Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kitten finsh = awesome, Resistol made hats as fine as any other's offerings. I don't think they were competing on the same scale as many of the other brands in 'vintage' times, becoming more of a nationwide force in the 1970s and 80s as their cowboy hats won over the 'Stetson' nation as that brand struggled through bankruptcy, licensing to different manufacturers, etc. Speculating, of course, maybe someone that was a buyer of cowboy hats through the 1970s up through the new millenium will step in and give a better perspective.

I would like to hear someone give a thumbnail history of cowboy hats and hear commentary about their evolving quality. Last year here we heard from some who talked about how cowboy hats are used, in horse shows and so forth. That was interesting. But there's probably a fair bit of standard information yet to learn about cowboy hats for most of us.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Kitten finsh = awesome, Resistol made hats as fine as any other's offerings. I don't think they were competing on the same scale as many of the other brands in 'vintage' times, becoming more of a nationwide force in the 1970s and 80s as their cowboy hats won over the 'Stetson' nation as that brand struggled through bankruptcy, licensing to different manufacturers, etc. Speculating, of course, maybe someone that was a buyer of cowboy hats through the 1970s up through the new millenium will step in and give a better perspective.

Agreed completely.

I've gotten three ca. 1960's Resistols off of eBay, including a very nice kitten Finish "Gotham I" model with a Cav edge and it's one of my most frequently worn lids.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I didn't plan on buying it, but how often do you see a 7 7/8? This thing could keep my ears warm in the winter.

The felt is very lush and pliable and it's got a great Cav edge.
DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

I flipped these images in photobucket, and they're properly rotated there, so I don't know why they display like this.
DSC_0142-1.jpg

DSC_0143-1.jpg

DSC_0145-2.jpg

DSC_0147-1.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

Last edited:

Levallois

Practically Family
Older Resistol Fedora?

Won this on ebay. Probably paid too much but haven't seen a Resistol fedora that I thought was this old. Can't tell if there is a reed on sweatband or not? But there are patent numbers and the weirdly shaped O in Resistol both on liner and on band. I'm guessing early 40s. I guess it could be late 40s too and that's ok. How does that sound to the experts? Sorry I havent received it yet but can't wait to share so will just post auction photos for now. Thanks for looking.

John

Res1.jpg

Res3.jpg

Res4.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Very nice Resistol. They still used the same liner and sweatband into the early 50's. Hard to date a hat from the 42-53+ approx range as little change to pin it down.

Levallois

Practically Family
randooch and rlk - I appreciate the replies.

randooch -the whole hat has a nice patina.

rlk- I'm wondering what was different before 1942 and after 1953 with Resistols? I have gone through a third of the Resistol Roundup but didn't see anything about dating? Is there another thread that explains this? Thanks!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
rlk- I'm wondering what was different before 1942 and after 1953 with Resistols? I have gone through a third of the Resistol Roundup but didn't see anything about dating? Is there another thread that explains this? Thanks!

Dates are approximate. Somewhere in the mid-50's they changed the crown logo and sweat script to variants such as the following hat.

P1020864.JPG
P1020866.JPG

and this:
P1020868.JPG
P1020867.JPG

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
resistol2.jpg

031copyc.jpg

My one and only Resistol to date. It is only a stingy 3X homburg, but to my surprise, one of the softest and smoothest felts I've experienced. At first I gave it a good front dip, but decided the short brim looked much better flatter, as I received it. The sweatband, though in near perfect condition and very supple, is coming unstitched, as the thread appears to be breaking like perforated paper. What to do? Will Optimo, Parker Melvin, etc., re-sew an original sweatband or should I expect to replace it?

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
This is my new Ebay Won a Resistol 7 x Beaver.
The History of the Hat.
Lyndon B. Johnson
made this hat for the gift of Felix von Eckardt, a German politician.
In 1952 began his political career when he took over in February, the Head of Press and Information Office of the Federal Government in Bonn.
He was in fact government spokesman. From May 1955 to 1956 he acted as an observer at the United Nations in New York. Von Eckardt, who was considered a confidant of Chancellor Konrad Adenauer
Thats the story from Ebay. Is it true
resistol.jpg

resistol1.jpg

resistol2.jpg

resistol3.jpg

resistol5.jpg

resistol4.jpg

The liner is stitched

Last edited:

Levallois

Practically Family
Finally got the Resistol Fifteen Fedora - very heavy felt - probably the heaviest fedora that I own, sewn in liner, 1 7/8-inch sweat, 1 3/4-inch ribbon, 5 1/4-inch crown and Cavanagh edge.

P1000290.jpg

P1000291.jpg

P1000293.jpg

P1000303.jpg

Levallois

Practically Family
Thanks John - Resitols are such great hats I don't know why they aren't as sought after? Good for those of us that like them but still hard to explain? Is it really the name like was suggested in an earlier post?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe