Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

mike

Call Me a Cab
Marc, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you win a particularly striking Brooks Brothers (?) 1920's (?) 2 piece suit consisting of a black and white take off on a herringbone weave that -almost- resembled diamonds? Do you have any further pictures or insight upon receiving the suit? :)

135998193_o.jpg

135996468_o.jpg

GBR

One of the Regulars
MarcusB said:
New new suit

3256827022_a926496111_b.jpg

Very difficult to tell much from this view. Can you tell us about it, make, cloth, specification and so on? A set of pictures would help - the sort of thing here such as:

Front and rear views with coat on standing up

Front and rear without coat on for the trousers
the inside of the coat

Proifle (side) with the coat on can also help.

funneman

Practically Family
Latest Ebay Victory

I'm no match for some of the fine vintage suits in this thread but here's my
Black and White Kuppenheimer DB. That Stetson is actually gray, don't know
why it came out brown in the flash:

008-1.jpg

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
nickn5 said:
this one is 1930s or not?
Looks thirties to me and the site you bought it from seem to know what they're talking about. I get the impression the seller was a tailor from having looked at a few of their auctions. Plus you have the makers name. Really nice suit IMO.

stephen1965 said:
Looks thirties to me

30s maybe. The label is something that's throwing me out. The trousers are very old style, but that's a very bad dating tool. Without a date we can never be sure.

stephen1965 said:
the site you bought it from seem to know what they're talking about.

He does, but with a sad tendency to intentionally mis-sell suits. At least these days he puts "style" into the auctions that aren't the era he hopes buyers believe they are. He didn't in the past, and this earned him a reputation as a charlatan amongst those of us who knew what we were looking at. It seemed for a while that almost anything was "just like demob". He was promoting obviously 1980s suits as 1930s-40s. I saved a few FLoungers from big mistakes. He gets a lot of good, old, stuff but he also does himself a disservice by promoting things as coming from eras from which he knows perfectly well they do not originate.

stephen1965 said:
I get the impression the seller was a tailor from having looked at a few of their auctions.

Not quite, but he was in the clothing trade.

bk

mike

Call Me a Cab
I think buying suits especially from England can be often misleading because the tailoring, details and cuts as seen in photos can look in period at a first glance, but if you purchase them and handle them it's easy to realize from the linings or fabric that they are in fact suits made in the 60's or more recently with classic styles (fishtailed trouser backs, sbpl, etc etc) because the desire for these aesthetics remained popular much longer than in the US (even if it was just by older clients.)

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Here's my find from last month. A 1940's Kuppenhiemer, Double Breasted. Fits like a glove, the only bad thing is some fading on the right shoulder but you really cant tell unless your looking for it. It has a union tag and a identification tag. I heard there is a way to date union tags, any info on that?
I'll get a better picture of it on me tomarrow.
Imported018.jpg

Imported020.jpg

benstephens

Practically Family
I believe I can say it is pre 1953, as Jacksons the Tailor was taken over (or merged) with Burtons. They were a very large off the peg tailor in the North.

I feel it may be pre war, the Label has a more continental feel, but the owner was a Russian, the first outlet being set up in 1900.

Kindest Regards

Ben

nickn5 said:
this one is 1930s or not?

An Ebay win from yesterday:

76af_1.JPG

Lots more photos on the auction page. Just need to find a nice waistcoat to go with it now..

N. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe