Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

StanleyVanBuren

Hemingway Jones said:
:eusa_clap Excellent, Sir. Well executed. :eusa_clap

OK, so I'm curious here, what does this semi-formal look entail?

Here's what I'm seeing

non-matching vest
solid jacket
striped trousers
solid white shirt
solid color tie

Is this the gist of it? And what is the appropriate setting for such a look?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
StanleyVanBuren said:
OK, so I'm curious here, what does this semi-formal look entail?

Here's what I'm seeing

non-matching vest
solid jacket
striped trousers
solid white shirt
solid color tie

Is this the gist of it? And what is the appropriate setting for such a look?
If you're asking me, Stanley, I have no idea. I am going by the photo only. I am adhering to no other rule than aesthetics.

The gentleman looks great, and that is what it's all about to me. It's a morning suit without tails. -Wonderful look.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The stroller, as Orgetorix states, is daytime semi-formal. It's the daytime equivalent to the tuxedo or dinner suit. The morning coat equates to evening white tie. The most recent high profile use in the USA of a stroller was Reagan's first inauguration.

Key components are a solid jacket, either black or dark, dark grey. If single breasted it would ideally have peak lapels, and single breasted needs a solid vest in grey or buff (ideally). Tie can be glen plaid, Macclesfield or some sort of silvery/grey woven, possibly blues, etc. Shirt should have French cuffs and a white collar, but the body can have conservative stripes. Trousers should be dark grey striped (morning trousers) or checked, ideally without cuffs. You want non-matching jacket and trousers. Shoes should be black, either plain captoes or punch caps (not full brogues).

Stroller inspiration:

Easterdress.jpg

strollerandcutawaycopy1vb.jpg

Here's a version I'm working on, although it still needs alterations:

strollerbetaidesmarch07ju9.jpg

Orgetorix, you might try tucking in the flaps on your coat pockets with the stroller.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Good call on the pocket flaps. I had forgotten about them when I took the photo.

The only thing I'll add to what Alan has already said about the stroller is that old AA/Esquire illustrations tend to show a fair amount of leeway with what's acceptable with a stroller, at least compared to the rules for full morning dress. Shirts and vests of varying colors, notch lapels, and even the odd full-brogue shoe were depicted at one point or another. Thus, I think I can still wear a notch-lapeled jacket, a vest that's neither buff nor gray, and even a barrel-cuff shirt and still call it a stroller.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Stroller...

...with either a Bowler or a Homburg for a hat and gloves and cane or umbrella as accessories. Spats (grey) are pushing it but are sometimes worn. This is off-duty Guards regiment wear.

Alan

AlanC

Orgetorix said:
The only thing I'll add to what Alan has already said about the stroller is that old AA/Esquire illustrations tend to show a fair amount of leeway with what's acceptable with a stroller, at least compared to the rules for full morning dress. Shirts and vests of varying colors, notch lapels, and even the odd full-brogue shoe were depicted at one point or another. Thus, I think I can still wear a notch-lapeled jacket, a vest that's neither buff nor gray, and even a barrel-cuff shirt and still call it a stroller.

I think this is right. While there are ideal elements to the stroller, there was still quite a bit of variation in the old AA/Esky pics while still creating the right look.

Jovan

Suspended
If I only had this picture from the production of Box and Cox... it shows Mark Lenard and Walter Koenig wonderfully attired in morning dress with grey check trousers. (It's probably illegal to photograph it from the book I saw it in.)

Marty M.

Vendor
Strolling along.

I had no idea that the look was called a "Stroller". Here's my stroller. It didn't photograph well (my fault).
Marty Mathis

NewWindowDisplays01-06021.jpg

NewWindowDisplays01-06011.jpg

AlanC

You've got it down, Marty. The tie is perfect, although I don't know if fishing lures are standard issue for strollers. :D

(I'd probably tuck those pocket flaps in on yours, too.)

Jay

Practically Family
Here are some quick shots of my tweed 3-piece. It's a Richman Bros. dated 9/1/43.

IMG_0087.jpg

And yes, that is a 70s shirt I'm wearing. I don't want to hear it...
IMG_0083-2.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

Close up of the fabric.

I'll get some better shots when I find my tripod... and when the temperature drops below 90.

Marty M.

Vendor
3 in a row. Sorry.

[Here's a version I'm working on, although it still needs alterations:] AlanC

strollerbetaidesmarch07ju9.jpg

Orgetorix, you might try tucking in the flaps on your coat pockets with the stroller.[/QUOTE]

Alan I like the high peak lapel. Is there an article of clothing that you don't have? :eusa_doh: By the way, when are you moving to Minneapolis? We need clothing guru's like you. ;)
Marty

StanleyVanBuren

they see me strollin', they hatin'

Inspired by Orgetorix, here is my attempt at a stroller:

(and yes I know the trousers are too long -- they work better with other shoes)

stroller1.jpg

stroller2.jpg

stroller3.jpg

the tie isn't actually grey so I did the B&W thing so you can get the idea.

AlanC

^SVB, good show. I think your middle tie is the best bet.

Marty M. said:
Alan I like the high peak lapel. Is there an article of clothing that you don't have? :eusa_doh:

Back when I was in stroller hunting mode, I picked that up on ebay. It's an orphaned Zegna suit coat I got for about $30. I need to have the sleeves shortened on it. I'm afraid I'm always painfully aware of all the items of clothing I don't have. That's not to say I probably don't have more than I actually need!

By the way, when are you moving to Minneapolis? We need clothing guru's like you. ;)

Thanks, you're far too kind. Minneapolis is too far North, though. I start getting nervous when I cross the Ohio. I will say, though, y'all picked up a good basketball coach a couple of months back.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Marty M. said:
I had no idea that the look was called a "Stroller". Here's my stroller.
Marty Mathis

NewWindowDisplays01-06021.jpg

Nothing to add, other than that the stroller, as well as being the unofficial 'uniform' of off-duty Guards officers in London, was once the standard wear of what were known as 'floor walkers' (supervisory customer service officials) in up-market UK department stores. Think Captain Peacock in the old TV comedy 'Are You Being Served?'. He scores on both the above counts, as an ex-Guards floor walker. The character on the right. Notice the tie - if not ex-military, grey stripe or black and white stripe are usually preferred.
areyoubeingserved_2.jpg

Alan

benstephens

Practically Family
As we are showing formal wear, this is me doing a rather dubious American Dance last new year. These dances from across the pond seem to becoming all the rage!

It is not the best photograph to see the details, but it may give you an idea, my white pocket square has slipped down. Simone is perhaps showing rather to much leg!

(The New Year was set in 1937 at a Country house in Plymouth)

simonekneesup.jpg

Kindest Regards

Ben

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82