Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

Landman

One Too Many
Atticus, great hat. I think you're right about the age. Looks like 70's to me too. What is stamped on the front of the sweatband?

I can see where a man in a hat like that would get a lot of respect around a courthouse. I was wearing a suit and my Resistol San Antonio at the courthouse here and ran into an old friend from high school. He jokingly asked if I had joined the Sheriff's Department :)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
What is stamped on the front of the sweatband?

Picture030-1-1.jpg

AF

ideaguy

One Too Many
I'm in the same boat , sizewise; anybody out there with a nice felt hat in the 3/8L/O-1/2 range
would raise some interest here-and love Resistols; have a couple of 25's, looking for more...

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thought I'd put my Black Resistol Stagecoach conversion into the mix...being a poor guy whose pockets are too deep for my arms to reach the change at the bottom, I reblocked this to a straight sided crown using a paint can and bubble wrap!

Black_Resistol_Stagecoach.jpg

Black_Hat_02.jpg

Black_Hat_03.jpg

Last edited:

ingineer

One Too Many
Terry MacGyver Jones;
A paint can?
Can you explain?
The hat looks great w/o the taper.
And your bow work keeps getting better and better
Richard

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Terry MacGyver Jones;
A paint can?
Can you explain?
The hat looks great w/o the taper.
And your bow work keeps getting better and better
Richard

Ha! Thanks buddy. As a lot of the Stagecoaches were, the crown was pretty tapered on this one. I wanted a straight sided crown, but having no block, I used a paint can for that purpose. I layered bubble wrap over the can to fill the void inside the hat. It came out really well.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone here have an idea as to the sequence/time periods when the various Resistol Open Road clones (San Antonio, Dalworth, Waco, Wide Country, etc.) were produced? I have a Resistol San Antonio which is clearly marked as such, but I also have a pristine Resistol Open Road clone that I am trying to identify. The latter hat does not have a wind trolley like my San Antonio. Any help would be much appreciated.

John Galt

Vendor
Can't help with timing, but the Wide Country was another Resistol OR clone I've seen. Usually, with a Texas imprinted liner & sweat.

Landman

One Too Many
Rick

I can't help you with the timing but I always thought the city names were just a marketing ploy and the hats were probably made around the same time but sent to different areas. That is just a guess on my part.

I also thought the Resistol hats were named for Texas cities. However, I bought a Resistol Deming from a fellow Lounger a few years ago. The only city named Deming I'm aware of is Deming, New Mexico.

Be careful using the lack of a wind trolley to help date a hat. The wind trolley could have been cut off of your hat. I have seen quite a few hats where the wind trolley was cut. Usually you can still see a remnant of it under the bow.

Landman

One Too Many
Can't help with timing, but the Wide Country was another Resistol OR clone I've seen. Usually, with a Texas imprinted liner & sweat.

My LBJ hat is a 3X Beaver Wide Country. It has a special liner too with an outline of Texas and LBJ Ranch in his own handwriting. These are the only Resistols I can remember seeing with an outline of Texas imprinted on the liner.

LBJ_Resistol_206_zps0e813493.jpg

LBJ_Resistol_208_zps5cf4ae69.jpg

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Mike, I am green with envy of your hat! Beautiful.

My unidentified Resistol has a nicer quality of leather sweatband that my San Antonio, which has a darker colored leather sweatband which is not as supple as this hat:

5dc2dafbdc39e6c70ae8edc09623dd1a_zps06bf86e8.jpg

8c34efce21d3ec09f963c682bb1f83cd_zps27d565a4.jpg

7eabb534071e2ec979a7f24a20a9ee86_zpsb2e53f08.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks Rick. Your hat in the photos above looks fantastic. I really like that type of Resistol liner. They feel and look like a better quality of material than the Stetson liners of the same era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe