Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

benstephens

Practically Family
And this is me wearing a lightweight Saville Row wool suit, all be it sitting down playing cards in Switzerland this year. As I have said, photographs of me are quite rare, so I dont have many showing my suits, but as I find (Decent) ones I will post them.

46PlayingCards.jpg

Ben

Edward

Bartender
Hmmnn..... this shot has come out kinda blurry for some reason, but this is me in my most-recently purchased suit, worn out for the first time last night at a new burlesque club night in the Genesis Cinema, East London. (The Genesis used to be a music hall early last century before it became a cinema; in the big screen 1 upstairs it still has a performance space where the old stage would have been. Some nice photos of the original building at www.genesiscinema.com).

photosJune29001.jpg

The suit is a modern suit - three button, single breasted, a very dark, almost-black charcoal grey. Made by Remus Uomo, a label belonging to a Northern Ireland firm who have bene in business since I believe 1993. I've had a couple of their suits now, and they are really nice. You can definitely feel the quality difference between this and a high street chain. The ticket price for the two-piece was GBP199.00, though I paid a little less (bought from a local store back in Ireland from a guy Dad's been buying suits from forever). Beautiful trim detailing round the inside pockets. Not working buttons, but that's as it goes for most all off the peg jackets I've encountered in recent years. Really nice suit to wear... actually puts me in mind of a thirties cut - to my eye very close to the same basic design as the Magnoli Chinatown suit. It's not made to measure, but Remus Uomo suits just seem to fit me right, and I can generally wear 'em right off the peg. This one is a 40R - I more commonly wear a 42R in off the peg, but the way this one is cut fits me just perfect.

:)

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Marty M. said:
Looking good Orgetorix. Is that the same outfit that's in your Avatar?
Marty Mathis

Not quite. The avatar outfit is from my wedding day--morning coat, with the same trousers but different vest, shirt, tie, and a stiff collar.

I threw the morning coat on when I was taking the other pictures, just for fun:

Morningcoat2.jpg

Here's a shot from our wedding, showing the full outfit from my avatar (minus topper).

Ceremony_2006-12-16_208.jpg

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
where does etiquette stand re: morning costume and showing of waistcoat below the jacket button?

bk

Interesting question; I don't think I've ever seen that question addressed before. Now you raise it, I would suggest that etiquette is silent but aesthetics would suggest some but not too much; the d/b from the wedding photograph looks right, from my point of view.

Also note that this image seems to show a small amount of waistcoat visible below the closure of the coat in the morning coat illustrations:

Easterdress.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Orgetorix said:
Now that you ask, it does seem that most of the waistcoats show rather less below the jacket button than my SB one does. Hadn't thought of that.

Maybe something to do with chaging waistlines? I'm not by any means knowledgeable in this, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems logical to me that back in the days of higher waisted trousers, the waistcoat / vest would have sat higher up, and then over time come down as trouser waists did? The basic cut of tails - btho evening and morning - doesn't seem to me to have changed since the 20s in any great degree, so if the jacket stayed the same but the trosuers got lower waisted and the waistcoat came down to meet them.... make any sense?

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Users of the stroller look

As well as off-duty Guards regiment officers and floor walkers in old department stores it strikes me that the stroller is adopted by many Freemasons.

Alan

Marty M.

Vendor
#1 Picture.

[Here's a shot from our wedding, showing the full outfit from my avatar (minus topper). Orgetorix]

Ceremony_2006-12-16_208.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What a great shot and a beautiful Bride. Thanks for sharing Orgetorix.
Marty

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Maybe something to do with chaging waistlines? I'm not by any means knowledgeable in this, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems logical to me that back in the days of higher waisted trousers, the waistcoat / vest would have sat higher up, and then over time come down as trouser waists did? The basic cut of tails - btho evening and morning - doesn't seem to me to have changed since the 20s in any great degree, so if the jacket stayed the same but the trosuers got lower waisted and the waistcoat came down to meet them.... make any sense?

Yes, it does make sense and I think that's a great deal of it. Also a factor is the way the cut of SB waistcoats has changed. Look at this illustration, and note the way the bottom sides of his waistcoat curve away from each other more dramatically, with the points farther apart. If he buttoned his coat, there would still be a good bit below the button, but it'd be more hidden by the sides of the coat. My vest has a more closed bottom, so less of it is covered by the sides of the coat.

x183texb0.jpg

The fellow on the far right in this illustration shows what I'm talking about. The bottom of his vest is quite far below the button point, but it's mostly hidden by his coat.

weddingbigcopy7kvee4.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
1939 DB Suit in wool.

Very fine wool at that, so would have been great wear for the 1939 World's Fair in NYC!

Medium slate grey wool with alternate woven stripe in sky blue and a pinkish-cream colour. VERY nice combo.

Six buttons to the jacket, good wide lapels and no vents. Skeleton (half) lined.

Good 1 1/2 cuff to the trouser bottoms (turn ups!;) ). I like the double pleat to the front of the pants and a lovely deep zip on the fly.

Without further ado, pics of Paddy's garden and two of the three dogs somewhere [huh] (they say don't work with dogs and kids, well these mutts just had to get in on the act didn't they [huh] ;)

Becky's asleep in the background wrapped in an old army sleeping bag!

Suit1939DB009.jpg

Suit1939DB008.jpg

Suit1939DB007.jpg

Suit1939DB004.jpg

Suit1939DB003.jpg

Suit1939DB001.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hi B-K...

Quite right, it has US written all over it doesn't it. ;) Still has the old Union label in it, but no specific maker label (I haven't even looked to see if there were any stitch holes to show there ever was one).

Feels well made (medium weight, fine wool..so no itchyness) and no wear or tear to it (very strong condition, as is the zip with the 'made in USA' stamped on it). Fits me to a tee (plus I'm working out again these days, the bike is back on the road and the pounds are flying off, so this suit is just going to get better and better on me - one hopes!!).

My FIRST ever vintage suit (believe it or not).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh, and one more thing...B-K

THAT tie gets more positive comments than I have had hot dinners!! I need to be careful I don't wear it out, as so many folk just LOVE IT!! When I tell them that the tie is far older than they are, they just can't believe it :) I get comments like, "Wow, it's in such pristine condition, that cannot be 60-years-old!! What a lovely tie"...etc!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82