Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

barnabus

One Too Many
I like the subtle nod to the ‘King Of Cool’, with that tshirt

I had a 1969 Trimuph Daytona a few years back and I tell you what, a guy feels like Steve McQueen on a bike like that.

Thank you.

My bike is a Bonneville, so I feel like I can get away with a couple of the t-shirts.

IMG_20240608_151930097_HDR.jpg

Buick

Familiar Face
I almost bought a Ninja ZX4RR just a couple of weeks ago.

Bit of a contrast to my Bonneville.

Exactly! The ZX4rr looks like an amazing bike. I’ve had a 636 and it was too much bike for riding in the roads, and without the flickability of the little ninja. Seems like the 4rr could potentially tick both those boxes. Would love to try one out but they aren’t exactly sitting around in dealerships.

Nacho

Practically Family
This is what I meant by the bomber epaulets.

View attachment 621038

If you zoom in the picture of him sitting with the director, you’ll see the epaulets are similar to the pic above. I’ve never seen a vintage Sears Dpocket having this epaulets configuration before. Or maybe I’m missing something. Schott did borrow a lot of ideas from the aviation industry back in the days though.

Yours is the later version towards the 60s when they transitioned to the Oakbrook label.

I’ve seen that bomber epaulets on the Sears map pocket though, but that jacket is built on an A2 chassis so that makes sense.

View attachment 621047

Turned out there WAS a Sears Dpocket with the bomber or A2 epaulets. Sold by @tmitchell59 a while ago. Pics and vid belong to Terry down below.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/1950-sears-hercules-motorcycle-jacket-40-42.105081/

Looks pretty much similar to the new Schott 568 Bikeriders. A few speculations come to mind!

EDIT: Also with the Oakbrook label

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...-history-1949-1963.101311/page-6#post-2701767

Last edited:

Buick

Familiar Face
AERO Highwayman? Nice jacket - cool fit!
It is indeed! Thank you. The brown one I posted earlier was from 2014. I haven’t got a date on this one but I suspect it’s earlier. Both are labelled 38 but this one is slightly roomier for me (42 inch chest relaxed)

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

"The D-pocket configuration is featured in our first Perfecto motorcycle jacket designed by Irving Schott in 1928."

"D Pocket Front as featured in our first Perfecto Motorcyle Jacket in 1928"

Nice spin from Schott as always. But the D pocket looks a lot more like the one on the Sears Hercules / Oakbrook than the one on the 1928 Schott (it's the Beck 333 they're referring to right?). The Beck's coin pocket has rounded corners.

6DD7965D-4072-440E-8413-2C691EF8C481.jpeg

The jacket has a back length of 24 inches, which is authentic to the period.

These 50s jackets were a lot shorter. I've never seen one with a 24" back.

Terry's size 40

IMG_1880.jpeg

My size 42
IMG_1882.jpeg

The belt is sold separately but I don't think a roller buckle as shown in their advertising material looks good on this jacket.

IMG_1883.jpeg

Buick

Familiar Face
I’ve noticed that Schott say that this is a limited ‘first run’: I wonder if they are planning on following it up with some refinements or use other leathers? I get that it seems very close to a copy of the Sears jacket, and that might open them up to some valid criticism - but I feel quite excited for the direction this might take.

I asked Schott earlier whether the 568 is compatible with their 618m accessory collar and was told that it is not. I wonder why they included the extra snaps and have not released a compatible ‘fur’ collar?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I get that it seems very close to a copy of the Sears jacket, and that might open them up to some valid criticism - but I feel quite excited for the direction this might take.
I think it's great that they're doing a copy of the Sears jacket. There's nothing wrong with that, it's a great design. It's just the fact that Schott often claims or implies that the designs that they are copying are their own (which is clearly not the case).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld