Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

Vanessa

One Too Many
fb30_1.jpg

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
aww no one saw my patterns? they're right here:
My Vintage Patterns

please check them out and help me date them!! I'll be adding 7 more soon when they come in the mail.

Everyone has beautiful patterns, the big problem is, I'm sure we all wish that everything was already made!! ahh trying to find the time to sew is the big problem on my end, I want a full wardrobe of nothing but vintage clothing but it sure is taking a while!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
jtcarrey said:
aww no one saw my patterns?
please check them out and help me date them!! I'll be adding 7 more soon when they come in the mail.

I don't know precisely when that first one you have is from (some point in the 30s I would guess) but I can tell you where it came from. It has "The May Company" printed on it. That means pretty surely that it was produced for sale in Denver. The May was a premiere department store here. It later combined with The Daniel and Fisher Company creating May D&F. I have a couple hats and hat boxes from them.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
jtcarrey said:
aww no one saw my patterns? they're right here:
My Vintage Patterns

Everyone has beautiful patterns, the big problem is, I'm sure we all wish that everything was already made!! ahh trying to find the time to sew is the big problem on my end, I want a full wardrobe of nothing but vintage clothing but it sure is taking a while!

youve some gorgous patterns jt!!
im jealous !![huh]

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Unexpected early birthday money won me these. I did need groceries, but whatever...

830e_1.jpg
7a2c_1.jpg

5048_1.jpg
70b8_1.jpg

4411_1.jpg

The skirt pattern and the jacket and culotte pattern are the ones I wanted the most. I LOVE that skirt.

LD

Vanessa

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Unexpected early birthday money won me these. I did need groceries, but whatever...

830e_1.jpg
7a2c_1.jpg

5048_1.jpg
70b8_1.jpg

4411_1.jpg

The skirt pattern and the jacket and culotte pattern are the ones I wanted the most. I LOVE that skirt.

LD

I was watching those too - but they ended up too rich for my blood. Glad they went to a fellow Lounger.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
CIMG3323.jpg

I'm no pattern expert, but I would say this is 1940s. I'd say very early 40s judging by the hairdos on the drawings. Also the puffy sleeves make me think it's from that era. Maybe even '39. Again, I'm no expert -- this is my "method" when it comes to dating patterns!!!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vanessa said:
I was watching those too - but they ended up too rich for my blood. Glad they went to a fellow Lounger.

Alas, they dont make up for the sleeve pattern I lost (Im so heartbroken over that one) but these worked themselves out to about $12 each. That aint too shabby. Combine that with free shipping, and I think I did alright! :D I think they would have went higher had the seller listed the auction differently...

AmyJ, super cute jimjams. The bottoms pattern could also be a great base for a slacks pattern, make em work double time ;)

LD

Sunny

One Too Many
Amy Jeanne said:
CIMG3323.jpg

I'm no pattern expert, but I would say this is 1940s. I'd say very early 40s judging by the hairdos on the drawings. Also the puffy sleeves make me think it's from that era. Maybe even '39. Again, I'm no expert -- this is my "method" when it comes to dating patterns!!!
Hehe, let's compare methods! :D Mine's almost the same. Late 30s patterns have a shoulders/sleeve line that goes out and not up (often the fullness is controlled with darts instead of gathers); early 40s patterns have wide shoulders with sleeves just beginning to go up. The change really comes about 1940. So I'd plunk for 1940 or 41, immediately before set-in sleeves became the rule. :D

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
AmyJ, super cute jimjams. The bottoms pattern could also be a great base for a slacks pattern, make em work double time ;)

LD

Oops, should have put that I'm ansewring a question for jtcarrey!!! But, yes, they are cute! And I have a '34 pattern very similar to this that I'm making into jeans! I'm almost done. Stayed tuned at a Fedora lounge near you!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Alas, they dont make up for the sleeve pattern I lost (Im so heartbroken over that one) ...

Yep - lost patterns haunt you for the longest time. I still remember how peeved I was to lose a particular sailor outfit years ago. But I did eventually find another copy (and in my size to boot). But that's a woe best left to The Ones That Got Away thread.

Here's a couple I picked up the other day:

82dc_1_sbl.jpg

6e18_1_sbl.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vanessa said:
Yep - lost patterns haunt you for the longest time. I still remember how peeved I was to lose a particular sailor outfit years ago. But I did eventually find another copy (and in my size to boot).

That one was in my size :cry:
Okay Ill be strong...be strong, me!

LD

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
I had a night off work (finally) and was sitting *at* the computer when the auction ended....I've been outbid or sniped on every slip/tap panty pattern I have ever bid on.....and now....it is mine.

slip_tap.jpg

Mwahahahahhahhahaha!!:rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe