Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Some recent additions to my collection that I'm quite proud of:

ties1.jpg

ties2.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
a new tie clip

Well, now I get tie clips in addition to hats when I'm in antique stores.

Today's find is a RCA tie clip with Nipper on it (his master's voice). The clip has the letters DPB on the back. does this mean anything to anybody here?

nippertieclip.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
it looked like the store had gone to the estate sale of a dead druggist. There were three sets of mortar and pestle tieclip/cufflink sets. I didn't think I could get away with them, not being a druggist or doctor myself.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I looked carefully, the RCA logo is the old one with the lightning bolt, so I at least know it's from before the '80's? or whenever they redid it.

panamag8or

Practically Family
I was in broadcasting, so I have an affinity for broadcasting stuff. That is a great tie clip. I'll have to see if one shows up on eBay one day.

A recent (yesterday) haul from the Goodwill. Mostly late 20s and 30s.

GoodwillTies1.jpg

GoodwillTies2.jpg
GoodwillTies3.jpg

And two of these super rare green ones from the 20s. Green ties are relatively scarce. The one on the left is a woven silk, on the right is a silk brocade.

GoodwillTies4.jpg
GoodwillTies5.jpg

Also two of these horrid 40s things. I really, really, really hate them. I hate everything about the normal 40s ties you see. I give one of this type away every time i sell a suit or trousers.

GoodwillTies6.jpg

Baron Kurtz said:
Also two of these horrid 40s things. I really, really, really hate them. I hate everything about the normal 40s ties you see. I give one of this type away every time i sell a suit or trousers.

GoodwillTies6.jpg

I'd wear them. They look fine to me. With a blue, gray or black suit they would be just fine. Then I would wear just about every tie in this thread. :D
The only thing I actually dislike are flower type prints. [huh]

Regards,

J

The Duke

One of the Regulars
Nice looking ties from the 30s Baron. Most of my tie collection is 40s, Those two you posted are not bad.

I've been trimming out all the 40s ones. I have come to despise them to an almost inordinate degree.

A couple more from last week's run to the other Goodwill in town. First up is another frayed end kint tie. In one of those horrid tartan plaids designed to convince people they have some kind of connection to Scotland, however tenuous. Entirely contrived in the mid 1800s. This is from the mid 30s. Ain't it horrible?

GoodwillTies7.jpg

But this is a beauty! I love everything about it. Another late 30s Botany one.

GoodwillTies8.jpg
GoodwillTies9.jpg

bk

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Sir Dobbs said:
What does everyone think of tartan ties? I happen to be a big fan. They seem to look great with a tweed/herringbone jacket.

Don't much care for them, really...I do have one, and at least it's in my family tartan, but I hardly ever wear it.

Maybe one of the "muted" or supposedly "ancient" tartans might work okay...

Most of the "clan" tartans are in such godawful colour combinations that they look horrid. I despise everything about the "clan" tartans - for 200 year old political reasons more than anything else - and so avoid them like the plague.

(but i just can't avoid picking up a 30s tie when i see one. Off to rehab for me)

bk

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
327394997_11df07f47c_m.jpg

I like this Gap tartan tie because:
a) it's a heavy cotton flannel - very unusual for a tie.
b) it's mostly green and blue - but green predominates; usually blue should.
c) it happens, as I found out years after I got it, to relate, sorta, to a very common name that turns up in my ancestry.
Tartan: Ogilvie of Inverquharity. Among the family names associated with it is Richardson, also the birthname of one of my great-great-grandfathers. Which means exactly zip, I'm sure, but I can say (winkingly) it's "my tartan," with no endorsement of ancient anything implied. Basically, "Look, this green tie came and found me...zat cool or what?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally