Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

rbbrock

Familiar Face
Montesino: quality cigar, but too mild for my taste.

GOF: nice score!

Last night's smoke was an AF Hemingway Classic maduro. Delicious. The Hemi maduros are so much better than the naturals it's ridiculous!

RedPop4

One Too Many
I haven't had a Montesino in at least ten years. It's Fuente's answer to a Macanudo, for newbies, or those who don't like heavy, strong cigars. It's made by Tabacalera A. Fuente, so it should be nothing if not consistent and well made.

Had a Don Benigno at the ball park last evening. Very nice toro from Costa Rica.

spiridon

A-List Customer
Last week while in Boston after the Marathon, shared a couple of Bolivar Petit Coronas and Ramon Allones Special Selections with my Son. Smoked these cigars while visiting a nice cigar bar on Hanover. While there, paid WAY too much for a couple of Padron Anni. Maduros.:rolleyes: . Since then I have enjoyed a couple of San Cristabols by Peppin. This past weekend I enjoyed herfing with RedPop and a bunch of other friends in the NOLA area.....enjoyed more of the above in addition to a Joya de Nicaragua Antano(sp?)......not a bad one in the bunch!!!!

maintcoder

A-List Customer
vonwotan said:
Today's smoke was 1990 Vintage Rocky Patel.

What did you think of it? I generally smoke one of these (or the 1992 version) while taking a long walk along the river and golf course in town. The first 1/2 inch can be a bit bitter (in my experience), but then it smooths out nicely. From that point on, I enjoy them immensely and get sort of bummed out when it is gone.

This week has been a big Romeo y Julieta week - a couple of Cedro Deluxe #2s and my new favorite the Habana Reserve while I walk along the waterfront at lunch. After work, I have had a Rocky Patel Signature, a Rocky Patel R4, and 5 Vegas Classic and Gold torpedos. Today's lunchtime smoke will be a La Aurora robusto that has about a year of humidor aging on it...

Irish4

Familiar Face
the brick

I just bought a few cigars I have not seen before to take on the road. These are very inexpensive and good for doing yardwork and road trips. They are made by the Torano family. They are called the Brick, 5.5 x 60 ring. great stick for everyday use.

RedPop4

One Too Many
That's a Toraño bundle brand that first came out in 2002. They've done well with this brand as so many bundle brands come and go. The Toraño family makes good cigars.

RedPop4

One Too Many
spiridon said:
Last week while in Boston after the Marathon, shared a couple of Bolivar Petit Coronas and Ramon Allones Special Selections with my Son. Smoked these cigars while visiting a nice cigar bar on Hanover. While there, paid WAY too much for a couple of Padron Anni. Maduros.:rolleyes: . Since then I have enjoyed a couple of San Cristabols by Peppin. This past weekend I enjoyed herfing with RedPop and a bunch of other friends in the NOLA area.....enjoyed more of the above in addition to a Joya de Nicaragua Antano(sp?)......not a bad one in the bunch!!!!
Good Food, Good Cigars, Good Friends.

spiridon said:

Sounds great---except the paying too much. :eusa_doh:
I had another El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme last night. :D

vonwotan

Practically Family
I have always enoyed the vintage Rocky Patels. A friend introduced us a couple years ago while we were out shooting and we've all continued smoking them. I can't say I have noticed the bitter start but I have a long habit of warming the end of my cigar before I light up - perhaps this makes a difference. I don't even remember why/how I started this habit.

maintcoder said:
What did you think of it? I generally smoke one of these (or the 1992 version) while taking a long walk along the river and golf course in town. The first 1/2 inch can be a bit bitter (in my experience), but then it smooths out nicely. From that point on, I enjoy them immensely and get sort of bummed out when it is gone.

This week has been a big Romeo y Julieta week - a couple of Cedro Deluxe #2s and my new favorite the Habana Reserve while I walk along the waterfront at lunch. After work, I have had a Rocky Patel Signature, a Rocky Patel R4, and 5 Vegas Classic and Gold torpedos. Today's lunchtime smoke will be a La Aurora robusto that has about a year of humidor aging on it...

vonwotan said:
I have always enoyed the vintage Rocky Patels. A friend introduced us a couple years ago while we were out shooting and we've all continued smoking them. I can't say I have noticed the bitter start but I have a long habit of warming the end of my cigar before I light up - perhaps this makes a difference. I don't even remember why/how I started this habit.

Warming makes a difference to me. It takes a bit of time but it works.
Lets also emphasize warming and not burning. ;) You warm a cigar by tilting it into the flame at a 90 degree angle and rotating it until you get the end (foot) of the cigar evenly charred. After this is done, you put the cigar up to the lips with the flame still at the end and, again, rotate the cigar while drawing on the cigar until the flames jump up from the end of the cigar. Stop drawing ont he cigar and gently rotate the cigar and blow on the end to ensure an even burn. Of course you are going to need two or three matches---unless you have that butane lighter handy. ;)
I try to do this to give the cigar every possible opportunity to show me that it can burn very evenly and not throw a runner up the wrapper. It eliminates so of the charry start off notes and sometimes bitterness. That gives the cigar another chance to impress me with the taste with no excuses. ;)
If you don't do it for any of the reasons above, consciously, then you are just an innately smart cigar aficionado. ;) :p

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Tonight Dee and I started with a CAO Criollo for me ( yes James!:p ) and Dee had the last Opus X that I have had sitting in the humidor for months. Well she did not like the Opus, said it was bitter, and the reason it was still in the humi was because I didn't like them so... It got flushed, yes flushed. She took the Criollo and I ended up with a CAO Brazilia.:D :p :p

maintcoder

A-List Customer
vonwotan said:
I have always enjoyed the vintage Rocky Patels. A friend introduced us a couple years ago while we were out shooting and we've all continued smoking them. I can't say I have noticed the bitter start but I have a long habit of warming the end of my cigar before I light up - perhaps this makes a difference. I don't even remember why/how I started this habit.

Yep, I always toast the ends of my cigars too. Like I said, it is always in the first 1/4 to 1/2 inch, then they smooth out nicely.

No cigar today as it was raining and I was inside working on a crown molding project. Hopefully tomorrow the weather will be better and I'll toast one (or maybe two!) while I relax after today's project...

RedPop4

One Too Many
Friday evening brought a Montecristo #3 from a box, given me by one of my guests last weekend.

4%20Karl%20and%20Jon.jpg

Univibe88 and Spiridon

3%20Jon%20and%20Stan.jpg

Spiridon and StanTheTaxman

8%20Stan.jpg

StanTheTaxman

5%20Phil%20and%20Crawfish.jpg

Phil boiling crawfish

See all the photos from last weekend. Enjoy the crawfish.

rbbrock

Familiar Face
Toasting the foot is definitely the best way to start a cigar - helps get an even burn and smooth flavor, as everyone is saying. My most recent cigar was an Upmann Mag 46 - very enjoyable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe