Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Over the past several evenings, ep. 1 of the BBC adaptation of And Then There Were None; Poldark, ep. 2; and Longmire, eking it out one episode a week, trying to make it last as long as we can. In there somewhere was Bluebloods.

Joe50's

Familiar Face
Foyles war - they were helping a wife look for her husband in bomb wreckage and they found him with a knife in him. The wife was out of town with a friend and the neighbor saw someone at the door so they are trying to figure out who got him. On the lighter note Foyles son got assigned to help with the new rdf radar tracking team to win the war with radar . Have yet to finish the episode

⇧ Wonderful show, vaguely remember the episodes.

Foyle's War was, IMHO, more of a character-driven show than plot driven in part because some of those plots looked liked a child's cat's cradle when done.

But regardless of the, sometimes, unnecessary plot complexity and questionable believability, you cared about Foyle, Sam and Paul. I waited each episode for Foyle to dress down the criminal in his calm but devastating way. Nobody did that better than he.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Watched the Jays crrrrrrrrrruuuuusssssssssh the HATED Texas Rangers 10-1 (is there a sympathy rule?!?!?!). Nice to see Bautista rub some salt in with a completely unnecessary three run homer in the ninth. I hope Odor watched it all the way, a 424 foot middle finger as one Toronto paper put it...

Oh, and then we saw this week's Gotham, which was great!

Watched the Jays crrrrrrrrrruuuuusssssssssh the HATED Texas Rangers 10-1 (is there a sympathy rule?!?!?!). Nice to see Bautista rub some salt in with a completely unnecessary three run homer in the ninth. I hope Odor watched it all the way, a 424 foot middle finger as one Toronto paper put it...

Oh, and then we saw this week's Gotham, which was great!

I think you could have watched a test pattern after the Jays' game and you would have thought it was great. :)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
⇧ Wonderful show, vaguely remember the episodes.

Foyle's War was, IMHO, more of a character-driven show than plot driven in part because some of those plots looked liked a child's cat's cradle when done.

But regardless of the, sometimes, unnecessary plot complexity and questionable believability, you cared about Foyle, Sam and Paul. I waited each episode for Foyle to dress down the criminal in his calm but devastating way. Nobody did that better than he.

Loved Foyle's War! I need to rewatch all the episodes sometime.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Black List and Designated Survivor, off the dvr. I really want Designated Survivor to work, but I spend too much time criticizing the writing (every other person is either ready to nuke someone to make US look strong, or is jockeying on steroids to grab power). Sutherland's honest, likable Everyguy is in over his head, but it seems like the scripters are focusing on power plays in an artificially narrowed stage, DC. There are still 50 states functioning but no one acknowledges that. I know, I know, "Relax, Jake, it's tvtown."

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Better Things. Good episode.

High Maintenance. I sort of like this show, but I couldn't begin to tell you why.

American Horror Story. Got REAL stupid, REAL fast.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
"Timeless," pilot episode. An update on the 1966-67 series "The Time Tunnel," A woman history professor is dragooned by the government into using a rickety time machine to chase a better time machine that some terrorists have hijacked to, for some reason, keep the Hindenburg from crashing. I did get a kick out of the woman complaining, when she was costumed for the trip, "This dress is from the forties, and the blouse is a fabric they didn't have back then, and they didn't have underwired bras!" (the underwired bra is a crucial plot device later on.) The second episode is Monday and I'll probably watch. They do make interesting use of the little problems of time travel.

The last two episodes of season three of Ripper Street. The best season so far. Better stories, better directing, better use of characters, and better cinematography. Not a perfect show, but much better than most of what is produced over here.
Although season four is currently playing, xfinity/Satan is only allowing its subscribers to see episodes five through seven. Episodes one through four are no longer available for viewing until later when they will cost extra on top of the subscription cost. Jerks.
:D

"Timeless," pilot episode. An update on the 1966-67 series "The Time Tunnel," A woman history professor is dragooned by the government into using a rickety time machine to chase a better time machine that some terrorists have hijacked to, for some reason, keep the Hindenburg from crashing. I did get a kick out of the woman complaining, when she was costumed for the trip, "This dress is from the forties, and the blouse is a fabric they didn't have back then, and they didn't have underwired bras!" (the underwired bra is a crucial plot device later on.) The second episode is Monday and I'll probably watch. They do make interesting use of the little problems of time travel.

Just watched the pilot yesterday and agree with your comments, as you said, there is promise here, but this one could go either way - either stronger writing allowing for history to be seen from a modern perspective as the characters develop less certainty about their opinions today and more respect for the time they travel to or it becomes a worse version of the pilot where time-travel is just an excuse for moral preening ("how backwards society was in its norms and laws versus us so-enlightened people today") and silly, over-signaled two-dimensional good versus bad fights.

One question I have that my internet search hasn't answered yet is that the episodes indirectly references that buses in New Jersey were segregated in '37 with black people having to sit in the back. I was not aware (and am embarrassed by that if true) that NJ had segregated buses. It seems a big detail that I can't believe the writers got wrong, but still, having grown up in the state and being a reasonably inquisitive kid, I thought I had learned that NJ didn't have segregated buses. Does anyone know the answer?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Black List and Designated Survivor, off the dvr. I really want Designated Survivor to work, but I spend too much time criticizing the writing (every other person is either ready to nuke someone to make US look strong, or is jockeying on steroids to grab power). Sutherland's honest, likable Everyguy is in over his head, but it seems like the scripters are focusing on power plays in an artificially narrowed stage, DC. There are still 50 states functioning but no one acknowledges that. I know, I know, "Relax, Jake, it's tvtown."

I agree 100 Percent. It's grim but also sadly predictable. I can tell where things are heading like I wrote the script. Stupid, selfish teens are why I stopped watching "Fear the Walking Dead". I hate stupidity.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82