Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

EggHead

Practically Family
I thought I could make it look like an Italian Raiders Fedora, but the crown wasn't full enough.

So here it is:
Color: medium-light brown, OC 6", brim 2 3/4", Cavanagh edge

Inside found a couple of paper labels, one said:

772 45693
Averia Assab - Gorasqu (I think that's what it says)

The other: $20

I don't know the year, but thinking around 1950?

Borso head shot
e7gcgm.jpg

head sideshot
e3wj4.jpg

In the vintage spirit, I used a vintage Pentax lens for the below
SMC 50/2 Manual

Note: focusing manually is a $$@^#^! So typically I stick with DA pancake lenses.

350nd3r.jpg

35mnxbk.jpg

2d2ivy0.jpg

25rnxpy.jpg

jhvqq8.jpg

el8kdx.jpg

..and as M. Kahn has exclaimed - It's tvue, it's tvue! I can say that what is said about vintage Borsalinos is true - felt soft and malleable, conforms to shape quickly, hat is light and comfortable.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Nice one, Egghead.

It's Gorasgu, by the way. That's the model name - one of those fantasy names that Borsalino came up with.

1950s is probably right, provided the paper sticker behind the sweat doesn't have the Borsalino logo on it (that would put it pre-1952 or thereabouts).

Purplesage

One Too Many
I need help dating this Borsalino. I recently purchased it at a very reasonable price. It arrived with the wind trolley cord being damaged but I can live with that for what I paid for it. Other than a couple of very insignificant moth nibs the felt is in very good shape. The inside liner is a bit faded or washed out looking. The stitching on the sweatband is coming loose in a couple of places and the leather is showing it's age. The hat has a 5 1/4" crown with center dent, 1 3/4" overwelt brim. I'm guessing the hat is from at least the 40s or older. I am curious about the short brim. I actually don't mind it because it looks good with the high crown.

photo70_zps25de418f.jpg

photo74_zpsc546f87b.jpg

photo76_zpsa264bcc5.jpg

photo72_zps6848e254.jpg

photo97_zps37652925.jpg

photo103_zps7e36d918.jpg

photo99_zpsc757dce4.jpg

photo101_zpsa44c33d0.jpg

photo78_zps1e940775.jpg

photo80_zps216ef5d2.jpg

Last edited:

Purplesage

One Too Many
Here are a few more photos showing the underside of the brim, sweatband and liner. I figure there are enough photos for the experts to come to some conclusions.

photo82_zpsad283b60.jpg

photo84_zps5bc4c897.jpg

photo91_zps2d7a3e99.jpg

photo89_zpscde613b4.jpg

photo108_zpsd8dbd56f.jpg

photo106_zps2b9d736e.jpg

photo109_zps3549cd0c.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Purplesage, if you look up the last four pages or so, there's several references to the Borsalino size sticker and lots of images of the old stickers.

The old stickers:
Pre-1952 or thereabouts: With Borsalino logo on the left
ca. 1952 to ca. 1960 or thereabouts: Same one without the logo

The more recent stickers:
1960s onward: changing fonts and paper used for the sticker.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Here is a photo of the paper tag. I had to be careful pulling the sweatband back because I didn't want to pop any threads. There is no Borso logo. It's kind of hard to read. I have a couple of nice Diamantes with 1 3/4" brims but this hat looks much older. The sweatband is pretty thick as well. When do you think this hat was made if it could be narrowed down to a decade anyway?

photo110_zps58869e21.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Here is a photo of the paper tag. I had to be careful pulling the sweatband back because I didn't want to pop any threads. There is no Borso logo. It's kind of hard to read. I have a couple of nice Diamantes with 1 3/4" brims but this hat looks much older. The sweatband is pretty thick as well. When do you think this hat was made if it could be narrowed down to a decade anyway?

It's the sticker that was used from sometime in the early/mid fifties throughout that decade, and possibly up to the early sixties. So, mid to late fifties most likely.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Borsalino 1950s Ecosca - Palladio c. nero (European market) Qualità Extra Extra Superiore

This is going to be a favorite of mine. Bobbi, I'll post a picture of humble self wearing it when I get the chance (won't be long). Thank you again!

When this one arrived, the brim width was rather uneven and the edge was, although cut very smoothly, not sanded down. A trimming job but without sanding afterwards, I suppose. I had to even out the brim anyway (left/ right side uneven etc), so I reduced it slightly to an even 2 3/8" measured from above. The brim is now perfectly even all around.

After trimming:

P1090423.jpg

P1090426.jpg

P1090431.jpg

P1090433.jpg

P1090435.jpg

P1090445.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Nic i was curious how much you trimmed off ?

Well, the brim was 2.5" in front, 2 3/4+" at the back, 2 5/8" at the left side and 2 3/4" at the right side, measured from above. It's not unusual that the back is intentionally wider than the front (depending on flanging), but the 1/4+" difference was a bit too much.
I did a first trim down to 2.5", but due to the flanging it looked much wider than that; I then proceeded to cut it down to a 2 3/8". This width works best for me; depending on flanging a 2.5" or 2 5/8" is fine, too.
Btw, the trimmed, un-sanded brim edge looked exactly like the "original" edge. [huh] Needless to say that sanding the edge gave it a much better appearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82