Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
AMAZING! Not a CAO?! ;) :p
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eusa_doh: I covet my Sosa's cos I don't have many so I had to break one out!:D I do like Romeo Y Julietas too!

The Wavell rated 94 I think from CA.:)

But I love my CAOs!:D Brazilia and America, Brazilia has taken the favorite spot for Deelovely over flavoreds.:)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Yeah right. The next ones are my list are from the tester at ryjradio.com. ;) :D Not bad for:
1 No. 2
1 Toro
1 Churchill
1 Robusto
of the Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real Line. I also ordered in a Bauza from Fuente for their $2.50 offer.
These are prices I can manage as testers. ;) :D
Thanks for the tip! My order is in.

RedPop4

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Well, the Punch must have been made from table scraps of the other brands then. :eusa_doh: When I cut the cap off, There were stems coming up through the tobacco filler. Junk as far as I am concerned. [huh]
The El Rey was much, much, much better. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
What is your experience oh great cigar guru? :D ;)
That's not something I've experienced. I haven't smoked many Punch/Hoto de Monterrey/El Rey del Mundo/Belinda/Consuegras lately. One of the most persistent "open secrets" or "persistent rumours" in the cigar world is that the unbanded Hoyo de Monterrey and Punch Rothschilds, in the box of 50 are actually the same cigar.

SGB

One of the Regulars
Punch and Hoyo

I had a Punch 2 weeks ago and 2 Hoyos last week, both good smokes. No problems with draw or ash, and tasty as usual.

SGB

rbbrock

Familiar Face
I'd had the flu, so I didn't smoke anything for a while, but I just torched a Tat Especiales last night. It was quite tasty, but I'm becoming quite certain that I prefer Tat reds to Tat browns (which is great, they're cheaper!).

RedPop4 said:
That's not something I've experienced. I haven't smoked many Punch/Hoto de Monterrey/El Rey del Mundo/Belinda/Consuegras lately. One of the most persistent "open secrets" or "persistent rumours" in the cigar world is that the unbanded Hoyo de Monterrey and Punch Rothschilds, in the box of 50 are actually the same cigar.

That makes sense. I don't like either one. ;) :p
I see your friends at Altadis are now owned by the British. ;) :D
It could be that I got a bad Punch but.....

Last night was the Partagas 8.9.8. Beautiful draw, nice silky wrapper and performed beautifully even though my humidor got to 80. :eusa_doh: My brother-in-law filled the drymistat tube AND the crappy thing that came with the humidor at the top. Didn't really hurt anything but I certainly aired it out a bit to decrease it back down to 70. :D

SGB

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Which ones---size and "model"? Not every cigar of a brand is likely to be the same. I just hit on all of the lousy ones at aonce I suppose. :p ;)

Maduros, and I don't recall the size and model. I've smoked enough cigars that I just buy them and enjoy them and don't keep track of the specifics. They were not Rothschilds or Coronas, probably Churchills.

SGB

SGB said:
Maduros, and I don't recall the size and model. I've smoked enough cigars that I just buy them and enjoy them and don't keep track of the specifics. They were not Rothschilds or Coronas, probably Churchills.

SGB

I haven't tried the Churchills but I can warn you off their robustos---particularly the Punch Robusto. I'll try another to see if it is a fluke but I truly doubt it. I can't believe they would leave the stems in the cigar. I might be able to get a picture for proof. :eusa_doh:
That El Rey del Mundo was great though. I can still remember the taste. :D

SGB

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
I haven't tried the Churchills but I can warn you off their robustos---particularly the Punch Robusto. I'll try another to see if it is a fluke but I truly doubt it. I can't believe they would leave the stems in the cigar. I might be able to get a picture for proof. :eusa_doh:
That El Rey del Mundo was great though. I can still remember the taste. :D

I've smoked lots of the Robustos over the years, a few boxes worth, no problems I can recall. But, since cigars are an organic hand made product an occasional problem can occur. I will continue to smoke them as they have been a good smoke and seem to be still.
I once had a real bad smoking experience back when I first started in the early 70's. A friend gave me a Thompson cigar that he liked a lot. I could not get it to draw at all, so I cut it open and found a white chicken feather inside! My friend threw the rest of the box away and switched to premium cigars.

SGB

SGB said:
I've smoked lots of the Robustos over the years, a few boxes worth, no problems I can recall. But, since cigars are an organic hand made product an occasional problem can occur. I will continue to smoke them as they have been a good smoke and seem to be still.
I once had a real bad smoking experience back when I first started in the early 70's. A friend gave me a Thompson cigar that he liked a lot. I could not get it to draw at all, so I cut it open and found a white chicken feather inside! My friend threw the rest of the box away and switched to premium cigars.

SGB

I don't think I would rate a Punch as premium but.....:p
So I went back to the box and pulled another Punch Gran Puro just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. In short it wasn't. :eusa_doh: This was worse than the first one. :eek: I have a host of pictures to post later to go with this but here is the text portion. :D
I looked over the cigar and it was lumpy just as the other one was. The cap was jagged and very poorly applied. I cut it off and got the same stems at the end. :eusa_doh: Ok, undaunted, I decided to try smoking it open mindedly. It came across quickly with wood and grassy notes. [huh] Not bad but not too complex either. This disintegrated into the charry paper taste. I nubbed it waiting for a finish but really got nothing. [huh]
One thing I really noticed was the lousy mouth feel it had. It was like having a sponge in your mouth. Too much give. There were soft spots and it burned unevenly. The ash even split in half along a vein in the tobacco as I smoked it. [huh] :eusa_doh: You really need to see the pictures. :D

I finally got the pictures loaded.
First the cap mess:
Punch-capmess.jpg

The odd bumpy wrapper---probably due to insufficient filler or uneven filler:
Punch-bumpy.jpg

The flaky ash split in half:
Punchashclear.jpg

I couldn't get the spaces in the filler to show up on the photo but it definitely could have been filled more evenly from end to end.
Then there was the stems in the filler when I cut the messed up cap off:
Punch-stems2.jpg

Probably easier to see in this one:
Punch-stems.jpg

It kind of reminds me of something Backwoods would put out. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh: My brother -in-law tells me that these things meet the pre-1970s standards for cigars when cigar smokers wanted rough and strong cigars. I kind of doubt that but we have come to expect a higher standard now with cigars being put out that have finely crafted caps, even fillers, even burns, shiny/silky wrappers, good draws and great complex flavors. :eusa_clap Geez, if Partagas can make a Culebra burn even then there is definitely progress happening. ;) :D

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Perdomo ESV '91 tonight. Great draw, mild flavor.
I guess it was too subtle for me.

Much preferred last night's El Mejor Emerald.
That's a nice smoke.

A good smoke can definitely take the edge off
at the end of a stressful day.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i watched Fistful Of Dollars and so you can probably guess what i went out and bought...lol yah, BackWoods...

i like 'em..their ugly, all bent up and stuff, which makes 'em cool, only 75 cents apiece, and after it burns down you look like Clint Eastwood lol...good fishing cigar...
anyone know of any other skinny cigars that resemble BackWoods or Eastwoods? besides Swisher Outlaws and rolling your own...? i know you all like the Robustos and Monte Cristos and stuff(i like em too) but still...any other old west type cigars out there?

The-Man-with-No-Name.jpg

SamMarlowPI said:
i watched Fistful Of Dollars and so you can probably guess what i went out and bought...lol yah, BackWoods...

i like 'em..their ugly, all bent up and stuff, which makes 'em cool, only 75 cents apiece, and after it burns down you look like Clint Eastwood lol...good fishing cigar...
anyone know of any other skinny cigars that resemble BackWoods or Eastwoods? besides Swisher Outlaws and rolling your own...? i know you all like the Robustos and Monte Cristos and stuff(i like em too) but still...any other old west type cigars out there?

The-Man-with-No-Name.jpg

There are some others out there. I forget the names but they will come to me eventually. I don't mind the Backwoods either but at least they market themselves as what they truly are---The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. ;) :p

indycop

I'll Lock Up
SamMarlowPI said:

The-Man-with-No-Name.jpg
I think at least in some of his movies the cigars were fat.:) How cool is it to light dynamite with yer cigar like clint!:rolleyes: lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld