Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Another evening of Poldark followed by Westworld. I confess I'm getting a little tired of Ross Poldark's relentless bad luck. How is he even alive the way everything goes bad for him? And Demelza continues to annoy. Angharad Rees was much better in the role in the '70s series, a real spitfire, take-no-crap guttersnipe. I still have no idea what is happening on Westworld, unhelped by having missed an episode or two, but it's spectacular to watch and anything with Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris is worth watching. They had a good scene together last night.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Heidi was the connect my mind went to as well. That said, the Raiders had such an outlaw swagger in that era that they were kind of like the anti-Dallas Cowboys which gave them a "subversive" national following.

Heidi?
:D
One of the highlights of my youth was when Jim Otto visited our school. I had a front row seat.

To the first comment "I certainly resemble that remark"!

To the second... They were all hero's of mine... even crazy ole Uncle Al.

The Heidi Bowl.... Watched it live on NBC. They were out in Oaktown playing the Jets and it was the late game. This was pre-merger of course. A 12 year old kid in the Projects saw this team decked out in Silver and Black. Their logo... A pirate type wearing an eye patch and behind him two crossed swords.... Not only did they stage a 4th Quarter Comeback for the ages... nobody ever got to see it. The 3 Super Bowls they later won was just frosting on the Cake. Silver and Black till I die.

Worf

Last edited:
To the first comment "I certainly resemble that remark"!

To the second... They were all hero's of mine... even crazy ole Uncle Al.

The Heidi Bowl.... Watched it live on NBC. They were out in Oaktown playing the Jets and it was the late game. This was pre-merger of course. A 12 year old kid in the Projects saw this team decked out in Silver and Black. Their logo... A pirate type wearing an eye patch and behind him two crossed swords.... Not only did they stage a 4th Quarter Comeback for the ages... nobody ever got to see it. The 3 Super Bowls they later won was just frosting on the Cake. Silver and Black till I die.

Worf

My father went to his grave in the early '90s still cursing the "Heidi Bowl."

"Snake" was my favorite. He was a teenage kid's perfect anti-hero: hated practice, hated working out, loved booze, loved loose women and played better under pressure.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
On The Buses.
Good old fashioned British politically incorrect humour. Chatting up girls with sexy remarks, slightly dodgy ethnic names(a black guy named 'Chalky' because his name is White) and a little ageism thrown in. Nothing too offensive

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
What year was this film made?

Worf

It was an English TV series from 1969 to 1973, with a few theatrical films put out as well (I recall one beat out that year's James Bond in the British cinema's takings).

It was on reruns in Canada for years. Think two middle aged, not good looking guys going around picking up dolly birds (especially the "clippies" - female ticket collectors) and constantly saying "Cor, blimey", while mocking the age and looks of their grumpy supervisor who in actuality was younger than one and not much older than the other.

It was really fun to watch, though I haven't seen it in years...

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
What year was this film made?

Worf
Being re-run on British TV at the moment.
Reg Varney the main star, was 53 at the time the series started. As Cairo says, chatting up the female ticket collectors was a major part of the plot, a lot of the girls being in their 20s were always going out with these older geezers with Stan(Reg Varney) often waiting for his mum to go to bed as he still lived with her, for a few minutes on the settee with the smitten girl.
Stephen Lewis, who played Inpector Blake, 'Blakey', the senior inspector was a well respected writer at the time and all through the 1960s & 70s. He was co writer of 'On The Buses' together with Bob Grant who played 'Jack' Stans mate.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Wheeler Dealers. Ed finally met his match in a Ford Bronco! Can't say I blame them on giving up on the first body.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
The Blacklist. Well, is he or is he ain't?
Designated Survivor. F'cryin-out-loud, Kirkman, the president can appoint judges when Congress is in recess, so appoint nine justices that will be confirmed or not later. The governor of a state can appoint a senator, so we can at least have some sort of Senate. The states have to call for a special election to replace a Representative, so writers, have the states get it in gear. The premise is very interesting, but it seems to have devolved into Peyton Place After a Bad Nuclear Thing. So why do you watch it?, you may ask. Good question, I'll think of an answer when the season is over.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Silent War. Interesting look at the Cold War submarine scrimmages going on. Some nice interviews with Royal Navy and Soviet Navy personnel.

Silent War. Interesting look at the Cold War submarine scrimmages going on. Some nice interviews with Royal Navy and Soviet Navy personnel.

It's crazy fascinating that all this submarine cat and mouse was going on for so many years during the Cold War. With the luxury of hindsight and a peaceful end to the war, it can look wasteful, but respecting the seriousness of it at the time, you have to applaud and be awed by what humans can accomplish and the resources this country was able to bring to it while still having enough for a respectable average living standard.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82