Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The first and second one YES! The third and fourth HELL yes. The third and fourth look like barns in those hues. The third is the worst as it has no trim color to offset that DARK brown. Historically correct is one thing but ugly is another. Just because something is old doesn't mean it looks right. lol lol

So you would prefer this:

52d40d74483aa6f6f7b7eaa4063a6be3_zps6d23ccf8.jpg

To this?

53be37b015dd6ec8336547f003a5a0fb_zpsf8823817.jpg

Or this:

c5fc151e25ec6c45330241b4900c4cbe_zps7c583674.jpg

To this?

5021195e9b01bde6d5413cdfa29a9555_zps80518793.jpg

Oh, well!

De gustibus and all that...

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Please excuse the bad, distorted photo I snagged from Google Maps...but this Victorian is two doors down from my house in Beaufort. The people who live there constantly (and lovingly) paint their home. I think, for them, house painting must be a never-ending process.

AF

So you would prefer this:

52d40d74483aa6f6f7b7eaa4063a6be3_zps6d23ccf8.jpg

To this?

53be37b015dd6ec8336547f003a5a0fb_zpsf8823817.jpg

Or this:

c5fc151e25ec6c45330241b4900c4cbe_zps7c583674.jpg

To this?

5021195e9b01bde6d5413cdfa29a9555_zps80518793.jpg

Oh, well!

De gustibus and all that...

Nah, ALL white is no better than all Brown or all green. You have to have a decent trim color to make the acccents work. Both of the other options are fine. The colors aren't too way out or dark and foreboding.
Those two white houses could do well with trim in gray and black. As in the last house where you have tan around the window and the contrasting color on the sash.

Please excuse the bad, distorted photo I snagged from Google Maps...but this Victorian is two doors down from my house in Beaufort. The people who live there constantly (and lovingly) paint their home. I think, for them, house painting must be a never-ending process.

AF

Maybe they are using walmart paint, if they are constantly having to repaint it.

Be a good neighbor ...... point them to a sherwin-williams or something.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Definitely! Sherwin-Williams may cost more initially but it LASTS.

I've always found it interesting that the end of the popularity of multi- colored paint schemes coincided with the replacement of linseed resin paint with alkalyd resin and rubber based paint. Both of the newer paints are much easier to apply than the old product, but they have a far shorter life span in the weather. Properly applied linseed resin paint can last between thirty and fifty years in the weather if it's surface is occasionally refreshed with a coat of oil thinned with turps.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Does the paint peel on the house that gets repainted so much?

Most of what causes peeling paint on a house is poor insulation. If there isn't a dead air space that allows the clapboards to dry out, they will stay moist and then shed the paint.

My parent's house does this on the back end, which they re-clapboarded and put insulation behind. There is no dead air space and not sufficient insulation to keep moisture from moving inside the house out. As moisture moves out of the house, it contacts colder air at the clapboards and condenses. But because there is no dead air space, the insulation becomes soaked and is like constantly having a wet sponge on the clapboards. In un-insulated houses, this isn't a problem because the whole wall is dead air space.

This is why I shudder whenever they insulate a house with spray foam on this old house- no dead air space. And for other reasons.

I've always found it interesting that the end of the popularity of multi- colored paint schemes coincided with the replacement of linseed resin paint with alkalyd resin and rubber based paint. Both of the newer paints are much easier to apply than the old product, but they have a far shorter life span in the weather. Properly applied linseed resin paint can last between thirty and fifty years in the weather if it's surface is occasionally refreshed with a coat of oil thinned with turps.

Where can you get that easily today though?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Does the paint peel on the house that gets repainted so much?

Most of what causes peeling paint on a house is poor insulation. If there isn't a dead air space that allows the clapboards to dry out, they will stay moist and then shed the paint.

My parent's house does this on the back end, which they re-clapboarded and put insulation behind. There is no dead air space and not sufficient insulation to keep moisture from moving inside the house out. As moisture moves out of the house, it contacts colder air at the clapboards and condenses. But because there is no dead air space, the insulation becomes soaked and is like constantly having a wet sponge on the clapboards. In un-insulated houses, this isn't a problem because the whole wall is dead air space.

This is why I shudder whenever they insulate a house with spray foam on this old house- no dead air space. And for other reasons.

The problem is not so much dead air space as it is the lack of a proper vapor barrier and the sharp temperature gradient at the outer surface of the wall. Foam works rather well as both a vapor barrier and as an insulator. it will be less problematic than Fiberglas or cellulose insulation when retrofitted in an old house. That said, the walls are responsible for a rather low proportion of heat loss in. Oat well-built homes, on the order of 13%. It makes much more sense to concentrate one's sffort on the attic insulation and ventilation and on the proper weatherstripping of windows and doors, along with the maintenance of the caulking on all cracks in the structure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe