Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

rbbrock

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
Ok, I was looking at the new Nub cigars. Anyone out there tried these? What do you think? Should I buy the box or a sampler? :D

Ugh. I, personally, think they're ridiculous. But I am biased; I don't like anything over about a 52 rg, maybe 54. But if you insist ;) buy a sampler, assuming you can get one with several different vitolas and wrappers, so you can try a few different ones without committing to a whole box if you end up hating them.

rbbrock said:
Ugh. I, personally, think they're ridiculous. But I am biased; I don't like anything over about a 52 rg, maybe 54. But if you insist ;) buy a sampler, assuming you can get one with several different vitolas and wrappers, so you can try a few different ones without committing to a whole box if you end up hating them.

Sounds like a good idea with my current record of pickiness. :p ;)
I like larger ring guages as well as the smaller ones so it might be a good fit for me. I'll try CI. Thanks. :D
Geez, the 12 pack sampler is like $49 bucks! Ok, I'll try it.

Irish4

Familiar Face
cigar of the day

a great drew estate isla del sol. what a great smoke to go with my sam adams. the only thing better is a sunday drive in a classic 359 peterbilt.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vigilante RP Corojo, Toro Grande, 6.5", ring 54.
I don't have a lot of experience with Rocky Patel
cigars, but this one was very nice. Nice, even draw,
full flavor, lasted me over an hour. I believe I'll put
a few of these in the box...

Anyone have other experience with Rocky Patel products?

rbbrock

Familiar Face
feltfan said:
Vigilante RP Corojo, Toro Grande, 6.5", ring 54.
I don't have a lot of experience with Rocky Patel
cigars, but this one was very nice. Nice, even draw,
full flavor, lasted me over an hour. I believe I'll put
a few of these in the box...

Anyone have other experience with Rocky Patel products?

I'm not generally a big RP fan, but the RP Sungrown petite corona is a great little cigar!

Ok, yesterday I had a chance to try the Montecristo Platinum Series figurado size cigar. Yes, the sampler finally arrived Friday at my house. I am still waiting for the other two to arrive at my mother's place and my friend's house. So far, the figurado size alone was worth the $9. It was clothed in a smooth yet veiny wrapper. The cap was well constructed and when cut off, revealed a full packed cigar. Even as such, the draw was perfect and rivaled that of many Cubans I have tried. In fact, in many ways, this Montecristo rivaled the No.2 and Petit Edmundo. It hung a 1-2" ash several times that allowed for a cooler smoking experience. I defied the "vintage 1999" and then the cigar band--smoking it down as far as I could resonably go. Considering it burned surprising cool; that was pretty far. ;) :p
It was a joy to smoke with heavy cedar, spice and earthy flavors. This is not one for the faint of heart. It sneaks up on you but it finishes with power. The mouth feel was meaty and had just the right amount of give. Like I said, a joy to smoke. The $9 offer is still valid until October 31. I might have to try to get in another order or two. ;)

rikrdo

A-List Customer
on the way to work..........

MacBaren London Burley Blend with a pinch of GL Pease Cumberland in my
Mastro de Paja rusticated Rhodesian

rbbrock

Familiar Face
Last night I executed a little comparison test between a couple Holt's exclusive Pepin cigars: Old Henry and Holt's Connoisseur toros. They were both great cigars - strong and full-flavored, fairly spicy, powerful wood and earth flavors. The Old Henry was a little bit smoother, but each of them was completely worthy in its own right. A box of one or the other is coming soon, methinks.

RedPop4

One Too Many
This past week has been so busy, I'll try to run down the different cigars I smoked. We had our annual New Orleans/Harang Ave. Spring Herf at my home. I had a couple attendees from this board, also of Cigar Weekly, who included Spiridon, univibe88, and StantheTaxMan.

Wednesday night, when Stan got in, we had CI Legends Series, Yellow, by Pepin Garcia.

Thursday, I remember not.

Friday, a La Luna African Fuerte Perfecto #4 or #5 from Spiridon. These were the hot item in the "domestic" cigar world, when I got active on the boards in 2001. This one was light years better than the last one I had about 8 months or so ago.

Then some big unbanded thing with a dark wrapper, a jaw-breaker at like 6x60. I had a touch of trouble down the length with the wrapper. But it was tasty.

Saturday....I had three, can't remember one of them. But one was an SLR Regio, and t' other a Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill.

RedPop4 said:
This past week has been so busy, I'll try to run down the different cigars I smoked. We had our annual New Orleans/Harang Ave. Spring Herf at my home. I had a couple attendees from this board, also of Cigar Weekly, who included Spiridon, univibe88, and StantheTaxMan.

Wednesday night, when Stan got in, we had CI Legends Series, Yellow, by Pepin Garcia.

Thursday, I remember not.

Friday, a La Luna African Fuerte Perfecto #4 or #5 from Spiridon. These were the hot item in the "domestic" cigar world, when I got active on the boards in 2001. This one was light years better than the last one I had about 8 months or so ago.

Then some big unbanded thing with a dark wrapper, a jaw-breaker at like 6x60. I had a touch of trouble down the length with the wrapper. But it was tasty.

Saturday....I had three, can't remember one of them. But one was an SLR Regio, and t' other a Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill.

Sounds like a good week. :D
I tried another of the Montecristo Platinums---the Toro this time. Not bad for a short cigar. A 45 minute smoke for sure. The draw was a good as the previous Montecristo and it was well packed with filler.
It really delivered a leather and wood flavor straight off the line. It mellowed out a little midway and ended with a sweet finish. Not a bad cigar that held onto the ash up to the first band. It did burn significantly uneven near the end though. Rate this baby as pretty strong. :eek: ;) :p

rbbrock said:
Last night I executed a little comparison test between a couple Holt's exclusive Pepin cigars: Old Henry and Holt's Connoisseur toros. They were both great cigars - strong and full-flavored, fairly spicy, powerful wood and earth flavors. The Old Henry was a little bit smoother, but each of them was completely worthy in its own right. A box of one or the other is coming soon, methinks.

Sounds interesting. The price for a sampler of them doesn't seem too bad either at Holts. :D

rbbrock

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
Sounds interesting. The price for a sampler of them doesn't seem too bad either at Holts. :D

Absolutely worth giving them a try. I bought a sampler of each some time ago, and am down to about 3 cigars of the 10. I just have to make a little room in the cooler, and then a box is on the way.

If you like Pepin's other cigars, you will probably like these as well. As compared to other Pepins that I've tried, they aren't as good as Tats (either brown or red), but I like them about as well as Habana Leon, better than the DPG blues and blacks, and much more than Ashton San Cristobals.

rbbrock said:
Absolutely worth giving them a try. I bought a sampler of each some time ago, and am down to about 3 cigars of the 10. I just have to make a little room in the cooler, and then a box is on the way.

If you like Pepin's other cigars, you will probably like these as well. As compared to other Pepins that I've tried, they aren't as good as Tats (either brown or red), but I like them about as well as Habana Leon, better than the DPG blues and blacks, and much more than Ashton San Cristobals.

Better than Ashton? Now that is saying something. :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
bruce wayne said:
i had an Acid brand c not today. anyone ever have an acid brand cigar? what do you think of them? i enjoy them more than i enjoy other cigars...
I have tried most of the Acid line and the Drew Estates natural line. Some I enjoy ( kuba kuba, juicy lucy) and some I didn't.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld