Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Mystic

Practically Family
Thanks for the input Bond and -30-

Do you think there is as much difference in Borsalino quality of felt and craftsmanship as some of the other long time brand names newer vs vintage hats?

Such as Stetson or Dobbs.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own vintage Borsalinos and new Borsalinos, vintage Stetsons and more recent ones. On Borsalino vintage felt, I would say that it's nice, and perhaps tighter and more luxurious than the new Borsalinos. On Stetsons, less so, except for a nice 7x that I bought. It's probably safe to say that all modern hat makers use less material, or lighter material, in their new hats for cost reasons. Seems like to stay in business, you have to cut back on felt. But the differences between vintage and new are not night and day. Old Borsalinos are more luxurious in felt, but that's just one consideration. What about the style of the hat? I'm not overly concerned about how luxurious a hat is, and if I am, I can opt for a custom new hat. I don't let felt quality drive what I buy, I let interesting and compatible styles for me personally dictate it.

A question for Borsalino owners.

How does a new, last 5 years, Borsalino compare in quality and felt to a Borsalino from the 60's, 50's, 40's ?

They will have very different qualities, the importance of which will vary from person to person. This thread and many others on the Lounge will guide you through the differences much better than a handful of short summary comments. Enjoy the research!

bond

I think Dobbs quality is often overlooked. And I have to honestly say that some of the finest felts and craftsmanship has been on 1940s vintage Dobbs hats.
Regarding vintage in general in my opinion I think workmanship and materials we're superior then to anything made today,this includes color of felt that patinas over the years and just that un characteristic quality that cannot be defined, I think the French have a word or phrase for that which describes this trait well.

Mystic

Practically Family
They will have very different qualities, the importance of which will vary from person to person. This thread and many others on the Lounge will guide you through the differences much better than a handful of short summary comments. Enjoy the research!

That may be true, Alan

But, the differing opinions, views and input from others, I think, still has value.

Given the praise that Borsalino hats receive. My interest was in the views of owners of newer and older Borsalino hats of the degree of decline (if any) in craftsmanship of Borsalino hats.

Some additional input to an ongoing thread.

I have 2 vintage Alessandrias & 1 modern that I bought new in the mid-1980s from Peter Bros of Ft Worth.
The felt, ribbons, sweat, liner & craftsmanship of the vintage ones are in a different realm than the modern one.
This modern one is post old factory move & shows mass production/cost saving effects. IMHO

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Mystic, you will find all the information you're looking for by reading this thread and viewing the images in connection with the information posted with them. There's no shortcut to acquiring information of this kind. Handling felts is not only helpful but perhaps a necessity to be able to assess this information. There's a general consensus that Borsalino was able to produce high quality felts until 1984 when the take-over took place, but that piece of information alone doesn't say very much. One might say that the decline in quality came slower than in U.S. brands, but that's not very helpful either, I guess.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Finally found myself a vintage borsy with a corrugated sweatband via a trade with Bob at BSHW. Brim is 2 7/8 mode edge and the ribbon 1 7/8. Crown is from 4 1/2 to 4 as creased. Hard to describe rich brown color with greenish tones in natural light. Amazing light felt that shapes like clay. As new condition. Could not be happier!

It reads "Bernina" and "Gorasgu"
IMG_0279.jpg

Corrugation is still a fresh green color
IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

Came with a feather but Bob replaced it with a nicer one
IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks carouselvic, Alan, splinter, Scott, JonnyO and Randall. Ever since I read this thread front to back I've been inspired by the fine borsys posted here and wanted one with the spiffy corrugated sweatband. I was probably looking too hard and then this one just fell into my lap. I'll probably take this one with me :)

tropicalbob

Hi, everyone,
I've been following this thread for some time now and am seriously considering taking the Borsalino plunge. As I have a large head (62 cms.) and am therefore despairing of ever finding anything appealing in the vintage market, I've been looking at the Borsalino Bellagio and the Como. What do you folks think of these styles and how would you compare or contrast them? Thanks in advance and any pics would be appreciated.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Welcome tbob. If you read around a bit you'll find that a vintage hat is superior in quality to a modern hat, especially the felt. I own a modern borsy and would say it's superior to most other modern hats but for about same cost you could get a custom hat of superior quality, styled how you like, and most importantly fit right. New borso's are over priced in my opinion. A lot of guys here like the Akubra when it comes to modern hats. You will see vintage borsys come up in your size and often for a lot less than a new one. It does take patience though but it will be worth it and much more satisfying. Good luck though and I'm sure what ever you choose it will be satisfying as long as you like it.

tropicalbob

Thanks, Mike. What surprises me, though, is that even here on the Lounge it's not that easy to find photos of particular styles on actual heads. For instance, there are only a couple of pictures of the Como and the Bellagio, which makes it difficult to guage the differences between them. What I wouldn't give for a decent hat shop in this neck of the woods. Anyway, thanks again for the advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82