Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

howardeye

Practically Family
Hello. I just joined the forum today. Is this common for the Borsos? I have one that is labeled 7 1/4 - 58 and it is really a size 7 1/8. It is a little tight but I wear it anyway since it looks so good.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Welcome howardeye, it's generally true that new borsys run small. My local borsy dealer told me that while I tried them on and I took home a 59 vs my usual 58. My vintage borsy is a 7 1/8 and with a wee stretch fit my 7 1/4 head perfectly so just the opposite there.

Mystic

Practically Family
creamborsalino1.jpg

creamborsalino2.jpg

creamborsalino3.jpg

creamborsalino4.jpg

Would this hat be the same time frame as Mike's late 40's early 50's ?

If it has a size tag under the sweat, what does it look like?

Is there something different about this hat that it has a gold logo and Mile's has a green logo?

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
"Would this hat be the same time frame as Mike's late 40's early 50's ?"

Yep, in fact it's the same hat, the style or model is "Gorasgu" The color is "Lino". I'd say your getting the hang of it Mystic.

"Is there something different about this hat that it has a gold logo and Mile's has a green logo?"

Nope, different color hat, different color logo/liner or just what was laying next to the worker who sew it in. Or maybe there was a different color logo each year, nobody knows for sure. At it's peak, Borsalino was producing 2 million hats a year so the chances of mixing materials/inventory on hand in the assembly of a hat are high and that's also why precise dating is so speculative.

Last edited:
I found that vintage Point size (vintage Euro models will only have the Point size) conversion runs one size small for Borsalino. A Borsalino 5 1/2 Point is a US 7 1/8 or Euro 57cm vs. 7 1/4 or 58cm. They usually stretch some by wear so not that big of a problem.

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
"Would this hat be the same time frame as Mike's late 40's early 50's ?"

Yep, in fact it's the same hat, the style or model is "Gorasgu" The color is "Lino". I'd say your getting the hang of it Mystic.

"Is there something different about this hat that it has a gold logo and Mile's has a green logo?"

Nope, different color hat, different color logo/liner or just what was laying next to the worker who sew it in. Or maybe there was a different color logo each year, nobody knows for sure. At it's peak, Borsalino was producing 2 million hats a year so the chances of mixing materials/inventory on hand in the assembly of a hat are high and that's also why precise dating is so speculative.

Thanks Mike, In looking at the different color logos I had in mind the Lee hat with their Blue label, gold label, black label and so on.

I am looking at a Borso now that has the same logo but in brown. It's not in hand so I can't look at the label under the liner or get a good look at the sweat for that corrugated piece.

Yes it's real but just a modern model. The old Borsalino factory closed in the early 1980s and the family sold the company. Your hat is from after that time period.

howardeye

Practically Family
Thank you. I gave $59 for it plus shipping. Don't look like it was ever worn. I do not have any wide brim fedoras and I have noticed that is all I see on the forum. My wife says I look like a dork in my 1 1/2 in brim hats and my vintage glasses but I like them. This is what I wear most of the time. A Stetson 3X Beaver Toronado and a Dobbs Twenty with Guilded Edge. Thanks for the info.

Mystic

Practically Family
Thank you. I gave $59 for it plus shipping. Don't look like it was ever worn. I do not have any wide brim fedoras and I have noticed that is all I see on the forum. My wife says I look like a dork in my 1 1/2 in brim hats and my vintage glasses but I like them. This is what I wear most of the time. A Stetson 3X Beaver Toronado and a Dobbs Twenty with Guilded Edge. Thanks for the info.

Welcome Howardeye,

I wouldn't put to much stock in the "Dork" comment....

Unless you have an unusually large number of Dorks attempting to befriend you when you wear this hat and glasses. :)

My experience was what I liked and what I thought was more suited for me when I first started wearing fedoras changed with more knowledge and exposure to fedoras on the Lounge.
The more I looked at different hats on the Lounge the more I refined what I liked and wanted to wear.

All the photos on the Lounge have been very helpful to me because there is not a hat shop anywhere within a reasonable traveling distance for me to see and become familiar with different styles, shapes and hats.
Hence, all the dreaded questions I always ask.

Enjoy the ride....it's your head.... :yo:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Howardeye:cool:
Nope not a Dork !
i wear those same glasses & a ocasional Stingy (yours is very nice & high quality)
& I would not dare mess with you looking sharp like that....
never got called a Dork.....well my wife does call me other things...

Oh Yea & let me add this. your wife will grab your arm tight when your strolling around & looking sharp in that stingy....
The Ladies will take notice & do double takes , just looking quickly... Im just saying
Welcome Brother !:cool:

Last edited:

howardeye

Practically Family
Thanks to everyone. I don't mine the dork thing. If I am wearing whatever everyone else is wearing I would look like them. One thing is for sure and that is I like what I see and read on the Lounge. I will be visiting The Blacksheep Hat Works for a wide brim beaver new look. I am a leather clad preacher who rides a Harley with high handlebars and am looking forward to a new look. The jewelry I make comes from animals mostly extinct made of mammoth ivory, teeth and claws so I wear animal products as hatbands to go with my products at shows. These are my current wide brim hats not counting the Borsalino with only a 2 1/8 brim. The rattlesnake band came from a guy on Etsy. The other hats are Barmah Kangaroo skin and Bull Skin. My Pigskin is not pictured.

Croc2.jpg

I am ready for a new look!

I don't think there's anything significantly different between my hat and mikespens as regards date. Note that mine has no sweatband front corrugation, and it has a different size label, though I don't have a pic of it. I'll try to get one.

bk

Would this hat be the same time frame as Mike's late 40's early 50's ?

If it has a size tag under the sweat, what does it look like?

Is there something different about this hat that it has a gold logo and Mile's has a green logo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82