Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

To elaborate: while the Brit and US 30s jackets i've seen tend to only have a single inner pocket on the right side, the German jackets i've seen invariably have one on each side. The buttons at the cuff are very similar to what was used on the German jackets i've seen and very different to what was used on Brit and US jackets. The fabric leading up to and surrounding the inner pocket is a very German touch - though it is also very common on US jackets from the late 60s-70s. While working buttonholes are pretty rare on 30s Brit and US suits, i've never seen a 30s German jacket without them.

I'll bet it's fully lined, too, eh? Rare on 30s US jackets, but common throughout Europe (including the island paradise) in the 30s.

frank kurtz

benstephens

Practically Family
I agree with Baron. I think German tailors as a whole worked to a much higher premise than their counterparts in England and America. The lining looks to be brushed cotton, which is expensive and comfy!

Ben

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Show us your suits 4

Cutting off the 50 pager and starting a new thread.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10087

Here's a blast from the past.

I was bigger back then.

b3-vi.jpg
b4-vi.jpg

b5-vi.jpg

Show us your suits.

Resortes, i'd guess late 30s on that last 'un. Very nice.

Here's my latest. Something of a steal on the Bay. Needed no tailoring for once. Shoulders a little wider than i prefer, but it works okay . . . Blue herringbone from the middle 40s or so. Lovely. I don't have many 3 button SBs, so this is a keeper! My apologies for the photograph - my camera was in the process of falling over when the timer took the pic.

BlueHerringbone1.jpg

bk

Jovan

Suspended
My only nitpick with the last outfit is that the drape of the trousers doesn't seem to match the relative fittedness of the coat much.

Here's a real blast from the past... back when I was Agent Smith. I suppose it fits the thread somewhat, since the look of the Agents were based in the 1960s. Note the horrid break on the pants.

agent1.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Jovan said:
I personally always fasten my three button jackets at the middle, and like them rolled to the second button. [huh]

That's very much the standard nowadays, and as I said, modern lapels are cut in a way which makes it look awkward when a man buttons the top button.

The older suits from the 30's and 40's are just more suited for using your buttons. Another problem I find with modern cuts is that with the low armholes you tend to pull at the chest more when moving making it necessary to unbutton the top when reaching around since you are locking together a box between the top button and the lower part of the armholes. If they are cut right maneuverablity is not a question when buttoning the top button.

Anywho I can button the top button on a three button with a vintage suit or a custom suit where I specify old school armholes. I can't button the top button with a modern three button as the newer cuts restrict my movement.

IMG_1421.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken