Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Sheeplady, I was getting knots in my stomach reading you describe your in-laws' experience with an architect as that is exactly what we went through with our first one. But like you, it is our money and we stood up and said enough, even though it was hard and cost us money and time. It was an incredibly painful and emotionally draining experience.

Big Man and dh66, thank you.

Stearman, couldn't agree more, it seems like it is one of those examples of where we had a solution- picture railing - to a problem and for some reason, have moved away from it to something worse - holes in the walls.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sheeplady, I was getting knots in my stomach reading you describe your in-laws' experience with an architect as that is exactly what we went through with our first one. But like you, it is our money and we stood up and said enough, even though it was hard and cost us money and time. It was an incredibly painful and emotionally draining experience.

Thankfully you walked away. I tried to convince my in-laws to do the same and even offered to help draft the "breaking up" email. But they ended up defending the guy as he was "one of the best in the business" and "was the architect and knew better than them." Well, then... if you're buying what he's selling... I can't help you.

It almost at the time seemed like they had Stockholm Syndrome. (Not making light of that, but heaven forbid they get rid of their self-paid bully.)

Thankfully you walked away. I tried to convince my in-laws to do the same and even offered to help draft the "breaking up" email. But they ended up defending the guy as he was "one of the best in the business" and "was the architect and knew better than them." Well, then... if you're buying what he's selling... I can't help you.

It almost at the time seemed like they had Stockholm Syndrome. (Not making light of that, but heaven forbid they get rid of their self-paid bully.)

I absolutely understand this because they have the professional experience and - as you noted - language where they can make you feel as if you are being stupid when you don't agree with them. Fortunately, because I work very hard for the money he was wasting and saw how unhappy he was making my girlfriend, I started to get angry and started to feel cheated - that was it for me. But I definitely went away from several meetings questioning myself - what do I really know about architecture, this guy has a great reputation, etc., etc., so I understand what happened to your in-laws. I do wish they had taken your advice as now that we have a better architect, we feel so much better about the project. It wasn't until I fired him that I realized how much stress I had over it.

...and brown is not a color. :p

I would not call that "screaming", I'd call it "accentuating special features" .
You have a lovely home. :yo:

As I've started above.. let me finish: Brown is something that comes "on the other end" when you're done digesting. :pound:

Hey, what happened? Did you get all your furniture?

Panadora

Practically Family
... My girlfriend has been doing a lot of homework and we are patient people, so we plan for the furnishing to be a thoughtful, multi-year effort, after we get the few must-have-to-function pieces.

But we do plan to use period pieces or, where absolutely necessary, some very well-done reproductions.
What style are going for?

What style are going for?

Viena Secession / Early Deco - the two main influences that were in play at the time and can be seen in the building's architecture. We are not trying to build a museum, but to echo the period and to have it feel like a step back in time, but again, not like a museum.

We will have less furniture, less decorative elements and less window treatments than true period called for as our tastes are for simpler / less busy than the decor of the time. But while we will have less, what we have, we hope, will be period appropriate but feel less "heavy" than some of the pictures we've seen of NYC apartments of that time.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I may have to keep the Queen Anne! I was pulling up linoleum in the Turret room, whoever put it down was the Staple King. My DNA is all over the house now! About bled out tonight! Tore my hands up pretty good.

I may have to keep the Queen Anne! I was pulling up linoleum in the Turret room, whoever put it down was the Staple King. My DNA is all over the house now! About bled out tonight! Tore my hands up pretty good.

:doh:
I know how that goes. I second the wearing of gloves. Annoying to work with, yes, but you won't donate any more blood. :p

Not sure if this should be here, or the 'what art is in your home' thread.
4efa42488ba8da25d21b79a78aa6b058.jpg

A study in white paint by my four year old Jackson Pollock wannabe. The little footprints go all out down the hall to the bathroom, where his second masterpiece was at least a little easier to clean off the tile.

Not sure if this should be here, or the 'what art is in your home' thread.
4efa42488ba8da25d21b79a78aa6b058.jpg

A study in white paint by my four year old Jackson Pollock wannabe. The little footprints go all out down the hall to the bathroom, where his second masterpiece was at least a little easier to clean off the tile.
I assume you kept it together reasonably well, then went outside and released a string of explatives. :p

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Just hope nobody gets murdered in the house and falls on the floor. They'll have your DNA all over them.

;)

Yes, I've lost my share of DNA to old houses too. Hope the new owners aren't the murderous or murdered types.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
A few pictures of the Turret room, which is also the master bedroom. Unfortunately in the front of the house. The floors are not to bad, looks like they were never finished, only a place where they patched in the chimney. Still have all the tack strips to pull up, oh joy!
%20Turret%201_zpssek5ugmh.jpg
%20Turret_zpsulurplhq.jpg
%20Turret%2014_zpsdkgxvgno.jpg
%20Turret%203_zpsccffjsfc.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82