Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Panadora

Practically Family
The old homeplace as it looked this morning.

I love black and white color photography :cool:

The same goes for this (from the Show us your photograhpy tread - hope it's OK!)

Took this today, my lawn under 11 inches. Dunno why, but I love pictures of the snow like this.

attachment.php

I don't have a White house and a big garden, but oure neighbor does

attachment.php

Attachments

• Oeregaard.jpg
    Oeregaard.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 327

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
It looks better today, because it's almost all gone. This time last year I was working in the garden. Hurry up Spring!

We have that weather here. All the trees are in bloom. As are our seasonal allergies. :(

(We didn't get snow once this winter. And only a hard frost a few times. The most bizarre I can remember. We'll be hurting this summer when there is no snow melt run off to fill lakes and reservoirs.)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
They say what happened is that the jet stream is really north this year, which pushes up the warm air making the West Coast warmer and then scoops up the cold air from the arctic and dumps it on the East Coast.

But it is highly unusual.

I am sick of days that don't break 10 degrees; we had 14 days where temps didn't go above zero. First time in my life I actually said to myself, "I had so many chances to get out, and I was too stubborn. Maybe I should've moved south or west."

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yeah, until I read that about the jet stream I was really miserable thinking that this was the new normal. (The weather got to me, and yes, it was making me talk crazy.)

Unless it gets to 50 to 60 degrees both today and tomorrow (it's -1 right now) we're on for the coldest February on record, since like 1850 when they started keeping record. So I guess tomorrow would have to reach over a 100 to make it off record.

I started panicking a bit the other day because my husband and I planted several trees at the new house (which also is having record cold) last year (fruit and nut). It hadn't occurred to me until then that they could be killed off (I'm too busy scraping off my car, shoveling, and trying to not freeze to death to mind). My husband reminded me that the little trees that I am so worried about are completed snow covered (we have about 3.5 feet) and wouldn't have budded as a result. Some of the larger apple trees aren't completed covered, but I figure they are tougher. And if they bud in this, they deserve what they get.

We have a supposed zone 5 (but I suspect a zone 6) hydrangea that often dies back when we have a snow melt in January and it buds followed by a temperature drop in February. We are debating if the snow will keep it insulated enough or if it is just too plain cold. The past couple of years it hasn't died back, but we will need to see.

They say what happened is that the jet stream is really north this year, which pushes up the warm air making the West Coast warmer and then scoops up the cold air from the arctic and dumps it on the East Coast.

But it is highly unusual.

I am sick of days that don't break 10 degrees; we had 14 days where temps didn't go above zero. First time in my life I actually said to myself, "I had so many chances to get out, and I was too stubborn. Maybe I should've moved south or west."

It isn't making any record heat over here. In fact, we are below average. I am not sure where the warm air is but it sure ain't here. It was much warmer here in the 80s. Seems like a cooling trend everywhere.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It isn't making any record heat over here. In fact, we are below average. I am not sure where the warm air is but it sure ain't here. It was much warmer here in the 80s. Seems like a cooling trend everywhere.

It's funny, a few weeks ago, we had record highs in the low 60s, now we hit 11 today, colder tomorrow. Minuses at night, and snow for the last three days, and more predicted until Wednesday!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

It's the pacific northwest, not the southern western coast. You're under the jetstream, normally, if my earth science memory is serving me. I'm not sure why you'd expect warmer temps from that?

It's the pacific northwest, not the southern western coast. You're under the jetstream, normally, if my earth science memory is serving me. I'm not sure why you'd expect warmer temps from that?

I am not on the southern west coast. I am in northern California. I should be right in it according to this:

And as usual the Weather Channel got it WAY wrong:

Maine is so much warmer than average this year. :rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82