Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Michaelshane

One Too Many
We try very hard to not pass our childhood food baggage on to Lily. Hubby & I were both products of "clean plate club" families, and we see the effect it has had on us. We take the approach that it is our job to put good food in front of her, and it is her job to eat it. We do have a house rule that she has to try one bite of each new food before she can say "no, thank you" to finishing it. We don't call food yucky, as that is rude and bad manners. I also give Lily veggies as her "appetizer" so she will eat them when she is the most hungry. I've also tuned in to which veggies she prefers cooked or raw. I'm not a short order cook, so she eats what we eat. If she decides that she just doesn't want to eat what has been fixes, I remind her that the next meal offered will be breakfast, and that is a long time after dinner. She gets to choose to eat or not, and she also gets to live with the consequence (being hungry) of her choice. She is almost 5 and has only chosen no dinner twice. She usually can find one thing on her plate she likes. We are lucky to have a child that will eat Thai, Italian, Mexican, etc. She's developed a sense of adventure by us encouraging just trying one bite.

Exactly how I was raised.

Whole roasted chicken, stuffed full of and smothered in sliced lemon, onion, ginger root, garlic, red pepper flakes and coarse ground salt. Basted with melted butter and pineapple juice. Served over jasmine rice with a mixed greens salad.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Stopped in at the local Asian supermarket yesterday (ok, not local.... next city over, but I had errands to do there, so it was local to my errands), and picked up a couple pounds of baby bok choy. I also got some lemongrass (they don't carry it at my supermarket), and rice noodles so tonight will be my first attempt at making chicken pho. I'll be using some chicken thighs I picked up last week on manager's special. Fingers crossed it turns out!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Ohmygoodness. So good!

20150121_183313-1.jpg

Used this recipe. Worth the time investment. http://steamykitchen.com/139-vietnamese-chicken-noodle-soup-pho-ga.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deuter