Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does the M65 Field Jacket have wide sleeves?

Mr.Crowley

New in Town
Hi guys. I recently bought myself an original M65 Field Jacket, made in '70. The size of the jacket fits me. I am very satisfied, but the sleeves are too wide. I want to give it to a tailor and narrow the sleeves. But I'm afraid of spoiling the original look of the jacket. Are M65s wear with wide sleeves? Do field jackets have such wide sleeves?

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Hi guys. I recently bought myself an original M65 Field Jacket, made in '70. The size of the jacket fits me. I am very satisfied, but the sleeves are too wide. I want to give it to a tailor and narrow the sleeves. But I'm afraid of spoiling the original look of the jacket. Are M65s wear with wide sleeves? Do field jackets have such wide sleeves?
Yes. Only the fashion versions have narrower sleeves.

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
Sir, thank you for your reply. If you were in my shoes, would you have narrowed the sleeves? Would you prefer to use it with the original wide sleeves?
Do you look like John Rambo from first blood?
If you want to stay period correct, keep as is, if you want it more fitted, get it altered and fitted.
First-Blood-Sylvester-Stallone-Green-Jacket.webp
s-l400.jpg

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Sir, thank you for your reply. If you were in my shoes, would you have narrowed the sleeves? Would you prefer to use it with the original wide sleeves?
I had also originally considered having mine tightened. But I actually think that an original one just has to be like this. Mine also has a lining, which is quite comfortable with the wide sleeves. My M-65 also had wide sleeves 40 years ago and it was fine.
But if you like it narrower better, then go for it.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I was going to say that the sleeves were made to incorporate a liner and with further layering. I'd think it would look odd with such tailoring, but I also think you should do what you like with it. JCrew had a field jacket...Mechanics Jacket?...with a more tailored, fashiony look. Also, keep in mind that M-65s were sized to fit a rather wide body type. For instance, the medium fits a 4inch range of shoulder. Maybe size down a single size for a tighter fit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr.Crowley