Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
new_apt4.jpg

That's a wonderful picture of your family, Alan. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

That's a great picture!! I'm really glad we were able to take that one before it started hailing and pouring. I had such a blast on Saturday!! I really was shocked about how nice Graham's operation was and how amazing that $10,000 panama was. He really does have a lot of ideas and I really do appreciate the fact that every year he seems to up his quality on felts and straws. I did mention to Tiffani that most of the felts that I saw had a good amount of taper to the crown and that I really only saw one 52 blocked crown. She told me that they can obviously block any crown shape that I want into a hat, but I was a bit surprised that most "off the shelf" hats at Optimo didn't have that very vintage straight sided-square topped crown.

I must say though, my favorite part about the entire day was just being able to talk to Alan, face to face. We talked for hours about everything and the time just seemed to float away. It seemed like we only talked for 30 minutes, but it was more like hours. It truly was wonderful. I've said it before and I will say it again, some of the best people I have ever met in my life have been from the lounge. I think it takes a special kind of person to wear proper hats in this day and age and really what we have on the lounge is a group of intelligent, wonderful people who really make the world a better place to live in.

Thanks so much Alan for meeting up with me on what I know was a very hectic weekend. I had so much fun chatting and going to Optimo!!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Whippet walking the dogs!

I wore my stingy brimmed Australian Whippet this morning. The dogs and I enjoyed the morning cool temps, dew and the waking of the local wildlife. Geese are gathering on the lake this morning.

Whippet walking the dogs.

Photo-on-2011-09-07-at-0928-M.jpg

I am not sure about the stingy brim for me. At least I am not feeling totally comfortable with the looks of the diminished hat yet. This does not take anything away from the mint conditioned Stetson Whippet.

Best, Eric-

Last edited:
I am not sure about the stingy brim for me. At least I am not feeling totally comfortable with the looks of the diminished hat yet. This does not take anything away from the mint conditioned Stetson Whippet.

Best, Eric-

Hi Eric... what is the brim width on that hat? Stingy is a relative term, but this one doesn't look particularly narrow to my eye, though the hat does have appear to have a fair amount of taper to it - at least from this photographic angle.

RBH

Bartender
Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
A Chicagoland get together sounds wonderful! The hard part will of course be convincing the wifey. I wish I could have attended the midwest one a few months ago. Did anyone? I don't think I've heard anything since it was in the planning stages.

Great to see you two had such a good time. Maybe my Optimo pilgrammage will have to happen when I retire. ;)

My dilemma for today: what to wear on my head?
On a whim I got tickets to take my wife to see a concert she really wanted to see in St. Paul. Got in-laws to pick up and watch the kids, and we're heading up there in an hour or two. It's not the kind of event I normally attend. I'm even embarrassed to mention it here on the lounge. kind of.
So does one even wear a hat to a "My Chemical Romance/ Blink 182" concert? Should it be a wool I wouldn't be heartbroken to lose, or a derby with a steampunk approach, or what?

I thought we were all going to Memphis next year?

Maybe FedoraFest VII in Chicago?

Not to compete with the south and Fedorafest, but maybe there is room for a northern event in addition? Driving from Buffalo to Chicago, it occurred to me that a large number of active loungers live less than a day's drive from Chicago. And Optimo is definitely a destination if you haven't been there yet.

Just thinking out loud.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Not to compete with the south and Fedorafest, but maybe there is room for a northern event in addition? Driving from Buffalo to Chicago, it occurred to me that a large number of active loungers live less than a day's drive from Chicago. And Optimo is definitely a destination if you haven't been there yet.

Just thinking out loud.

I think a Chicago lounge meet up would be a great idea some time this year or next. It doesn't have to be a "fedorafest," but a get together to take some vintage tours of the city, experience some jazz clubs, and just to hang out in a group of people who love fedoras.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
This talk of Chicago also reminds me.

Josh, are you wearing your red cape today? I heard filming started this morning.

LOL. Well, I forgot my red cape at home.....

I haven't even seen film crews yet, but I'm sure I will see some. When they filmed Transformers, you could hear the explosions for miles.

As a side note, I took a break just about 30 minutes ago and went to drop some new pants off at the tailor across the street to get cuffed. As I left the shop, I saw one man standing across the street wearing a proper black fedora, as I crossed the street the woman in front of me was wearing a proper ladies hat, then another man walked right passed me wearing a proper straw fedora. I was wearing one as well, so for just a tiny millisecond, I felt as if I were back in the 40's. Each one of these people were dressed either in a suit or slacks and shirt because I work in one of many business districts. I have to say it was really nice to have that "hat" feeling. I love when it gets colder in Chicago, because a good amount of men and women wear hats.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Hi Eric... what is the brim width on that hat? Stingy is a relative term, but this one doesn't look particularly narrow to my eye, though the hat does have appear to have a fair amount of taper to it - at least from this photographic angle.

Alan; I have not measured the hat yet. I see that it is similar dimensions of the Akubra Whippet pictured here;
Fashion-Whippet-CarbonGrey-preview.jpg

The Akubra hat has a 48mm bound edge, the 38mm ribbon band and bow, satin lining are similar as the Akubra hat. My hat, the liner and markings inside are all Stetson, but looks same size.

I will measure this evening.

Eric -

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe