name before Lonesome Dove.

Really enjoyed seeing everyone's photos from the long weekend. I don't know which to comment on first! Rusty's Borso, Aureliano's featherweight, David's pickle banded panama, everything AL puts on his head... these are just the highlights I remember without looking back.

I'm a little glazed from 1250 miles of driving and assembling and repairing furniture in my daughter's new apartment (and an epic visit to IKEA on Labor Day weekend.) I did have a chance to sneak away for a great visit to Optimo and an even greater opportunity to connect with Lounge friends in Chicagoland. A highlight was time spent with Josh - including a mobile phone ebay surfing and bidding session from inside a parked car on Western Ave in the midst of a torrential hailstorm. Vintage hat shopping doesn't get much better than that. We decided that a Lounge get together in Chicago is definitely worth getting on the agenda for the coming year.

more later,
Alan

Is that something mostly done is more Western-style hats? ....

Yes, it is a Montana crease or Montana Slope as opposed to a Montana Peak which is more like a campaign hat crease.
As Yeps stated, this became known as a Gus crease after Lonesome Dove came out based on the hat that Robert Duvall's character, Gus McRae, wore.
This is the lowest crown hat that I've tried it on. My Alessandria is about 5.5" open crown & comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe