Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Re: the last (boys?) one you showed, Ray. What is the line of lightness around the base of the jacket in the shot from the back?

CIMG8975.jpg

There's no mention of a maker, right? I have one with similar proportions (though differing button stance) from the 50s which was made by "Fraternity Prep. Clothiers".

bk

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Carried over from another thread

This is a suit I bought around 1992 or so. It is Italian tweed with very high armholes and it fits me very well. I have been wearing it for years with little visable wear.

The hat is a Borsalino and the tie is a nice woven wool with the frayed edges that Amanda picked out for me at a vintage shop in Phoenix.

I was surprised to learn that it like this one from Seabiscuit.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:

This is a suit I bought around 1992 or so. It is Italian tweed with very high armholes and it fits me very well. I have been wearing it for years with little visable wear.

The hat is a Borsalino and the tie is a nice woven wool with the frayed edges that Amanda picked out for me at a vintage shop in Phoenix.

I was surprised to learn that it like this one from Seabiscuit.

I am pretty much strictly a vintage collector. But I would sport that suit. Very nice. SUprising you found something like that. I guess there are always rouge designers out there.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Jovan said:
Does everything have to be original vintage?

Who said that it did?

I'll share a little secret with you, Jovan. If I could get new clothes with the same cut, fabric, quality and price as the vintage stuff, I'd stick to the new. I don't buy vintage out of some desire to mystically "bond" with the past through its "totems"; I just like the look, feel, manufacture and cost of the stuff. Old or new, it's all the same to me.

I am particularly interested to see Mr. H's (was it he?) latest suit. Apparently it's being made up in a 20 Oz fabric.

I agree with Marc. If modern off-the-peg were consistently of anywhere even close to the standard of 30s/40s i'd probably still be buying modern. It's simply not good enough. Cheap, flimsy, plastic fabrics and boxy, unfitted, unflattering cuts are simply not worth $100 and more. MIght as well wear a hop-sack. At least that'd be vintage-accurate, eh?

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Vintage clothing --unless it's deadstock and in perfect shape-- can have a lot of disadvantages. Where do I begin? Damage, smells, strange past alterations, odd sizes and measurements, etc.

Often these inconveniences are still worth the relatively low "sticker price." Even so, I envy the ease that comes with new clothes: no damage, smells, and so on ...

Jovan

Suspended
I think you guys completely disregarded my last sentence, in which I said "made for you." I never implied you should wear modern off the rack instead. Tailors will often have the fabrics you're looking for, and if they're good, be willing to experiment.

that's absolutely the point. The vintage clothing we're mostly finding is off-the-peg, not bespoke; Not even MTM. Frankly, there're probably only a few members who could afford, or have the inclination, to go bespoke. The few bespoke vintage items i've seen were much closer to their off-the-peg contemporaries than are current off-the-peg to current bespoke offerings. (And it is undoubtedly the off-the-peg that's gotten worse, not the bespoke better)

(for the record, i will always argue that bespoke is best, if they can provide the fabric i would demand).

But this above is the reason most of us vintage-istos will stick with vintage. The quality for the dollar is just not to be beat.

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Jovan said:
I think you guys completely disregarded my last sentence, in which I said "made for you." I never implied you should wear modern off the rack instead. Tailors will often have the fabrics you're looking for, and if they're good, be willing to experiment.

PRICE, PRICE, PRICE.

I just sold a wonderful '30s 'Hart Schaffner Marx' suit for $301. Do you actually think that any modern tailor, anywhere, can make a suit like that
-- with the same quality -- for such a price? Or even for several hundred dollars more?

The answer is no. So don't go spouting nonsense implying that tailors within my budget -- and yours -- have the wherewithal to make a suit which truly matches the quality of a really good vintage one. You can kid yourself all you want, but don't go around trying to kid others. It's a waste of their time.

Jovan

Suspended
Baron Kurtz said:
that's absolutely the point. The vintage clothing we're mostly finding is off-the-peg, not bespoke; Not even MTM. Frankly, there're probably only a few members who could afford, or have the inclination, to go bespoke. The few bespoke vintage items i've seen were much closer to their off-the-peg contemporaries than are current off-the-peg to current bespoke offerings. (And it is undoubtedly the off-the-peg that's gotten worse, not the bespoke better)

(for the record, i will always argue that bespoke is best, if they can provide the fabric i would demand).

But this above is the reason most of us vintage-istos will stick with vintage. The quality for the dollar is just not to be beat.

bk
Thank you for posting something constructive in response to me.

I do agree, a $300 bespoke =! quality of best OTR clothing houses from back then. But I suggest it mainly for those, like me, who have consistently been unable to find a vintage OR modern suit that really fits them, even considering alterations. For the record, I think the one I own will last quite a while, and is pretty damn well featured (like rubber strips to hold one's shirt in the waistband, and reinforced pant hems, as well as sweat guards) constructed for the price I paid. Better than most OTRs three or even four times its price. It does have the requisite floating canvas, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82