Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Friends

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There's a small but plucky group of Lounge members here in New York. We see each other often enough that I feel like I've made a few real friends.
One other friend, V_is_for_Victory, aka Marc Hermann, aka The Son I Never Had, who is actually no relation, I met in a couple of plays (set in the 40's of course, including Caine Mutiny Court Martial, last year), and he totally surpasses me as a vintage dude. Even his job, beat photographer for the Daily News, is vintage.
What surprises and sort of disappoints me, is how few of my swing dance friends are really into vintage.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Thanks to this place I now have one - lyburnum. She only lives up the road so it's perfect! I used to have another but she got ill and had to move back to devon to live with her dad sadly. She seems to be getting better so hopefully I will have her back in my life in a few months. It was really hard when i didn't have anybody to share stuff with.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
None. People do know that I am into this era, though. My co-workers know of my love for WW2 history and so does my family. But I don't have any friends that are into it.

anon`

One Too Many
Not really, no. Sure, sometimes I get out and see some of the local (or, as sometimes occurs, not-so-local Loungers), but I know no vintage or even vintage-inspired folks that I see on anything resembling a regular basis.

CharlesB

Suspended
My god man! Life is to be lived. What time we have on here is so fleeting that it should never be allowed to sit idle!
freebird said:
no, I don't. I don't get out much, maybe once every 6 months to visit friends in a nearby town.

freebird

Practically Family
CharlesB said:
My god man! Life is to be lived. What time we have on here is so fleeting that it should never be allowed to sit idle!
True. Such is life in a small town tho. I no longer am able to drive after dark, and the largest town with anything to do is about 40 miles away.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Sadly, no.
I don't see much of anyone since I've been raising my sons but my few friends aren't too retro with their style.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

lyburnum

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
Thanks to this place I now have one - lyburnum. She only lives up the road so it's perfect! I used to have another but she got ill and had to move back to devon to live with her dad sadly. She seems to be getting better so hopefully I will have her back in my life in a few months. It was really hard when i didn't have anybody to share stuff with.

The Fedora Lounge seems to have lifted my curse of never finding vintage friends - as I now have MissHannah to talk about vintage with AND go to indie clubs with! I think that's one in a million. I have noticed that it does seem to be difficult for vintage people to find friends with the same interest, as generally it's an individual interest when someone gets into vintage, rather than a whole friendship group interest. So I think forums like this are actually a great way to get to know people.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Well, most of my vintage friends live in PA. I met them through reenacting. BUt outside of reenacting, I don't meet anyone that is also into vintage the only exception being Visforvictory, I met Marc when we both lived Gettysburg,PA.

Samantha

Naama

Practically Family
I don't have any either... :( But my friends are all pretty much into fashion, and don't dress 'usual' (what ever that means) that helps :)

Naama

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
Sure don't though I really wish I did. Everyone around me dresses like everyone else. *yucky* Fashion pod people as I lovingly call them.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My boyfriend is into vintage, as is my best friend, but she likes the 70's stuff. She appreciates the 30's-50's though, so she's fun to go vintage shopping with.

My boyfriend's group of friends, who I'm also good friends with, are rockabilly/psychobilly kids, so though they aren't really into real vintage, they like pin-ups and the whole aesthetic of vintage.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You poor poor people...

Yes, literally dozens of them! And I know about a hundred or so more, that are not close friends. We have a huge community of vintage people out here in the Bay Area. All kinds, from Renaissance to Rockabilly.

Here's some of us...

l_d9d9591df1c06bdaa4213e8138edecae.jpg

l_0394039ef5d3a1a0f64373ffc02bcc5c.jpg

l_b3e5a637cc95b93bd806e7bcf7680b9f.jpg

l_8213c3a8600d3bb9cf06cd8144532bce.jpg

l_004c5eb112dd83a53a5b35de1e7b3377.jpg

So come visit me! I'll introduce you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe