Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

That's it: Gripper. This one from the early 50s has gripper snaps just as you describe:

Windowpane1.jpg

bk

Feraud

Bartender
o.k., thanks for the help!! I appreciate it.

I am ecstatic to write I recently purchased a Kuppenheimer brand overcoat to go with the suit! They go together like Martin and Lewis. ;)
I will try to get pictures of the suit/overcoat combo if anyone is interested.

Btw, while watching The Twilight Zone I noticed Kuppenheimer provided the clothes for Rod Serling.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Dating Burtons

Bernard Newman said:
6532_12_sb.JPG

This label shows that it's newer than 1952, because Elizabeth II. became the queen 1952.

Greetings,
Bernhard

The Coronation was in June 1953, but Burtons would not be allowed to use the device on their label (the Royal Warrant) until it had been renewed (they had held it under the previous king). Lets say that it too two years for this to happen.

The label says 'Leeds 9' - an old code. The postcodes were changed in the UK from 1962 onwards and the project proceeded in order of size of city, finishing in 1970, so Leeds would be done about half way through. Lets say 1966.

So, an educated guess is that the suit is somewhere between 1955 and 1966. By its styling, I would lean towards the later date.

Alan

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Here's some pics I managed to take before the batteries melted my digital camera.

Dated 1946 flannel chalkstripe.
46blue-greychalkstripe.jpg

Quintesential blue '50s suit.
blueserge.jpg

Pants have a hollywood waist with outside suspender buttons
detail-1.jpg

Although not a suit, this is 50's matching sports ensemble by Harris & Frank.
The pants have a cool effect at the outer seam where the front layer actually forms a little flap over the back.
brownsportsensemble.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
I'm pretty sure that classifies as a suit if the fabric is the same. I've seen some suits that are clearly marketed as suits have sportswear features... throat tabs, elbow patches, etc.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
I'm pretty sure that classifies as a suit if the fabric is the same. I've seen some suits that are clearly marketed as suits have sportswear features... throat tabs, elbow patches, etc.

Actually the fabrics are different; they are the same color, but the pants are plain flannel, and the coat is a worsted herringbone.

benstephens

Practically Family
Hi Baron,

Funnily enough, I went to a fair at the weekend, and I have never seen so many suits in one place. There were loads, from Edwardian to the 1960s, in a range of sizes. As for price, it depends on what the suit is, and how nice it is. A three piece over here is now around 95 pounds on average, so being more and other less.

Ben

Jay

Practically Family
I don't think so. I've seen other forums with threads up to 400+ pages. Come on. We can navigate through all these suits and comments, can't we?

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:
That one was amazing. Sucha long jacket, though. Hacking suit?

Benny, i didn't even see the one you posted. Was it well listed? that is one i would definitely wear. Beautiful . . .

bk

Apologies for the tardy reply Baron, I've been away for the last couple of days.

The suit was listed under Vintage - Men's Clothing - 1947-64 - suits -as "Vintage 1940's Doublebreasted Houndstooth Suit~minty~38". Naturally, I'm hoping that the 'minty' refers to the suit's condition and not its smell (although body odour would be far worse than mint, so I guess I wouldn't be in a position to complain!). I thought I'd have a real fight for it, but was fortunate in being on my lonesome in this quest.

benstephens

Practically Family
Hi,

I thought I would post a few more suits here. I know people like to see them on, but as and when I get photos of me wearing them I will post them, but for the time being please bear with me and see them laid flat.

The first is a Herringbone Tweed brown suit. It is unusual in that it has no breast pocket on the jacket. The trousers are unpleated and the pockets go form left to right.

bonetweed3.jpg

bonetweed2.jpg

bonetweed1.jpg

The next is a very heavy tweed plus four suit made by Butons.

Burtonplus4.jpg

Burtonplus4-1.jpg

This has very baggy plus fours, and is very comfy!

Ben

benstephens

Practically Family
This suit is lovely, but I am unsure of age. Some things make me say late thirties, others maybe a bit latter. Please have a look and see what you think. It is made from an absolutely wonderful worsted grey flannel. It has cotton lining, striped cotton lining to the sleeves and waistcoat. The trousers are a baggy cut. At first I though the fact the pockets were not cut straight may indicate it was slightly latter, but I noticed one of my 1930s suits was cut like this.

I think the condition is what makes it seem newer than it is, as it seems to be virtually unworn, and the Flannel is as good as new. It is a heavy flannel though.

Please have a look and see if we can pin point a date.

Flanpin3.jpg

Flanpin2.jpg

flanpin1.jpg

Flanpin.jpg

Many Thanks

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken