Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
Tonight Dee and I started with a CAO Criollo for me ( yes James!:p ) and Dee had the last Opus X that I have had sitting in the humidor for months. Well she did not like the Opus, said it was bitter, and the reason it was still in the humi was because I didn't like them so... It got flushed, yes flushed. She took the Criollo and I ended up with a CAO Brazilia.:D :p :p
Funny how that works...
You see that weekend special this weekend
on CAO at CI?

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/spotlight

For those reading this message after the week it
was posted, sorry- link will refer to something else.
Don't feel bad- it's already sold out (before I could
get to it).

MD11

Familiar Face
Today's pipe.. (the one in the middle) a Dunhill Christmas 2004 (12 Lords of Leaping); my favorite Irish Flake, and some 1967 Duncan Taylor Single Malt to chase.

306965927.jpg

rbbrock

Familiar Face
Last night I smoked a Por Larranaga Robusto (2007 Asia Pacific Regional Release). It was very strong; I have heard smoke described as "hard" but never really understood what was meant. Until now. This smoke was certainly hard. It is good, but it needs some serious down time to soften the flavors and smooth out a little bit. It was recognizable as a PL, though, and had a similar profile to a PLPC. All in all, a very nice cigar, and I'm quite glad that I have four more to age for a good long while.

rbbrock said:
Last night I smoked a Por Larranaga Robusto (2007 Asia Pacific Regional Release). It was very strong; I have heard smoke described as "hard" but never really understood what was meant. Until now. This smoke was certainly hard. It is good, but it needs some serious down time to soften the flavors and smooth out a little bit. It was recognizable as a PL, though, and had a similar profile to a PLPC. All in all, a very nice cigar, and I'm quite glad that I have four more to age for a good long while.

Good choice. I find they are not quite as strong to me though. You need to try a few more. ;) :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Ok experts, I know Oliva owns Flor De Oliva which is a great $2 cigar to me at least. What do the big names do different on there cheap brands? Is the tobacco different in the Flor De or is it the same cigar almost?[huh]

Saturday was a two Maxx day. :D I managed to get a friend of mine to taste test the Hoyo de Dogrocket Dark Sumatran just to see if it was just my taste buds that were getting the horrible taste.
His reaction wasn't bad at first but he couldn't take it anymore a little less than half way down the stick. His description was along the lines or "having my tongue stuck in coffee grounds." It died in the fireplace.;) :eek: :D

indycop said:
Ok experts, I know Oliva owns Flor De Oliva which is a great $2 cigar to me at least. What do the big names do different on there cheap brands? Is the tobacco different in the Flor De or is it the same cigar almost?[huh]

It is the quality of the tobacco used. Filler, wrapper etc. Not all tobacco is created equal. Ask what they do with table cuttings? That's the chewing stuff. ;) :p
This sometimes does not translate into cheap being lousy though. They are just "good values for the money.";)
Oh, and I am no expert. Redpop is an expert.

rbbrock

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
Good choice. I find they are not quite as strong to me though. You need to try a few more. ;) :D

Hmm, I find PLs (handmade) and Bolis to be the strongest cigars from that region, and about as strong as any cigars out there. I certainly won't argue with you that I need to smoke some more of them, though! ;) I know I've got some Boli PCs buried in my cooler somewhere... lol

jamespowers said:
I managed to get a friend of mine to taste test the Hoyo de Dogrocket Dark Sumatran just to see if it was just my taste buds that were getting the horrible taste.
His reaction wasn't bad at first but he couldn't take it anymore a little less than half way down the stick. His description was along the lines or "having my tongue stuck in coffee grounds." It died in the fireplace.

You know, I really liked the first five or so HdM DS Espressos I smoked, and just about bought a box of them. I'm very glad I didn't, because I started liking them less and less. The flavor was somewhat thin, and what flavor there is was not terribly pleasant, kind of a harsh bitterness.

If I want a cheap but good cigar I'll stick to Padron and Bolivar PCs. The BPCs are my current favorite of any cigar, regardless of price, so the fact that they were only about $4 each just makes it sweeter!

vonwotan

Practically Family
We had a really enjoyable Saturday. After lounging around with our God of Fire Robustos (one of the Don Carlos cigars) another friend surpirsed us with several of the Carlito Double Robustos - both were full flavored smokes but the Carlito, made with a Cameroon wrapper had more spice. We're very fortunate to have Peretti & Co. here in town. They get an excellent selection from the producers, including a good allocation of hard to find or limited production smokes, and they still blend several wonderful pipe tobaccos. Fuente also produced the 125th anniversary cigars for Peretti - a Don Carlos blend with a Connecticut shade wrapper. They are a bit milder than I usually like but a great value...

jamespowers said:
Let me know how those are. :D :cool2:

rbbrock said:
Hmm, I find PLs (handmade) and Bolis to be the strongest cigars from that region, and about as strong as any cigars out there. I certainly won't argue with you that I need to smoke some more of them, though! ;) I know I've got some Boli PCs buried in my cooler somewhere... lol!

I like the Bolis as well for their strength. The PLs always surprise me for their ability to surprise me out of the blue. :D

rbbrock said:
You know, I really liked the first five or so HdM DS Espressos I smoked, and just about bought a box of them. I'm very glad I didn't, because I started liking them less and less. The flavor was somewhat thin, and what flavor there is was not terribly pleasant, kind of a harsh bitterness.

If I want a cheap but good cigar I'll stick to Padron and Bolivar PCs. The BPCs are my current favorite of any cigar, regardless of price, so the fact that they were only about $4 each just makes it sweeter!

The HDD just struck me as bitter from the beginning but my friend really got it. ;) :p Call me a masochist but I managed to smoke two to the end. Did I mention the horrible stench they give off? :eusa_doh:
Good choices for "reasonable cigars." I like the Bolivar Library editions. :D

vonwotan said:
We had a really enjoyable Saturday. After lounging around with our God of Fire Robustos (one of the Don Carlos cigars) another friend surpirsed us with several of the Carlito Double Robustos - both were full flavored smokes but the Carlito, made with a Cameroon wrapper had more spice. We're very fortunate to have Peretti & Co. here in town. They get an excellent selection from the producers, including a good allocation of hard to find or limited production smokes, and they still blend several wonderful pipe tobaccos. Fuente also produced the 125th anniversary cigars for Peretti - a Don Carlos blend with a Connecticut shade wrapper. They are a bit milder than I usually like but a great value...

Nice. Mild really doesn't have to be so bad. You can't always smoke Culebras. ;) :p

vonwotan

Practically Family
Agreed. Mild can be just right for the occasion. I still enjoy a Montecristo #3 now and again. And, when I'm short on time Ashton cordials are a nice quick smoke. I've been sampling a lot more over the past few years and realize I had really missed out after smoking one cigar almost exclusively before we got our club up and running...

The Montecristo #3 was the first cigar I ever tasted - I would drive in to town with my dad to buy his cigars at the local candy shop and he would let me sit on his lap, steer the car and puff on his cigar a few times on the way home.

jamespowers said:
Nice. Mild really doesn't have to be so bad. You can't always smoke Culebras. ;) :p

vonwotan said:
Agreed. Mild can be just right for the occasion. I still enjoy a Montecristo #3 now and again. And, when I'm short on time Ashton cordials are a nice quick smoke. I've been sampling a lot more over the past few years and realize I had really missed out after smoking one cigar almost exclusively before we got our club up and running...

The Montecristo #3 was the first cigar I ever tasted - I would drive in to town with my dad to buy his cigars at the local candy shop and he would let me sit on his lap, steer the car and puff on his cigar a few times on the way home.

Oh geez, nowadays your father would have been arrested for child abuse. ;) :p

rbbrock

Familiar Face
Well, it was Saint Luis Rey Serie A last night, and after smoking three of them now I just can't seem to get myself to like them. The flavor seems vague and a little sour. I guess I'll just smoke the couple sticks I have left from the group buy and not get them again.

rbbrock said:
Well, it was Saint Luis Rey Serie A last night, and after smoking three of them now I just can't seem to get myself to like them. The flavor seems vague and a little sour. I guess I'll just smoke the couple sticks I have left from the group buy and not get them again.

Now you know how I feel about a few other brands that just don't cut it for me. ;) :p
You know what they say about making yourself like something though. It isn't worth it and just possibly you could be right---they stink. ;)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Had a NUB cameroon last night, ok cigar but I don't think it worth the cost. Too small and it was hotter than any other cigar I have had.[huh]
Had a Oliva series G at the start of my shift, much better, same length as the NUB but not hot at all.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld