Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Andy - nice colour

TJ - I know you're not a big fan of black hats, but that Squatter looks good on you.

Sam - that hat's got a lot of character

GTDean - Nice hat - which of the photos more truly represents the felt colour?

GDurand - Very sharp looking in that Lee.

Robert - I love that felt colour.

Alan - Lovely boater and you wear it so naturally.

GamaH - Brim width is a funny thing. I had my hair and beard cut too short on Sunday, and the stingies don't look right at the moment, whereas my broader brims look fine. I'd assumed it would work the other way round...

Joao - that Resistol looks great

TJ - maybe a deep wine red or a steel grey might give you the look you want. I'd go for the latter, but can see the former working well.

Bowlerman - I like that combination of felt and ribbon.

Eric - great hat and shirt. A lake to swim in sounds great. I've been making use of the town pool a bit this summer - not quite as nice, but we do have an open air one at least.

David - nice Pugaree.

Tom - thanks, it's a nice shade. I'm not a big fan of leather bands but the stitching on that one looks great.

Garrett - that sure is a beauty.

G.Durand - The Mallory looks great. Nice to see the back of the hat too.

I can 100% agree what Richard says! So many different styles of hats and every hat is on a high level, what is not to overbid!

The joy of an English summer - taking shelter from a heavy shower. Christy's linen:

Richard, Thanks that you write my thoughts, ;) Your Christy linen Cap is beautiful and you wear it excellent my friend!

g.durand

One Too Many
Richard, I will echo Manfred's sentiments regarding your Christy's cap--great color, too. I would also say that by this time in our normally dry summers here I could do with some rain. But it won't happen until late October or early November. And then it generally doesn't stop for five months. Thanks for your compliments on both of the thin-ribboned hats I wore today.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Thank you, to be honest I was not sure the line bash line would come out after being in that shape for years, but took it down to my local Akubra stockist, and he put it back on the block and worked a little magic and it came good.

Even he admitted with the old bash especially the pork pie, that he was not sure the bash line would come out, but it did.

Good old Akubra

DJH

I'll Lock Up
The Stylemaster looks great R&B

Stetson Panama Stratoliner style for me this morning.

smugshot_9729883-L.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Now here's one I haven't worn forever. For me this dreary and rainy morning in Central Ohio I'm taking my Campaign hat out of the closet and giving it some head time...

7728.jpg

So many nice lids since yesterday!

bowlerman, I'm really liking the Western! Awesome hat!

Garrett, Your Crofut & Knapp is one awesome lid!

g.durand, I love the color on your Mallory!

ManofKent, You're definitely a cap guy my friend. The Christys looks awesome on you! I gotta check into those Christys caps! btw, I was thinking along the lines of a gray ribbon for my Squatter too. Thanks my friend.

R and B, Love the Stylemaster. That's another of the hats that I put on my "Next to buy list".

DJH, Aww Man! Now that's a Panama! I love that straw Stratoliner! Where did you find it?

hatsRme, Another Fawcett special! Nice! I gotta look into those hats.

Joao Encarnado, I love the Westerns. That Stetson is one nice lid!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Super nice, Alan. I'm not familiar with Leghorn straw.

The Rag and Bone Man, nice Akubra, but I gotta say I love your avatar pic!

G. Durand, the Mallory TAR was great, and that Lee Harmony(.com?) ;) totally rocks!

Cool campaign hat, Jones.

gtdean, another great looking working hat.

...and the Stetson looks great too, Joao!

David, beauty of a Panastrat.

HatsRMe, now that is a stunning VS. The light sage in a contextual photo looks very different and more wearable than I had imagined from the swatch, which has intrigued me for some time. Is the photo pretty color accurate?

Richard, great cap! I still seem to be avoiding those on my own head, for some reason.

Super nice, Alan. I'm not familiar with Leghorn straw.

Thanks Jeff. A snip from the knower of all things, Wikipedia, on various types of plaited straw:

Tuscany

Worldwide, the most valuable straw for plaits is grown in Tuscany, and from it the well-known Tuscan plaits and Leghorn hats are made. The straw of Tuscany, specially grown for plaiting, is distinguished into three grades of quality. The highest quality is Pontederas Semone, the second highest is Mazzuolo. The bulk of the plaits are made from this grade of straw. The third grade, Santa Fioro, is only used to plaite "Tuscan pedals" and braids. The wheat-seed for these straws is sown very thickly on comparatively elevated and arid land, and it sends up long attenuated stalks. When the grain in the ear is about half developed the straw is pulled up by the roots, dried in the sun, and subsequently spread out for several successive days to be bleached under the influence of alternate sunlight and night-dews. The pipe of the upper joint alone is selected for plaiting, the remainder of the straw being used for other purposes. These pipes are made up in small bundles, bleached in sulfur fumes in a closed chest; assorted into sizes, and so prepared for the plaiters. Straw-plaiting is a domestic industry among the women and young children of Tuscany and some parts of Emilia. Tuscan plaits and hats vary enormously in quality and value; the plait of a hat of good quality may represent the work of four or five days, while hats of the highest quality may each occupy six to nine months in making. The finest work is excessively trying to the eyes of the plaiters, who can at most give to it two or three hours' labor daily.

A close-up of the weave of a Supernatural Leghorn (marked):

leghorn3.jpg

This Stetson:

legstets3.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Very cool-- the process is fascinating, especially the "sunlight and night-dew" alternation.

Here's a hat I had made up my mind to sell (it's a size too big), but am giving it another spin this morning because I like it so much. It's a Borsalino "Renna" with unbelievably soft forest green heather felt, a straight crown, and a wide unreeded sweatband. It holds a dry crease and a brim shape pretty amazingly and I'll even wear this one brim up once in awhile.

The enigma about this hat is that the felted-edge brim is really only 1 7/8-2 inches, but strangely does not wear like a stingy in my opinion. How is this possible? Any thoughts on that?

sm68.jpg

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
City Impressionen!

Today I visited Brescia. Brescia is a town with 194,308 inhabitants, capital of the province of Brescia and second largest city of Lombardy. I searched for a hat shop during my stay for an pair of hour but I found nothing. I have heard that there is a Borsalino shop in this City but I was not able to find him. So here some pics of the City.

Yesterday we had a Music Festival in Riva. That Armenian State Orchestra was a special guest of Riva! They played classic Music and your beautiful soprano voice filled, Riva!
Later, a superb artist played on his violin!
My Travel is near the End. On Friday night I travel back to Germany, I taly I will miss you!

vx5o.jpg

ij8q.jpg

hptk.jpg

6y6k.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82