Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

Justin B

One Too Many
I need to take pictures of all mine I guess. Here's my 707. Also got a Resistol OR style and a western.

5661614792_4a92c1933b.jpg

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Resistol should have carried on with the aircraft name thing. A high crown at front could be the 747. A long short crown hat with little room for your head in it could be the DC-9/MD-80/88. A hat with the felt peeling could be the 737.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Silver Belly Byer-Rolnick XXX Beaver

To add a silver belly Resistol Byer-Rolnick XXX Beaver that was given to me via gift, this appears to be no older than mid-1950s (clear plastic tip) yet it still shows the original shield crest in outline (gold on brown liner) with 'A Byer-Rolnick Product' scripted beneath. There is no markings to indicate a model name, though it is the same as a San Antonio (Resistol's OR clone). I'm not sure how long Resistol continued using the shield crest and the Byer-Rolnick; by the 1970s I think those brandings had been dropped. I can vouch that this hat is a shade stiffer than two San Ants I own with no plastic in the tip. Maybe someone will correct me, speak up if you know different.

Picture81.jpg

Picture80.jpg

Picture82.jpg

Picture83.jpg

One picture from daylight, to set the record straight on color -
Picture78.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
Yes, I think Resistol's silver belly has been a fairly consistent shade of very light grey, can look a bit green-ish in some lighting, but it isn't. The crown in all of mine looked about like yours, 'till I messed 'em up.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Hatophile, that is a VS-finished llano weave, and I think Art had the body in inventory from some previous dealings with Panama Bob. It is my finest hat, at 900 wpsi it is a beaut. I wore it yesterday and today, and both days it drew some really positive comments from folks I met. I'm not sure whether I posted about it in Art's thread or the Canal thread, but I did post about 4 pictures of it once upon a time

051009006.jpg

051009004.jpg

It really does not belong in this thread, but it adds beauty wherever it goes.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Art does nice work, and certainly the weavers created a great canvas to work with. See thread 'Art Fawcett Hall of Fame' page 132 post #1318 dated May 10, 2009.This is supposed to be about Resistols! shhhh

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
Zetwal, that is an interesting liner - the oilskin plastic with Harry Rolnick instead of the shield with the 'Byer-Rolnick Product' - which was used both before and after that time, or maybe simultaneously. Too bad we don't have a thread for dating Resistols by liner!

Last edited:

tonydi

New in Town
Hi Jlee,
Just bought one that looks very close to yours on ebay, same crown etc.. Can you tell me the brim size. They tell me mine is 2 3/8, but until I can measure it myself I cant be sure. I've been looking for a San Antonio for a good while. The one I have coming is 3xxx, but has no model name they could find. Was it fairly easy to bash (Im new to this).
Thanks

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hi Jlee,
Just bought one that looks very close to yours on ebay, same crown etc.. Can you tell me the brim size. They tell me mine is 2 3/8, but until I can measure it myself I cant be sure. I've been looking for a San Antonio for a good while. The one I have coming is 3xxx, but has no model name they could find. Was it fairly easy to bash (Im new to this).
Thanks

I'm away from home, but as best I can recall it comes in at 2.5"

Speaking of which I got bored here in D.C., so I decided to 3d-ify the crease.

Before:
DSC06164.jpg

After:
2011-07-17113147.jpg

2011-07-17113210.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe