Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
That there is the famous Bok Singing Tower of Lake Wales, Florida, built in 1929 and one of only two Art Deco carillons ever constructed.

tower.jpg

The "smoke" represents clouds. The design also incorporates flamingos and a garden pond. The teeny v's in the knot portion are bird silhouettes. Legend on back: "Wembley Sama-Fane (sp?) - Singing Tower - Styled in Florida."

Glad you dig 'em, Adam. The geometrics and repeated figures are really my favorites to wear, but I keep coming back to the picture panels.

I'm still trying to figure out what the 1st tie in the 1st pic represents. Rural Electrification???

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
You guys will like this one, then. A 4-sided tie from wartime Britain. 4 horrible tartan ties for the price of one! BellyTank also has one of these.

4Sided1.jpg
4Sided2.jpg

bk

Oh my goodness! I just sent some just like that to the charity shop because they were horrible... I wonder if they are the same ones?

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
i bought this one from blighty bay about a year ago. BTank got his about 6 months back - also from brit bay. get yours back and sell 'em to me!;)

bk

Oh dear, I'm usually quite good at spotting potential - but to be honest, these came from my late father in law and I was convinced they were post-war as he was in the army until 1948 and, I though, wouldn't have had much chance to wear non-khaki ties! But they might not have been his... Sorry. I'm sure someone appreciated them.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
"New" mostly '30s ties.

I got these today on our expedition up to Frederick,MD.
I am so clueless when it comes to ties, I just buy things I like.
So- for all you tie people out there- can you tell me what I bought?

Green tie
the tag reads "Resilient construction"
can you tell me a decade?
greentie.jpg

resiliantconstruction.jpg

Orange Tie
the tag reads "Arrow made in USA"
my parents and the shopkeeper described it as "ugly and loud"
orangetie.jpg

The tie clip almost matches my collar bar, only the clip is 1934, and the bar is 1933.
1934.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Quigley-
I found the green one at Venus on the Halfshell. I thought place was overpriced, and besides their bowling shirts, didn't have a very good selection.

The Orange tie and the Stratoliner both came from an antique shop with a name that's not coming to me. Maybe if I describe it, you'll know what i'm talking about.
It's a big stone building on a hill near the river in downtown with a chute of some sort going across the road.

That's not much help. Let me go dig for the reciept.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I know both places. I'm just a block from Venus. She is overpriced. I've sold stuff to her and to tell you the truth that top tie may have been one that I sold her.:)

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
adamgottschalk said:
Nice ties. I think the repro is either second from left or second from right.

Good eyes! The repro is second from left...the tie that is second from right is a vintage Haband!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally