Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Hi TropicalBob... I can't compare the two models for you, but I can share some thoughts on the Como. Overall, it's a nice modern hat that shares some characteristics of Borsalino hats from the era before the mid 1980s factory move. The felt is soft and pleasing, bordering on mushy. It does hold a crease well and the 5 1/2" open crown gives you some room for styling the crease to your taste. The brim is raw, with a fun overcast stitch at the edge that recalls the elegant brim treatments that appear in Borsalino hats of the 1950s. The profile of the hat would be at home during this mid century period as well. The interior finishing is modern... acetate liner with basic one color foil imprint. The sweatband is leather, I guess, though it could easily be vinyl for the slick finish. It is sewn into the hat without reeding, which should make it flexible and comfortable... but the stitching at the edge of the sweat has a sharpness that I can feel at my forehead. I wound up burnishing this area for a while to make it a little softer. That helped.

I have bought two Borsalino hats new and quite a large number vintage. Some of the vintage purchase were unworn and arrived in as new condition. The cost of the new Como ranks it among the most expensive. I haven't sold it, but had I bought the vintage hats first, I probably would have passed.

hope that is helpful!

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Ht24, not sure if the color of the liner is a reliable way to date a borsy but I would guess black is likely modern. Just guessing. Not sure about modern resale value but I would personally value a pre-1986 hat over anything later.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Ok here are a few pics maybe this will help date it
673db917607bcd27ad4ef724a285642b.jpg
ae626f2c0543f8aeb0ec85bede3ab760.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Ht24, take some time to read this thread and you'll see the info you need to date your hat. The pixs you posted won't help much although the thin black sweat suggests a newer hat. Might save some time going backwards to find your answer.

ideaguy

One Too Many
and it takes time...and it's time for me to BUY A KILLER BORSALINO!! 7 3/8 L/O is preferred-Vintage definitely-something that's a cross
between a Country/City hat; 1" ribbon-straight lines-like the raw edge; I'm selling quite a few of my hats that simply aren't getting worn,
and will invest in the Borsa that I've been craving-after having sold lots of 'em, now I want one to KEEP. So, if anyone is in a selling mood-
please contact me and make a man happy!

Mystic

Practically Family
Finally found myself a vintage borsy with a corrugated sweatband via a trade with Bob at BSHW. Brim is 2 7/8 mode edge and the ribbon 1 7/8. Crown is from 4 1/2 to 4 as creased. Hard to describe rich brown color with greenish tones in natural light. Amazing light felt that shapes like clay. As new condition. Could not be happier!

It reads "Bernina" and "Gorasgu"
IMG_0279.jpg

Mike, I bet that is a really nice color in person.
When you say "vintage" here, what time frame would you be referring to?
Do you know if that type of size tag (frayed) helps to place a time frame?

I have seen several of these 'frayed' tags but, it's still confusing to me about any time frame.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Steve, does have a Cav edge and agree with your age guess.

Mystic, not sure the size tag is a reliable indicator of age although it can be with Stetsons. Read through this thread and you'll see the construction methods and some of the tags are more reliable dating tools. For example on mine in the pix above the reorder tag has "Borsalino" written on the left edge and it's believed this is a pre 1952 tag, after 52 the tag is blank there.

Mystic

Practically Family
Thanks Steve, does have a Cav edge and agree with your age guess.

Mystic, not sure the size tag is a reliable indicator of age although it can be with Stetsons. Read through this thread and you'll see the construction methods and some of the tags are more reliable dating tools. For example on mine in the pix above the reorder tag has "Borsalino" written on the left edge and it's believed this is a pre 1952 tag, after 52 the tag is blank there.

Thanks Mike,

Reading through these threads can sometimes add to my confusion. it seems my research and comprehension skills are not what they used to be.
I have also been looking for a reference to the different color Borsalino logos as to whether it indicates levels of quality or something else or just a Borsalino option.

I would like to own one someday. But, right now I don't know what I would be buying. This brand is a little to high priced for me to experiment with ebay buys as I did with some other brands.
I'm still in the stupid question stage. :confused:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Mystic, there are no stupid questions but most have already been answered in this thread. My advice, if you like the borsy, it's the right one for you. The current borsys are almost always more expensive than a vintage one but the vintage ones are much better quality. As a GENERAL rule of thumb determining a vintage borsy, look for a brown sweatband that is 2" wide, newer ones are thinner and usually black. Also look for the corrugated sweatband, many had them and many didn't but the new ones definitely don't. Finally, if the sweatband is unreeded, it's likely a vintage hat but many are reeded too. Good luck and be patient. I tried hard for a while but couldn't find the right one, then one fell into my lap.

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
Mystic, there are no stupid questions but most have already been answered in this thread. My advice, if you like the borsy, it's the right one for you. The current borsys are almost always more expensive than a vintage one but the vintage ones are much better quality. As a GENERAL rule of thumb determining a vintage borsy, look for a brown sweatband that is 2" wide, newer ones are thinner and usually black. Also look for the corrugated sweatband, many had them and many didn't but the new ones definitely don't. Finally, if the sweatband is unreeded, it's likely a vintage hat but many are reeded too. Good luck and be patient. I tried hard for a while but couldn't find the right one, then one fell into my lap.

I did finally find an old Lounge thread about Borso's that had some more helpful info in it.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?3142-Dating-borsalino-liner-logos

Using the photos of your hat you posted and some of these clues is making this a little clearer. At least I think I know how to get close to the time period I have in mind.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful Baron, you've got one of those envious little heads if that thing fits :) Looks mint. Seems to be a lot of the Gorasgu's popping up here lately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82