Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Hat Brigade

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Chat-Con.jpg

chat-conclose1.jpg

Stetson Chatham, chopped, bound, and re-ribboned. And no, I wasn't trying to look grim in the photo. I was at the doctor's office and was in a bit of pain!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
With that liner and that black sweatband, I can't see it being anywhere past the early '40s.

Black sweatbands are more commonly associated with the '60s, but in that time period they were narrow and generally textured. That dobbs has an unreeded wide sweatband with the widely spaced, deeply embossed top edge associated with pre '40s hats. You generally don't see the blind embossed logo beyond that point either. The liner with the store name printed on it also says '30s to me.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
Black sweatbands are more commonly associated with the '60s, but in that time period they were narrow and generally textured. That dobbs has an unreeded wide sweatband with the widely spaced, deeply embossed top edge associated with pre '40s hats. You generally don't see the blind embossed logo beyond that point either. The liner with the store name printed on it also says '30s to me.

I've definitely never before seen a Dobbs or any other US-made hat from that time period with a black sweat. I guess there is a first time for everything. The one thing that really made me wonder about the age is the fact that the sweatband is unreeded.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Here's my Very Stingy 1960's Dunlap. I call this one my "mini whippet" but now that Ive started getting into larger brims, I really never wear this one anymore.

DSC03239.jpg

DSC03241.jpg

DSC03247.jpg

DSC03250.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
With that liner and that black sweatband, I can't see it being anywhere past the early '40s.

Hate to disagree with you, D-man, as I have nothing but the utmost respect for you!:)

However...The blind embossed logo lasted throughout the '40s. By the early '50s it was stamped in gold, and was replaced by the gold coach logo around '54.

The tags inside Steve's hat were in use by Hat Corporation of America during the '40s.

At least until the late-'30s, Dobbs used their older-style tags, as seen here:
Tags.jpg

They changed to the more modern tag in the '50s sometime, but I realized I don't have a photo of one, even though I've got many hats with them!

The sweatband seam is stitched, and by the late'-30 they were still taped.

That particular liner appears to have been used only on hats branded for the stores, an economical way to create a customized liner in small quantities.

Brad

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I stand corrected. As the dobbs expert, I certainly believe you on it.

The sweatband top embossing is really what threw me.

SteveAS

Practically Family
Mario said:
With the black sweat and the liner it's more likely from the mid/late 60's. Let the experts have a word here.

Still: looks like a very nice hat! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks for the compliment.

Actually, I should have given credit in the first place, but Brad Bowers estimated its age as 1940s previously. That was my main basis for thinking it was from the 1940s.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Now that's what I like about this place. I really learn somethin new all the time (now if I could only remember...:rolleyes:). I've read about the pre-60's use of black sweatbands but have never before seen one in person. I've come across a few gray sweats in older (20's and 30's) hats, but never any blacks. Thanks for clarifying. :)

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
My Akubra Sydney (AKA "Fedora") is technically charcoal in color, but I think that's close enough to true black to qualify.

Though most here are familiar with this hat, here's a pic and description: http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=92.

Though I now wear this lid the least of my fur felt fedoras, it was the hat that re-started my lifelong love affair with them, and the one that turned me on to Fedora Lounge.

And that's a good thing.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
here's my entry, a new Work of Art that arrived a couple of weeks ago, this hat gets more compliments than anything else I own.

VSBasicblack5-24-2010profile5.jpg

The 3 arrows on the ribbon seem especially popular, and here's the old Biltmore that inspired the riibon

Biltmorebw7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe