Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

rbbrock

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
Better than Ashton? Now that is saying something. :D

For me, Ashtons are hit and miss. I've not particularly liked the San Cristobals I smoked. I have a few resting to see if they improve with some time, but considering their cost I doubt I'll find them worth it anyway. VSGs I adore, Ashton Aged Maduros are pretty darn good, and the rest of their lines I'm not especially fond of, unless I am in the rare mood for a very mild smoke.

But if they fit one's taste, it is certainly hard to argue with the high quality of the tobacco and the construction of the cigars. They are pretty much top-notch. (Then again, most of them are made by Fuente, so what else would you expect?)

Last night I smoked a DPG blue Delicias (churchill) from a box I bought a couple months ago. It was pretty tasty; they're coming along nicely and should be pretty much ready to go in another couple of months.

Kilted_Surveyor

Familiar Face
La Aurora Barrel Aged

Hello All!
It's been a while since I've been here. Work is good so I'm extremly busy which is a nice problem to have on our economy right now!

I finally had some time to sit down and enjoy a smoke and a bottle of wine with my lovely bride last weekend. She smoked a Rocky Patel Vintage Connecticut 1999 "60" and I smoked my first La Aurora Barrel Aged Figurado. It is a great cigar! Great flavor and great draw. However, as I was smoking it, it developed a burn hole on it :eusa_doh: (see picture). I have smoked hundreds of cigars and never once has this happened. Has anyone else had this happen?

It's good to be back!:)
BurnHole.jpg

RedPop4

One Too Many
The other Saturday cigar, I'd forgotten was a Bucanero. These were the hot brand three years ago. Their policy of only dealing with brick-and-mortar retailers has hurt them in the online cigar world. They're not available many online places. But it rewards their loyal shops. Have to like that about them.

rbbrock

Familiar Face
Kilted_Surveyor said:
However, as I was smoking it, it developed a burn hole on it :eusa_doh: (see picture). I have smoked hundreds of cigars and never once has this happened. Has anyone else had this happen?

I have had this happen a couple of times. I imagine it's just a loose spot in the bunch that gets hot and the burn tunnels down the interior of the cigar for a bit, then reaches the wrapper again. It's annoying, and in my experience it leads to a very bland flavor when it occurs because a very small proportion of the filler is doing most of the burning, while the rest of the filler and the wrapper are not. It takes some work to correct, but is doable, and after the cigar's burn gets back to normal the flavor seems to return as well.

SGB

One of the Regulars
RedPop4 said:
The other Saturday cigar, I'd forgotten was a Bucanero. These were the hot brand three years ago. Their policy of only dealing with brick-and-mortar retailers has hurt them in the online cigar world. They're not available many online places. But it rewards their loyal shops. Have to like that about them.

Agree about liking them for supporting B&M's. We need to keep our local smokeshops in business by buying from them. Personally, I do not buy online.

SGB

rbbrock said:
For me, Ashtons are hit and miss. I've not particularly liked the San Cristobals I smoked. I have a few resting to see if they improve with some time, but considering their cost I doubt I'll find them worth it anyway. VSGs I adore, Ashton Aged Maduros are pretty darn good, and the rest of their lines I'm not especially fond of, unless I am in the rare mood for a very mild smoke.

But if they fit one's taste, it is certainly hard to argue with the high quality of the tobacco and the construction of the cigars. They are pretty much top-notch. (Then again, most of them are made by Fuente, so what else would you expect?)

Last night I smoked a DPG blue Delicias (churchill) from a box I bought a couple months ago. It was pretty tasty; they're coming along nicely and should be pretty much ready to go in another couple of months.

I agree with you on the VSGs and Fuente in general. Before I even knew what the VSGs were a friend of mine gave me one. From then on, I knew they were quality cigars.
On another note, I checked out the new J and R cigar catalog and the Platinum Montecristos looked very different---bandwise---from those I got directly from the Montecristo online offer. It makes me want to buy a box and see if they taste the same but I have that Nub sampler and some LaGloria Cubana Tainos coming in so that will have to wait. :D ;)

SGB

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
There are certain things you have to get online because they are not available or not allowed locally. ;)

If I have to buy it online then I generally don't buy it. I have had to buy one brand online once, and it was a compromise. One reason is you need to inspect the product before you purchase it, especially cigars which are handmade. What cigars are not allowed locally? Availabilty I can understand.

SGB

SGB

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
You miss out on quite a few things then. ;) :p

No I don't. I probably have more to select from and am more connected than you could imagine.

SGB

vonwotan

Practically Family
I've always liked Ashton 20s, the maduros, I have found them to be quite consistant. However, I didn't smoke much else for several year so I can't compare to other Ashtons. I have several Ashton Cabinets but those too are "not the normal fare."

Today's smoke was 1990 Vintage Rocky Patel. This weeked we're opening a box of God of Fire Robustos that we picked up at Peretti & Co. before our last party and cigar evening.

rbbrock said:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld