Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thanks AL. It's only another 550 miles to Buffalo. I hope you'll make the trip someday!

No doubt we will make the trek to Buffalo. My sisters-in-law and their families both reside in Princeton, NJ, and we have driven out there on several occasions. We generally make at least one trip out to NJ and NYC every year, and always visit my dear friend Sergio as well as his wonderful restaurant in Harrison, NY, Emilio Ristorante.

If you are ever so inclined to head west of Chicago we extend our open invitation to you and your family to visit us in MN!

Cheers,

AL

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Good Morning all!

I'm taking the opportunity to wear this recently acquired Stetson 25 Open Road today. I rather like the blue/grey felt.

smugshot6311109-L.jpg

Interesting just how much the colour changes in different light. Outside in diffused cloudy light it is very much light blue. In the office (nasty fluorescents) totally light grey.

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
Good Morning all!

I'm taking the opportunity to wear this recently acquired Stetson 25 Open Road today. I rather like the blue/grey felt.

smugshot6311109-L.jpg

Interesting just how much the colour changes in different light. Outside in diffused cloudy light it is very much light blue. In the office (nasty fluorescents) totally light grey.
Absolutely gorgeous hat~!

Is that the 7 1/8 Long Oval that recently sold on the 'Bay? Man, I agonized over that hat, watching since it's first listing, offer rejected that time, I nearly went after it guns blazing the second time.... if that's the one, glad I didn't bid you up!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone for the comments on the Open Road. I'd been looking out for a nice one for a while and was happy to grab this one. If I had spotted the one Alan was selling I would have have tried to get that one, but I'm very happy ending up with this rather unusual colour.

T Rick; yes, this is the LO one from eBay. I'd watched it before as well then just made the minimum bid this time around. I was a little surprised there were no other bids, even though the starting price was a little high.

B-Man - yes, the Mallory is a super hat. I was lucky to visit the Classifieds just after Douglas posted it.

T Rick

Practically Family
T Rick; yes, this is the LO one from eBay. I'd watched it before as well then just made the minimum bid this time around. I was a little surprised there were no other bids, even though the starting price was a little high.
Worth it though I'd say. Your second bid at closing probably ensured it would come home to you. I was tempted even to do the BIN (high as it was), but decided I didn't want to go that high. Figured it would in bidding anyway, I decided to pass (that plus the Long Oval, while I can wear them, it's not my regular size- My Stratoliner was a bargain as it wasn't listed as such, so I made an exception).

The color really really is great! Enjoy it, and post more pics of it when the mood strikes you.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
That's funny T Rick. The second bid was because I'd set a snipe and totally forgotten about it.

Same as you on the size, I don't usually need long oval, but this does fit quite well - helped by just a little felt in the sweatband at the back. I also got one of those little band blocks from Mr Fawcett that is the shape of my head. This has proven to be really useful for hats that just about fit, but need a slight shape adjustment. I will post some decent pictures when I get some time.

Oh, that brown Statoliner you got is a super looking hat. The felt looks similar to my Stetson 15 which I love!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
David looking good! The Open Road in the gray-blue color, as well as the model, really solidifies that as a magnificant hat. The hat, I imagine, would work with a TON of clothing options. I hope you enjoy the hat.

You have first hand experience with some great hats ( as per your postings) and I would be interested to hear your reflections comparing the different hats at some future date. It would be hard to choose what hat to wear if I was in your closet.

Thanks again for sharing your daily hat wearing. Best, Eric -

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Summer Sojourn, Part 4

Our Montecristis are ready for another day.

I leave Lydia and Ryan, still sleeping, and head out to take some photos in the early morning light.

Hat on a big stick.

Rhyolite and basalt formations are ubiquitous along the North Shore of Lake Superior.

I find the soft, early morning light especially delightful.

Lovely Evening Primrose.

Old wooden rowboat at the boathouse. Wetsuits are generally used for kayaking on the big lake due to the very cold water.

Heading back to the lodge to join Lydia and Ryan for breakfast.

Our table by the window is drenched in sunlight.

Agrimony by the shore.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Enjoying a few more moments at our table before making our way back towards Duluth.

A stop at the North Shore Commercial Fishing Museum in Tofte.

Neither cap nor jacket are old, but they are representative of what some fishermen wore along the North Shore in the heyday of the commercial fishery.

This behemoth 47lb. Lake Trout was caught by Myrtle Johnson "hand over hand" with a hook line in August of 1927!

An assortment of vintage gill-net floats. The oldest ones are made of carved cedar, with the later ones made of plastic.

A beautiful Mackinaw skiff.

Tough Men, Tough Boats!

Tough Hats, too!

Making our usual stop at the Beaver Bay Agate Shop. A favorite stop for travelers, and a fixture along the North Shore for nearly 70 years, it was originally owned by the Quinn family. Leo "Rocky" Quinn offered to sell the shop and adjoining museum to me, close to ten years ago now. It has been owned and run by fellow Lake Superior Agate collector Keith Bartels and his family since 2002.

Beautiful Thomsonite specimens, part of the impressive mineral collection in the small museum.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

It is very difficult now to find such high contrast, high quality Thomsonite specimens of this size.

A magnificent specimen still embedded in its basalt matrix.

Visiting my friends Bob Lynch and his son Dan at their shop in Two Harbors.

Bob and Dan inscribing a few copies of their new book, Agates Of Lake Superior. A labor of love, Bob And Dan have spent twenty years collecting and photographing the specimens, and undertaking exhaustive research for this definitive book on Lake Superior Agates. On the day of our visit they had just received the first shipment of the book from the publisher.

The subject of of our shared passion, the Lake Superior Agate. Large and striking examples like this one are affectionally named by collectors.

Gulls riding the wind blowing off the lake in Duluth Harbor.

This Wild Mink was hunting in amongst the big boulders of the harbor breakwater.

The arrival of the tall ship 'Lynx'.

The 'Lynx' sailed into Duluth Harbor to participate in the Duluth Music And Maritime Festival.

As the deck of the Aerial Lift Bridge rose to allow passage of the beautiful Privateer Clipper Schooner, we bid farewell to our beloved big lake, and hit the road again, on to our next destination.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I should take you up on that, Eric, and post more on the hats I have. I always enjoy reading your detailed reports, when I have a few minutes to relax.

There actually are not that many, I think about 15 in total including a couple of straws.

To be honest, I only keep hats that I'm going to wear so I've been seeking a few of late to keep the total about the same. I'm very new to this fascinating pastime and still learning - so much great information from your good self and many of the others who hang around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael