Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
By Jove...I think dear Jovan, you may have a point!

Thank you ever so much for that my friend, very positive feedback. Otherwise, I hate to think what a fashionista 'faux pas' I might have made of myself, stepping out into the public limelight looking like that :eusa_doh: Heaven forbid:eusa_doh: Let alone if the paparazzi had got a few shots off of me looking so dreadful :eek:

I am sure I am not alone here in saying, 'what would we do without you to keep us all looking ship-shape and dapper.'

I shall go straight to my tailors tomorrow and get this problem sorted. Thanks again Jovan for all your constructive feedback :)

Salv

One Too Many
Actually Paddy, there is something a little odd about the left-hand (i.e. your left hand side) buttons. They seem to be lower than the button holes, so when the jacket is buttoned the two pairs of lower buttons aren't level. Maybe it's just the way you're standing, but all three standing photos show the same mismatch. But it's a very nice suit - great lapels, and an excellent shape to the trousers. Where did you get it?

Don't discount the idea that the buttons are misplaced . . .

. . . There are valid concerns! And very useful ones, now that i re-examine the pictures.

There does seem to be some oddness re: the button placement. I would suggest that if any are in the wrong place it's gonna be the ones on the right - because they see more use (generally) the threads break and they get replaced more often. Also, alterations happen (make do and mend!). I've come across so many DB jackets that have been altered to fit someone smaller (particularly CC41 jackets, by the way, reduced to fit the son - this is what happened to my grandfather's DB demob suit), and a very large number that have had the buttons moved to fit the chap as he gets older and expands. Probably 50% of my DB jackets have needed some button movement to get them back where they were supposed to be.

Quite often this unbalanced effect can be brought about by a dropped shoulder (my right shoulder has pronounced drop), but this doesn't seem to be the case here - does your left shoulder drop, Paddy?

I suspect it might be time to get out the ruler and protractor and see where the buttons are supposed to be. if it turns out they're in the right place, great, but if they're not, finding out will undoubtedly make the suit look even better than it does now, and it looks great now! An easy test is this: measure from the hem to the bottom button on both sides, and from the hem to the bottom buttonhole. This measurement should be hear as damnit the same. if it's not, one of them is misplaced.

Some questions: is the inner fastening button present? And is it placed immediately behind the second button up on the left side?

bk

For Example:

CambridgeCothing1.jpg

I had to move the fastening buttons on this one at least 1/2 inch towards the pocket to get them back to where they were intended to be. They were also slightly out of alignment with their counterparts on the left side. unfortunately i have no "before" picture.

bk

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Anthony Jordan said:
Interesting question; I don't think I've ever seen that question addressed before. Now you raise it, I would suggest that etiquette is silent

Addressed, often. Silent, hardly. The issue was discussed in the likes of AA and Esquire over 60 years ago - before even I was born! It was a UK fashion probably not invented by Edward PoW but the popularity of the short formal vest was certainly certainly aided by him (as with much men's fashion in the 1930s). It was probably exported to the USA by the likes of Fred Astaire.

For a recent reference I quote Bernhard Hoetzel in 'Gentleman: a Timeless Fashion' (2004m Konemann), 'Fred Astaire got this idea from the Prince of Wales, whose vest had caught his eye. "The waistcoat did not show below the dress-coat front. I liked that" Fred found out that Hawes & Curtis had made this attractive item, but they declined to make one for him. he later found more compassion in Savile Row; Kilgour, French and Stanbury made him the evening dress that he wore in the 1935 movie Top Hat'.

Alan

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Drop on the DB...(reason: rushed job!).

Gents, I rushed the shots off so that I could upload them onto the Lounge. Because of that I forgot to 'do up' the inside button [huh] Hence the off set drop 'look' of one side.

When the retaining button is done up, it's balanced ;)

Guess who won't forget to do that again [huh] Thanks again!! :eusa_clap

Jay

Practically Family
Paddy, just an FYI, that inside button has a habit of coming unfastened. Never could figure out what the problem was...

Marcus

A-List Customer
Ok...I took the plunge and picked up a suit from slicedbread on this forum (featured in this post http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=20216 ). I'm completely new to the civilian attire realm, as I'm a WW2 reenactor. So here goes:

civilian003.jpg

Now, I picked up the jacket and trousers only. The rest is what I had laying around. As a newbie to all this I'm completely open to any suggestions anyone might have. As time and budget permits I'll be investing in different hats, shirts, ties and shoes. By the way the suit was shipped in a timely manner and I'd to business with Slicedbread again if the opportunity arises.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Welcome and beautiful suit! That gray stripe double breasted is THE quintessential, yet very elusive, 40s style suit. It is great fit on you, although you can choose to have the sleeves taken up a little bit to show a sliver of cuff (but it doesn't look terrible as it is..it'd be very minor...maybe 1/4-1/2"). Does it feel tight in the chest or waist? It looks like there is a bit of bunching, but it may just need to be pressed.
You look like you stepped right out of a film noir- very dapper! :eusa_clap

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ditto on Ray's comments!

Looking razor sharp there, you got yourself a great suit, now get out and start turning a few heads around your place. You'll be fighting them off!!

PADDY said:
Gents, I rushed the shots off so that I could upload them onto the Lounge. Because of that I forgot to 'do up' the inside button [huh] Hence the off set drop 'look' of one side.

When the retaining button is done up, it's balanced ;)

Guess who won't forget to do that again [huh] Thanks again!! :eusa_clap

Aha! Glad to hear that a trip to the tailor is not necessary . . .

bk

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vintage inspired Ralph Lauren DB suit.

A rather good attempt by Mr Lauren to capture a vintage feel with this suit.

A waist coat in the same fabric would have been a nice touch to this, and really made it. But as it stands, I'm happy enough with this little 'impressionistic' number.

ralphlaurensuit002.jpg

ralphlaurensuit005.jpg

ralphlaurensuit006.jpg

ralphlaurensuit012.jpg

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Alan Eardley said:
Addressed, often. Silent, hardly. The issue was discussed in the likes of AA and Esquire over 60 years ago - before even I was born! It was a UK fashion probably not invented by Edward PoW but the popularity of the short formal vest was certainly certainly aided by him (as with much men's fashion in the 1930s). It was probably exported to the USA by the likes of Fred Astaire.

For a recent reference I quote Bernhard Hoetzel in 'Gentleman: a Timeless Fashion' (2004m Konemann), 'Fred Astaire got this idea from the Prince of Wales, whose vest had caught his eye. "The waistcoat did not show below the dress-coat front. I liked that" Fred found out that Hawes & Curtis had made this attractive item, but they declined to make one for him. he later found more compassion in Savile Row; Kilgour, French and Stanbury made him the evening dress that he wore in the 1935 movie Top Hat'.

Alan

Alan,

All the references you quote refer to waistcoats for wear with full evening dress only - quite a different kettle of fish. To the best of my knowledge, BK was talking about waistcoats in the context of morning dress and, as I say, I don't recall ever having seen any discussion of waistcoat length relevant to this. I think Edward captured the reason; the crux is probably that modern waistcoats, for example, are cut to be worn with relatively lower-cut trousers than vintage examples and thus are proportionately longer.

Edward, thanks - if memory serves, the first pair of trousers are 1956 Hope Bros, Regent Street, and the second pair unknown maker and vintage but probably c.1950s as well. Both came from a vintage emporium here in Cardiff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe