Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Hat Brigade

MarkD

One of the Regulars
4687591467_d600ec0050_b.jpg

Ultra Black and even has a funeral band to cover the ribbon.
Has a dark brown sweatband, but I do have a 1930's Mossant with a black sweatband which has dark brown felt.[huh]

What is a funeral band?

Mulceber

Practically Family
New to me:

Another pretty old, velour-finished hat, probably from the late 20's or early 30's. I'm not really sure about the name of the manufacturer, but I'll just call it the G.J.M.

Crown (creased): 4 7/8"
Brim: 2 3/8"
Ribbon: 2"

Darn Mario, I'm gonna have to buy a new keyboard now - your hat is making me drool! -M

One Too Many
With my lovely Yohali going school, all black with a mexican fur felt ,
2328586700106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

Just for picture another black mexican fedora,
2794599470106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

A black Resistol little brim,
2095236880106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

One of my favourites, Golden Coach by Dobbs,
2621360850106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I have done two cowboy hat conversions using a brown Justin XX an black Justin XXX wool felt hats that I picked up new at Tractor supply. My opinion is that the black looks, fits and feels much better than the brown one so I am wondering if it would be a "fashion no no" to wear it with my typical dress (A-2, khakis, dress shirt and brown shoes)?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Black fedoras are a bit too severe for me. When I had facial hair, I was more than once mistaken for a more religious fellow than I am, and that was while wearing other-than-black fedoras.

Black westerns, otoh, I do like. Here are two of my favorites.

1120002254a.jpg

portrait.jpg

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Here is my favorite black 'un (purchased from a board member).
It's a Solferino long hair.

solferino_blk_longhair_01.jpg

I have a couple other blacks ones, too. But this is my fav.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Scotty, I have to admit to liking the faded, dusty appearance on a black western hat (well any color for that matter). Somehow, it does not come off quite as severe or pretentious as otherwise, but comes across as a hat that has experienced the cowboy lifestyle and adventure. How long have you had that particular hat? Which brand and model is it?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Scotty, I have to admit to liking the faded, dusty appearance on a black western hat (well any color for that matter). Somehow, it does not come off quite as severe or pretentious as otherwise, but comes across as a hat that has experienced the cowboy lifestyle and adventure. How long have you had that particular hat? Which brand and model is it?

All it says inside is Renegade, and on the sweat XX Fur Blend. Its very stiff.

I never seem to remember how long Ive had most things unless theres an important or stated date involved (like an automobile or an anniversary). I would estimate at least 10 years.

The hat came with a light dusting on and above the grosgrain ribbon. The rest has been added naturally with wear over the passage of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld