Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vanson T3

9hXrPjlh.jpg
TEg8K9fh.jpg
F6atcTth.jpg

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Today is another 44 cent special I found yesterday. Town and Country by Gordon & Ferguson is the label and it is made in the USA.
1.-19-2017 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Probably made near the end of their run. An old line St Paul Minnesota company in business from the late 1800s to the late 1900s. This one has a 100% wool shell.
P1230055 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
They made a fantastic jacket in 1904 with a wool shell, suede leather body lining and sleeves and a knit stand collar and cuffs. Would love to find one of those. Field and Stream was also one of their labels.
P1230046 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Apparently they purchased Guiterman Bros leather jacket makers in the late 1920s.
P1230048 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Amazing the stuff you find out when you buy a 44 cent jacket.

Michael

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ordered through logan's? wow, this is one massive bear of a jacket. has metal plates?

I bought it used so I'm not sure where the guy I bought it from got it but I got the impression he bought direct from Vanson. I got it along with another black one that was made in a limited numbered run and signed by Arnold Schwarzenegger. This one was made custom on the same pattern but in performance weight steer in Octagon brown. It doesn't have any metal plating as far as I can tell but is a very heavy jacket with multiple layers of leather in some areas and all of the joined pieces on the upper arms. It weighs 7 1/2 Lbs.

TPD166

One Too Many
Wearing my Taylor's Leatherwear black civilian flight jacket. Taylor's called it a "G-2" (no longer in their catalog), but I'm not really sure what the correct name is for this style of jacket. The leather is soft, but grainy - not sure what kind it is. I know Taylor's uses horse, steer, and goatskin in their jackets but this is different from any of my other jackets (including other from Taylor's). [EDIT: Apparently it is made of lambskin]

Last edited:

TPD166

One Too Many
The link did not take me to a particular jacket, but I will share what I know about Taylor's. I've been wearing their jackets since 1984. My first was a horsehide police motorcycle jacket and it was one of the finest jackets I've ever owned. Over the years I have owned several other police jackets in various styles and have always found their quality to be top-notch. I currently own three of their jackets - a police uniform jacket (their Memphis model) and, in addition to the jacket I'm wearing today, their C-1 commercial pilot jacket - very happy with all three.

While I have seen no change in quality over the years, they now seem to make most of their jackets out of cowhide and goatskin, where they all almost used to be horsehide. They also sell some less-expensive imported jackets under a different label, but I've not handled their imported jackets. Finally, I have dealt with their customer service many times - alterations, questions about different models/sizing, etc. and have found their service outstanding and service pricing very reasonable.

Speaking of Taylor's Leatherwear, do any of you guys think this looks like a worthwhile bargain?

http://taylorsleatherwear.com/buy-o...s-Light-Duty-Black-Leather-Motorcycle-Jackets

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld