Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Here's one that I'm immensely dissappointed that I didn't see...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Harris-...4QQihZ009QQcategoryZ52388QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

62ad_3.JPG

64aa_3.JPG

:( :rage:

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Benny Holiday said:
Looks kinda Benjamin Siegel to me, nice 40's styling. Fresh from the usual auction site, from which these pics were 'borrowed':

There will be some pics of me in that suit when it arrives, and some of my other suits, coming soon. I managed to get some pics of my beltback jacket and one of my 40's loafer jackets with the new digital camera, but I've been slogging it out in 104 degree heat every day and after a busy afternoon haven't wanted to don a heavy wool suit in those sort of conditions.

Nice suit. Have the pictures been flipped (mirror-wise), or does it really button on the wrong side, like a woman's jacket?

generally with the vintage DBs there are two buttonholes on the side that normally fastens on the inside. Therefore it is possible to fasten the jacket completely either way. eBay vintage sellers (often female) who are not used to selling menswear, but deal mainly with womenswear, often make this error.

bk

Grace

Vendor
I've noted what you fellas have said about Donegal. Many thanks for the info! Slicedbread-what a suit! Shame you didn't win. I'm watching an incredible dress (that ends this evening) that I'm waiting to pounce on. So far no bids....I get stuck in the dream world of 'maybe no one else will see this....'

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was very close to bidding on that Harris Tweed, it is such a beautiful suit. I am a bit heavy and short for it.:(

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
Benny, i didn't even see the one you posted. Was it well listed? that is one i would definitely wear. Beautiful . . .
bk

It was quite well listed. Don't you hate it when something like that slips by right under your nose? That's what happened with that tweed up there to me... I had an intense urge to buy the houndstooth but my enemy (rational thinking) reminded me that I had my girlfriend's birthday coming up and needed to save my cash for that.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
slicedbread said:
It was quite well listed. Don't you hate it when something like that slips by right under your nose? That's what happened with that tweed up there to me... I had an intense urge to buy the houndstooth but my enemy (rational thinking) reminded me that I had my girlfriend's birthday coming up and needed to save my cash for that.

Any idea on the age of that. I am guessing it is sixties or later maybe but very traditional. Cool to see stuff that is still done traditionally. Upper class brits tend to wear stuff like that.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
reetpleat said:
Any idea on the age of that. I am guessing it is sixties or later maybe but very traditional. Cool to see stuff that is still done traditionally. Upper class brits tend to wear stuff like that.

Are you referring to the tweed? If so, it was listed in the 30's-46 section.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
It is so heavy weight I think no one would be able to wear it for long.

I am thinking it is sixties or seventies. The vent in the back could be for horse riding, but might just be the style. I think it is kind of edwardian cut. If it were thirties, i think it owuld be narrower inthe shoulders instead of so balanced top to bottom. Also, the tags just seem modern, or moreso than 30s or 40s.

Of course without having it in your hands, it is so hard to tell, especially with such a traditional company.

Cool piece though.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Jovan said:
I don't know about the jacket. Sure, it's vintage and Harris tweed, but not very tasteful.

I imagine it the perfect choice for a student/professor in a place of cooler climates...Perhaps not the full suit, but pieces at a time would be a great touch.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
reetpleat said:
It is so heavy weight I think no one would be able to wear it for long.

I am thinking it is sixties or seventies. The vent in the back could be for horse riding, but might just be the style. I think it is kind of edwardian cut. If it were thirties, i think it owuld be narrower inthe shoulders instead of so balanced top to bottom. Also, the tags just seem modern, or moreso than 30s or 40s.

Of course without having it in your hands, it is so hard to tell, especially with such a traditional company.

Cool piece though.

I think you may be quite right as the label I think was seen in the 60's...Anyone care to clear this up?

6668_12_sb.JPG

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Well, here is our chance to play detective. Of course we may never know, but those numbers might give us a clue.

The problem wiht european or british or asian lables is they often retained a vintage look.

I happen to have posted a tween sportcoat I am pretty sure is from the fifties in teh classified.

It has the same tweed label as this one, but a different burton label which is the one I thought didn't look that old.

Here are the ones on the jacket I have.

Picture217.jpg

Kind of funny we would even be discussing it. But who cares. I love it.

Micawber

A-List Customer
Ah, Burton's; there was a time when every town high street in England would have had a branch. That is an interesting suit, the Harris Tweed Authority would be able to throw some light on the specifics of when and where if they were supplied with the serial number on the label.

benstephens

Practically Family
Here is a picture of my new black pin stripe suit. Once I have done the necessary alterations I will post a picture of me wearing it.

blackPin1.jpg

BlackPin.jpg

Kind Regards

Ben

benstephens

Practically Family
Here is a picture of me in my Brown check suit. It is a bit dark I am afraid, but as I dont have many photos of me, this is the only one I have in that suit.

BenBorrin.jpg

Kind Regards

Ben

Micawber

A-List Customer
Salv said:
Burton are still there on the UK high street, but they are just another menswear fashion chain now.

Yes they certainly are. Not my kind of shop but I remember my father having some MTM business suits made there in the early 60's. I have a feeling there are not quite so may branches as there used to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken