Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Jovan said:
My only nitpick with the last outfit is that the drape of the trousers doesn't seem to match the relative fittedness of the coat much.

I know, i agree, that's one of my problems with the outfit too. The real problem is that i've reduced the waist on those trousers 4 inches. The fullness through the thighs is meant for a totally different body than mine, and when wearing a jacket that fits my body type, they look slightly odd.

Without the jacket it just looks like the super-extra-full-through-the-thighs trousers of the 30s.
As for the blue one, it's a strange beast all around. It reminds me very much of German 30s suits. The armholes are super high (i find that the German 30s jackets always seem have higher armholes for some reason). The trousers have the "English" pleats and are really quite low waisted - about 1/2 inch below my natural waist when hiked right up. Weird. Maybe it was a boy's suit? Strangely full through the chest for a boy's suit, but just maybe.

bk

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
You could always get the trousers recut, but that would be somewhat drastic.

I had some done by a good tailor. I had a brown suit with a single and double breateed jacket and pants. i wish I had kept the single and had a vest made, but I just kept the jacket as I found a matching pair of pants, and sold the other pants with the single. But the pants wer so big I had him totally take them apart and redo.

Now they are better, but the pockets are too far back so I am going to have the waistband taken off the front and the pleats deepened. Should have just kept the rest and had the pants made into a vest. Then I would have two sweet suits.

Oh well.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
The suits III thread was closed so I will repost these photos here to remind folks. I need to have the sleeves shortened on this jacket with the working sleeves just a little. The alteration place I use for everything told me they would have to shorten it at the top were the sleeve meets the jacket. Is that right? Sounds kind of scary to me.
284b_12.JPG

2b3a_12.JPG

2e57_12.JPG

benstephens

Practically Family
Yes that is right, they need to take the sleeve off and then shorten it. However, you have quite a bit of cuff beyond the last button hole. They should be able to alter that.

Ben

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, I think the sleeves certainly can safely be shortened to that crease, and in fact look the better for it. I've had sleeves with working buttonholes shortened when there was enough length past the button, and they turned out fine. Just don't go too short or the buttons will look off.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Well to be faithfull to them, I just asked how it would work when I was picking something else up. If they saw it in person they very well could have had the same assesment as you did. I'll let you know when I take it in if they do, a little test for them;) .

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
I was in Sydney, Australia, last December, scheduled to give a talk when I realized I'd left my suit in my Hong Kong hotel room.

Grumbling, I trudged down to the David Jones (a department store downunder) to buy a sports jacket and tie. However, I realized that for just $100 more, I could pick up a nice suit. Since it was the beginning of summer, I could choose a very lightweight wool suit - it's the perfect summer suit, and lighter than anything I have ever found in the northeast USA.

The photographer at my talk took this publicity shot of me.

Sydneytalk.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
Nice 'stache!

Time for nick-pitting. The sleeves on that jacket could be shortened a little. I also think a brown hat of some sort (fedora or otherwise) would go better with that pattern and colour of suit. But you look confident, and that's what's most important. :)

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Jovan said:
Nice 'stache!

Time for nick-pitting. The sleeves on that jacket could be shortened a little. I also think a brown hat of some sort (fedora or otherwise) would go better with that pattern and colour of suit. But you look confident, and that's what's most important. :)

the light colored hat seems to be fitting of the warm weather. since his suit is a modern suit, if the sleeves got shorter they would probably ride up too much a lot due to the low armholes whenever he moved his arms....

Jovan

Suspended
I don't see your point. They'd still look better with a bit of cuff showing when standing normally. My off the rack suits from today show cuff when I stand straight, and the riding up isn't a huge problem.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Jovan said:
I don't see your point. They'd still look better with a bit of cuff showing when standing normally. My off the rack suits from today show cuff when I stand straight, and the riding up isn't a huge problem.

*edit* I decided to make my message short and sweet *edit*

Take a chill pill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken