Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

ideaguy

One Too Many
Michael-
you really don't want that hat...
you reaally don't want thaatt hattt..
you are feeling drowsy, and really don't want that hat...
your eyes are getting heavy, can't keep them open,
must send hat to ideaguy...:rolleyes:

John Galt

Vendor
Joao, I think this is the first "Fort Worth" I've seen without the characteristic Fort Worth mule kicks fire and aft. Very nice hat...

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Here are the mule kicks on this Resistol.
brw10.jpg

brw11.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
Thief hits Retro Rosie's in Bradenton, FL

Such a good deal, I consider it a steal. It was during an eldercare visit to my parents' assisted living facility in Port Charlotte. I had to take my Brother-In-Law to the Tampa airport and stopped off the interstate in Bradenton to buy myself some lunch on the way back to Punta Gorda, and just happened to see this vintage/antique store (and three other antique stores on both sides of the river in the vicinity). Entirely serendipitous, of course. ;)

Picked up this dark green Resistol Melorol, an orange toque for my Granddaughter (turns 7 next month) in San Diego, and a Stratoliner box. Both of the hats were 25% off, so the prices were $24, $20, & $25 for the box, and some tax. Add $25 at the UPS store to have it all shipped to Maryville, about $100 invested in this caper.

None of the 3 looked so good when I picked them a week ago, fun to have an opportunity to play with some hats again. I need to visit Buckaroo badly!

Here are some details on the Melorol (probably a San Ant variant) -

It is an Extra Long Oval, my first ELO and first Melorol.

On the toque -

Does that read - Jacome ? I can make out a made in Italy, but am not clear on the manufacturer.

Retro Rosie's had a DEEP inventory of vintage clothing, including head gear, anyone in the vicinity should go there and steal more at their prices.

Landman

One Too Many
Great looking Resistol John!

Lounge member Caramel Smoothie can probably help you identify the lady's hat. That one looks like something she might be familiar with. May be a little new for her though. She mainly collects 20's era lady's hats.

barrowjh

One Too Many
More pics of the Resistol Melorol picked from Retro Rosie's - 2 3/4 brim -

compared to a stratoliner (next to my face) -

In direct sun this morning -

I think someone (KC Capellor?) already stated that the melorol felt is finely pounced - as in very fine grit sandpaper pounced, almost paper-thin. I don't like it. Maybe it is because this one apparently does not have any beaver content, not sure. It does not have that 'plush' feel.

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
Landman, I know the accepted wisdom here is that melorol meant 'mellow roll' sweatband, and, I note that sweatbands marked melorol are different from other Resistol sweatbands, but I also note that there is a consistent mention of comments like 'very densely felted' 'finely pounced' and similar remarks about other melorols, so I am not buying the conventional wisdom. I think melorol meant more than just a different sweatband. I'm thinking it was intended as a lightweight line, both in thinner felt and a thinner sweatband. I don't think the melorols were cheaper; mine appears to be constructed as well as any Resistol I own.

Landman

One Too Many
John, that is interesting. I just always assumed it was referring to the sweatband. I'll have to get out my older Resistols and take a closer look. I'm pretty sure they all have "Self Conforming" on the sweatband but I'm not sure about "Melorol".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe